[comp.sys.amiga] Editorial comment: Why isn't Dave Haynie designing Bridgeboards?

In <25204@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, hunt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) writes:
>This is just sort of a gripe, but I just *had* to say it:  why isn't
>Dave Haynie responsible for the Brideboards?
>
>From what I've seen on the topic of 80386 Brideboards, Dave seems to
>really know about the 80386 architecture.

See my current .signature for the likely reason.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

hunt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) (08/26/90)

This is just sort of a gripe, but I just *had* to say it:  why isn't
Dave Haynie responsible for the Brideboards?

From what I've seen on the topic of 80386 Brideboards, Dave seems to
really know about the 80386 architecture.  He also was the lead
designer of the A2630 and of the famed Amiga 3000 and its CPU expansion
slot (read: 68040 expansion slot).  Furthermore, He is both a hardware guru
and an experienced programmer (as well as a nice guy) -- important traits
for this inharently (?sp) hardware and software intensive project.

From one of Dave's postings, he said that C= Germany was responible for
the Brideboard designs.  Well, from C= Germany we also got the original
A2000 (which had to be replaced by the B2000), the first slow 8088
Bridgeboard (which seems to have started the shared-memory tradition
of interprocessor communication -- an inheriently slow method),
and the 80286 too-thick-to-be-believed Bridgeboard which
physically obstructs an adjacent slot.

Maybe I'm way off base about these apparent design problems.  Perhaps
they were too hard to overcome via other methods at the time.  But, I still
feel that Dave should be in charge of the (perhaps nonexistant) 80386
Bridgeboard because it is a technically challanging problem which could
either be done well, or done easily and poorly.

A cheap, well-designed '386 Bridgeboard would be so popular and important
to the Amiga's livelyhood that it must be taken seriously.

--Lee
"Nothing is more disorginized than Calvinball!" -- Calvin & Hobbes
hunt@spot.colorado.edu   ...!ncar!boulder!spot!hunt

In article <25204@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hunt@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) writes:
>This is just sort of a gripe, but I just *had* to say it:  why isn't
>Dave Haynie responsible for the Brideboards?
>
>From what I've seen on the topic of 80386 Brideboards, Dave seems to
>really know about the 80386 architecture.  He also was the lead
>designer of the A2630 and of the famed Amiga 3000 and its CPU expansion
>slot (read: 68040 expansion slot).  Furthermore, He is both a hardware guru
>and an experienced programmer (as well as a nice guy) -- important traits
>for this inharently (?sp) hardware and software intensive project.

	What would you rather see Mr. Guru work on: The A3640
(68040 board) or the BB. Personally, I'd much rather him make the
Amiga better, not the IBM.

>--Lee
>"Nothing is more disorginized than Calvinball!" -- Calvin & Hobbes
>hunt@spot.colorado.edu   ...!ncar!boulder!spot!hunt

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait
NumCountries--

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (08/28/90)

In article <25204@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, hunt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) writes...
^This is just sort of a gripe, but I just *had* to say it:  why isn't
^Dave Haynie responsible for the Brideboards?
^

[good points deleted]

^
^A cheap, well-designed '386 Bridgeboard would be so popular and important
^to the Amiga's livelyhood that it must be taken seriously.
^

Not to mention the fact that someone just released a 386 NuBus board for the Mac
recently.  It'd be real nice to have a 386 board for the Ami.  Take whatever
the count is for wanting the board and bump it by one ;-).

^
^--Lee
^hunt@spot.colorado.edu   ...!ncar!boulder!spot!hunt

NT

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

steve@digibd (Steve Wahl) (09/05/90)

In article <25204@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hunt@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) writes:
>This is just sort of a gripe, but I just *had* to say it:  why isn't
>Dave Haynie responsible for the Brideboards?
>
>--Lee
>"Nothing is more disorginized than Calvinball!" -- Calvin & Hobbes
>hunt@spot.colorado.edu   ...!ncar!boulder!spot!hunt

Perhaps he doesn't want to work with Intel stuff?  Perhaps his
managers want him to forge ahead with the Amiga line instead of
working with the excess baggage :-).  I don't know, I'm just happy
with what he's done so far.

Just because the person who designed parts of our favorite computer
happens to be on the net doesn't mean we can tell him what to do!  I'm
not flaming at Lee, and I hope it doesn't sound that way.  It's just
that those who put "Are you listening, Commodore?" or "Hey, Dave H.!!
are you listening?" in their posts aren't treating the *privilege* of
having people from C/A and CATS on usenet as a privilege.  (Shouting
"Hey, Dave H.!" might be more reasonable when asking questions about
one of his PD utilities, though).  Let's remember they don't have to
be here, and try not to expect more out of them than ordinary usenet
members.  If we get more from them than that, it's more frosting on
the cake.

Thank you, Dave Haynie, for being a contributing member of usenet.

--> Steve

--

Steve Wahl               uunet!digibd!steve
DigiBoard Inc.