[comp.sys.amiga] New A1000 kickstart question

inb300campbe@qut.edu.au (08/24/90)

Hello,

I have been developing a debugger that I plan to install as a debugger
in my boot-rom on my A1000 (only 8k out of 64k is used at the moment).
In the process I have attempted to test it by booting it as a kickstart.

It is now successfully running as a kickstart, but it took me a long
time to figure out that sector $201 on the kickstart disk must
remain identical to the normal kickstart disk.  Sector $201 maps
to location $ffff00.

If I boot my debugger with sector $201 all zeros, then custom chip
interrupts refuse to occur, but if I copy the sector from the 1.3
kickstart, the debugger runs fine.

What is the significance of the page of memory at $ffff00?  Are there
some sort of control locations there?  It isn't code anyway!

Thanks.
David Campbell

inb300campbe@redgum.qut.edu.au

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (09/05/90)

In article <14138.26d4fefc@qut.edu.au> inb300campbe@qut.edu.au writes:

> It is now successfully running as a kickstart, but it took me a long
> time to figure out that sector $201 on the kickstart disk must
> remain identical to the normal kickstart disk.  Sector $201 maps
> to location $ffff00.
>
> What is the significance of the page of memory at $ffff00?  Are there
> some sort of control locations there?  It isn't code anyway!

Indeed there is some data there crucial to the startup process. The length
of the kickstart can quickly be recognized for example. Leaving the last 40 or
so bytes intact should solve your problem.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327