[comp.sys.amiga] Request info on Rigid Disk Blocks and move to 2.0

akcs.clemon@wcbcs (Craig Lemon) (09/03/90)

Hello all, I believe I posted this once before but it went to UseNet limbo.
I have a B2000 with a reasonably hefty amount of exapansion.  For a while
now I've been kind of planning my steps when I get the 2.0 upgrade kit (you
know, when I can't get to sleep etc...).  I have a Microbotics
HardFrame/2000 with a Quantum Prodrive 105S.  For anyone familiar with the
Hardframe you will know that it uses the Rigid Disk Block standard instead
of a mountlist.  I was wondering what I should put in the FileSystem blank
when I get 2.0.  Just FastFileSystem instead of l:FastFileSystem?  When
should I actually make the change?  Just before I do the new installation or
just after?  I don't regularly keep a backup set because it's almost too
many disks to spare (no flames on this please, I doubt there will be any, I
keep partial backups of my most important stuff).  Should I just nuke my
system directories and then copy all 2.0?

   I suppose a few of these questions are pre-mature and I don't want to
sound like someone who is uninformed, just found out that 1.4 is now 2.0,
and is bugging everyone to know when it is to be released :-).  It's simple
the fact that my feed through TO the real world works so flakily that I have
to try to ask any and all questions at the same time.

   As an aside, I might like to add that a way to call up 1.3 (maybe a KS
file on disk) would ease the changeover until all software is 2.0
compatible.  I have worked for a long time setting my system up with
scripts, macros, AREXX, utilites like mymenu etc... and I understand that
all of that goes 'poof!' at 2am WBT (WorkBench Time :-).  I just want the
change to go smoothly without a nasty reformat and hope that CBM takes this
into consideration.

-- AmigaSig v1.10  Nobody, 1990.  Please send cash! (lots :-)
                              _
 Craig Lemon              // |_|                    | "Disclaimer?? :-}"
 Kitchener, Ontario     \X/  | |  M  I  G  A        |

 Amiga B2000/10 -- 2400 bps -- AmigaUUCP 1.03D      | "Be excellent to each
 ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!lemsys!clemon        |  other!"
 ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!{_clemon|AKCS.clemon}|        -Who Else?

rps2@amoeba2.UUCP (Rick Stevens) (09/04/90)

>In article <[26e268f9:7151]comp.sys.amiga@wcbcs> akcs.clemon@wcbcs (Craig Lemon) writes:
>Hello all, I believe I posted this once before but it went to UseNet limbo.
>I have a B2000 with a reasonably hefty amount of exapansion.  For a while
>now I've been kind of planning my steps when I get the 2.0 upgrade kit (you
>know, when I can't get to sleep etc...).  I have a Microbotics
>HardFrame/2000 with a Quantum Prodrive 105S.  For anyone familiar with the
>Hardframe you will know that it uses the Rigid Disk Block standard instead
>of a mountlist.  I was wondering what I should put in the FileSystem blank
>when I get 2.0.  Just FastFileSystem instead of l:FastFileSystem?

Yes, just use "FastFileSystem".  FFS is built into ROM in 3000s and part of
the KickIt image on 2000s.  Actually, it is best left alone until the 2.0
ROMs come out for the 2000 family.  If you change the entry, you won't be
able to boot 1.3.  So, don't muck about with your RDB until 2.0 ROMs come
out.  When you set up your hard disk partitions for 2.0, make sure that you
have a copy of FastFileSystem in the l: directory of that partition.  All
will be fine.

>When
>should I actually make the change?  Just before I do the new installation or
>just after?  I don't regularly keep a backup set because it's almost too
>many disks to spare (no flames on this please, I doubt there will be any, I
>keep partial backups of my most important stuff).  Should I just nuke my
>system directories and then copy all 2.0?

With 2.0 ROMs, make the change before you boot up under 2.0.  In other words,
use RDPrep to change your RDB (don't forget to have RDPrep read it first,
then modify it and write it back).  If you don't touch ANYTHING else in the
RDB, you shouldn't gronch anything.  Be extra careful about the starting
and ending cylinders of the partitions.  You munch those and your system
will be very unhappy.  Of course, the BEST thing to do is back up your
disks before doing any of this.  It's easy to mess up, and it's never fun
to try to recover.

>   I suppose a few of these questions are pre-mature and I don't want to
>sound like someone who is uninformed, just found out that 1.4 is now 2.0,
>and is bugging everyone to know when it is to be released :-).  It's simple
>the fact that my feed through TO the real world works so flakily that I have
>to try to ask any and all questions at the same time.

They're not premature at all.  This new OS is a major change and there's
going to be teething problems during the first few months (remember what
happened when 1.2 and 1.3 came out?).

>   As an aside, I might like to add that a way to call up 1.3 (maybe a KS
>file on disk) would ease the changeover until all software is 2.0
>compatible.  I have worked for a long time setting my system up with
>scripts, macros, AREXX, utilites like mymenu etc... and I understand that
>all of that goes 'poof!' at 2am WBT (WorkBench Time :-).  I just want the
>change to go smoothly without a nasty reformat and hope that CBM takes this
>into consideration.

The KickIt system has a method to ask you which specie of software you want.
It's a modification (rather large, actually) to your S:Startup-Sequence.
It checks to see what version of software booted up, and if it's 1.3, it
asks you if you want 2.0 instead.  If you say "Yes", 2.0 comes up.

>-- AmigaSig v1.10  Nobody, 1990.  Please send cash! (lots :-)
>                              _
> Craig Lemon              // |_|                    | "Disclaimer?? :-}"
> Kitchener, Ontario     \X/  | |  M  I  G  A        |
> Amiga B2000/10 -- 2400 bps -- AmigaUUCP 1.03D      | "Be excellent to each
> ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!lemsys!clemon        |  other!"
> ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!{_clemon|AKCS.clemon}|        -Who Else?

          Rick Stevens, Small Scale Systems of Southern California
         (sort of) Representing MicroBotics, Inc. on Usenet and CIS
  sysop@xyclone.uucp | rps2@amoeba2.uucp | CIS: 75006,1355 | BIX: smallscale
  "I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                            - Baby Herman

drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (09/04/90)

(Mail bounced so I post here)

I'm currently running both 1.3 and the current version of 2.0 on my B2000 with
Hardframe and GVP A3001 accelerator.  Microbotics worked with CBM on the RDB
and it has become the standard.  Therefore no change should be necessary in
your RDB at all.  As for mountlists, the only change would be to delete the
FileSystem line completely (although I've run this version of 2.0 on several
machines with mountlists and they worked without the modification).  Overall
this upgrade should be a smooth one.

  /  \___/__/___/ |_      /__/__/__/_/_-_/__/_/  The Displaced Razorback.
The Amiga Computer - "...a more fiendish disputant than the Great
Hyperbolic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve..."
-D.Adams;  Well, almost.