[comp.sys.amiga] WB 2.0

joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) (05/02/90)

In article <468@oregon.oacis.org> jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) writes:
>In article <11961@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>>This doesn't really answer your question, but I just played with an A3000
>>and, to be quite honest, all the Workbench operations occurred so quickly that
>>I didn't even have time to start up something else in the meantime.
>>
>>We're talking major speed here.
>
>Unfortunately, this doesn't do much for those of us with A2000's who have
>no intention of buying a new A3000.
>
>I know you're impressed with the A3000 (so am I), but the issue with
>this question is Workbench 2.0. I think it's unfortunate that C= has
>spent so much time and money improving the look and feel of 2.0 and
>they didn't address this fundamental issue, especially when a
>prototype system was shown to BADGE (with Jim Mackraz in attendance)
>almost a year ago.

Performance improvement is a significant feature of 2.0 and will be very
noticeable on other Amiga models as well, especially systems with hard disks.
There is a world of difference between 2.0 and the software you saw last year.
Both the graphical elements (layers/graphics/intuition) and data throughput
(ffs) have had performance boosts since then.
  Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
  Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
  Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG

jrc@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Joseph R. Castillo) (09/03/90)

  I posted this before, but I don't think it reached anyone.

   Does anyone know when WB2.0, the ROMS and the Denise chip will
be released?  I remember September was a release date, but will
it actually be released then?

--
  Joseph Castillo
  jrc@sactoh0.UUCP

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (09/03/90)

Also, has anyone heard Commodore's policy on distributing the ROMs??
I mean, I feel I am entitled to them free of charge. That doesn't sound
too unreasonable to me!

Duane Fields

drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (09/04/90)

Well, free of charge is a little ridiculous for the amount of work they put
into this new operating system.

BUT, what I'd like to know is when the Includes & Autodocs and Libs & Devices
will be available so I can begin making use of all the new features.

 _______              __________
  _/____) '  __  /_/       /  '  /  / __  _      "N.I.N.J.A.J.I.S."-Me
  /  \___/__/___/ |_      /__/__/__/_/_-_/__/_/  The Displaced Razorback.
  ___________________________________________/   Founder:  IDGAFF Ltd.
The Amiga Computer - "...a more fiendish disputant than the Great
Hyperbolic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve..."
-D.Adams;  Well, almost.

slfields@uokmax.uucp (Scott L Fields) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Sep4.140956.20071@uokmax.uucp> drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>Well, free of charge is a little ridiculous for the amount of work they put
>into this new operating system.
>
>BUT, what I'd like to know is when the Includes & Autodocs and Libs & Devices
>will be available so I can begin making use of all the new features.

How about the whole set of manuals while they are at it?
How about the rom and super denise?
How about today?

{wishfull thinking}