[comp.sys.amiga] Needed: Smalltalk for the Amiga

sasgwb@mozart.unx.sas.com (Gary Black) (08/24/90)

I am in need of an implementation of Smalltalk (preferably Smalltalk-80) for
the Amiga.  I know a Public Domain version exists on Fred Fish 37, but I'm
hoping to find Smalltalk-80.  Anyone know of any?

E-mail replies to:

sasgwb@mozart.unx.sas.com

obrien@aero.aero.org (Michael O'Brien) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug24.013033.20516@unx.sas.com>,
sasgwb@mozart.unx.sas.com (Gary Black) writes:
|> I am in need of an implementation of Smalltalk (preferably
Smalltalk-80) for
|> the Amiga.  I know a Public Domain version exists on Fred Fish 37, but I'm
|> hoping to find Smalltalk-80.  Anyone know of any?

ParcPlace won't do it because the market's too small, and they won't let
anyone else do it for them unless the prospect pays $100K for ParcPlace
system source.  I'd go with the GNU Smalltalk and hope it grows a real
user interface soon.  The Amiga 3000 is the closest thing I've seen to
a great platform for ST80 and I think the current situation is a damn
shame.
--
Mike O'Brien
obrien@aerospace.aero.org

dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca (Dave Buck) (08/28/90)

In article <82258@aerospace.AERO.ORG> obrien@aero.aero.org (Michael O'Brien) writes:

>In article <1990Aug24.013033.20516@unx.sas.com>,
>sasgwb@mozart.unx.sas.com (Gary Black) writes:
>|> I am in need of an implementation of Smalltalk (preferably
>Smalltalk-80) for
>|> the Amiga.  I know a Public Domain version exists on Fred Fish 37, but I'm
>|> hoping to find Smalltalk-80.  Anyone know of any?
>
>ParcPlace won't do it because the market's too small, and they won't let
>anyone else do it for them unless the prospect pays $100K for ParcPlace
>system source.  I'd go with the GNU Smalltalk and hope it grows a real
>user interface soon.

I don't know if it's much help, but I've sucessfully run ParcPlace
Smalltalk under AMax.  You need a lot of memory, however and ideally
some hard disk support (I'm waiting for AMax II).  I've partially
ported GNU Smalltalk to the Amiga, but I couldn't get it to read back
an image file properly.  After that I ran out of time to work on it.

David Buck

| David Buck                    | My employer is not responsible for|
| dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca         | my opinions.  I'm not even sure   |
| David_Buck@carleton.ca        | I am.                             |
|_______________________________|___________________________________|

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (08/29/90)

In article <82258@aerospace.AERO.ORG> obrien@aero.aero.org (Michael O'Brien) writes:

> ParcPlace won't do it [port Smalltalk-80 to the Amiga] because the
> market's too small, and they won't let anyone else do it for them
> unless the prospect pays $100K for ParcPlace system source.  I'd go
> with the GNU Smalltalk and hope it grows a real user interface soon.
> The Amiga 3000 is the closest thing I've seen to a great platform
> for ST80 and I think the current situation is a damn shame.

I agree; and the lack of a Common Lisp with CLOS for the Amiga makes
the current situation all the worse.

Any chance we could convince Digitalk to port Smalltalk/V to the
Amiga?  Since they already have ports for IBM PC, PS/2, and Mac, the
Amiga would seem like a logical next step for them.

--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian E Rhodefer) (08/29/90)

In article <SDL.90Aug28131411@lyra.linus.mitre.org> sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:

>Any chance we could convince Digitalk to port Smalltalk/V to the
>Amiga?  Since they already have ports for IBM PC, PS/2, and Mac, the
>Amiga would seem like a logical next step for them.

They have a port for the Sun, too.  It'd be plenty wonderful to
have it for the Amiga.

Brian Rhodefer

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug24.013033.20516@unx.sas.com> sasgwb@mozart.unx.sas.com (Gary Black) writes:
|I am in need of an implementation of Smalltalk (preferably Smalltalk-80) for
|the Amiga.  I know a Public Domain version exists on Fred Fish 37, but I'm
|hoping to find Smalltalk-80.  Anyone know of any?

	Smalltalk-V isn't likely to be ported to the
	Amiga in the near future, and ParcPlace wants
	Big Buck$ for the source (they have no interest
	in an Amiga port).

	However, Gnu Smalltalk can be had for free, but
	would need to be ported both in terms of writing
	the virtual machine for AmigaDOS, and also to add
	some graphics operators to the opcodes...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (09/04/90)

In article <34261@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>In article <1990Aug24.013033.20516@unx.sas.com> sasgwb@mozart.unx.sas.com (Gary Black) writes:
>|I am in need of an implementation of Smalltalk (preferably Smalltalk-80) for
>|the Amiga.
>
>	Smalltalk-V isn't likely to be ported to the
>	Amiga in the near future, ...

Well, last I heard, an Amiga port of Smalltalk/V was right behind them
doing a NeXT version.  Everyone should do like I do and hound Digitalk
to do Smalltalk/V Amiga.  They're digitalk on BIX, and about once every
4-6 months I plead for an Amiga port.  I've written letters, and I've
even offered to do the job for them.

If all Amigans were to do the same...

-scott