[comp.sys.amiga] Parnet24, the 3000 and 1.3

S36666WB@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Brian Wright) (09/02/90)

Hello again,

      I posted this a while back and got only a few responses from people
who wanted parnet too.

      I am wondering if it is possible to have both the 1.3 AND 2.0 partitions
visible at the same time.  I am planning to connect my 1000 to my 3000 through
the parallel port.  Then, by running Parnet, I can boot the 1000 from my 3000's
HD.   The problem is that the 1000 uses 1.3 and the 3000 uses 2.0.  I would
prefer to just use the 1.3 partition already on the HD rather than wasting
space in my WORK: partition and put yet another directory for 1.3.  Any help
would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

||To steal from one is plagiarism.  To steal from many is research.    ||
||___________________________________               ---UNKNOWN---      ||
||                                   |      / /                        ||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

In <9009011941.AA13565@lilac.berkeley.edu>, S36666WB@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Brian Wright) writes:
>Hello again,
>
>      I posted this a while back and got only a few responses from people
>who wanted parnet too.
>
>      I am wondering if it is possible to have both the 1.3 AND 2.0 partitions
>visible at the same time.  I am planning to connect my 1000 to my 3000 through
>the parallel port.  Then, by running Parnet, I can boot the 1000 from my 3000's
>HD.   The problem is that the 1000 uses 1.3 and the 3000 uses 2.0.  I would
>prefer to just use the 1.3 partition already on the HD rather than wasting
>space in my WORK: partition and put yet another directory for 1.3.  Any help
>would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

Not the way things are currently set up, but it is possible to get around the
problem in another way. The problem is that you will have to do a lot of
fiddling with things yourself, rather than relying on the installation programs
and scripts supplied by CBM. This will mean that updates to the OS will be a
little more painful.

The idea is to reduce the size of the 1.3 partition to the minimum, put the
minimum startup stuff on it, and to put the rest of your 1.3 environment on the
common (largest) partition. I had reason to do this a while back, and it's a
bit of a hassle, but definitely works.

Here's a little tip for using pre-existing programs under 2.0. I made a
directory called 'C2' on my work partition, and use it to store hard links to
1.3 programs on the same partition. I include C2 in my PATH, allowing 2.0 to
access those programs painlessly, and at a cost of only a single block for
every link, while 'hiding' the programs that don't work under 2.0.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill