[comp.sys.amiga] USERS' GROUPS - Request for Newsletter Swap

LadyHawke@cup.portal.com (Classic - Concepts) (09/03/90)

                Amiga Users' Groups -- Newsletter Swap
                ======================================

    Want to swap newsletters with our Bellingham users' group?  We're
gearing up again for fall.  This being a small town (less than 50,000)
we don't have a large group, but it's an enthusiastic one, and we've just
expanded our modest newsletter.  We feel it would benefit our members
to be able to see and read newsletters from other groups and to keep in
touch by sharing ours.  It's desktop published entirely on the Amiga.

    So, we already sent a few to those for whom we have addresses:

             *   Scanlines      *  Amiga Users of the Heartland
             *   Knightly Knews        *  S.M.A.U.G

        PaNorAmA -- What's your current mailing address?  We have an
        original for you!!

    If you're also interested in being on our mailing list, send your
snail address to me email, or just send a newsletter to:

                BelAmi!  Bellingham Amiga Users
                c/o PO Box 786, Bellingham, WA 98227-0786

     We don't have a contact phone number yet, but we may be setting up a
BBS in the future.  We'll keep you posted.  Oh, by the way.  We'd love to
find ways to share this newsletter electronically, and save a few trees,
but we haven't found a way to do that and still protect the copyrights,
pictures of artists who contribute images to the newsletter.  If you have
any suggestions in this direction, let us know.

     Also, if you're hurting for contributions to your own newsletter and
would like to include the BelAmi! newsletter as an insert to your own
distribution, let us know and we can send a master on bright white paper.
We're thinking of an arrangement similar to the way INFO included the
MIDNIGHT GAZETTE.

     Finally, if you don't have a newsletter to swap, and would like a
copy of ours to share with your group, let us know.  We'll share as many
as our budget will allow.  One of the strengths of the Amiga community is
that there has been a high degree of sharing and cooperation and we'd
like to see this trend continue.

     Any questions?   Contact me email and I'll try to get the answers.

                                                                       /
                                                      \             / /
                                                       \\\' ,      / //
                                                        \\\//    _/ //'
         __ _________________________________________    \_-//' /  //<'
        ///  Julie Petersen  (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com     \ ///  <//'
       ///           Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com)    /  >>   \\\`
 __   ///                                                 /,)-^>>  _\`
 \\\ ///     My employer agrees with me completely ...    (/   \\ / \\\
  \\///            (I am my own employer.)                      //  //\\\
   ----------------------------------------------------       ((`

LadyHawke@cup.portal.com (Classic - Concepts) writes:

>                Amiga Users' Groups -- Newsletter Swap
>                ======================================

>     We don't have a contact phone number yet, but we may be setting up a
>BBS in the future.  We'll keep you posted.  Oh, by the way.  We'd love to
>find ways to share this newsletter electronically, and save a few trees,
>but we haven't found a way to do that and still protect the copyrights,
>pictures of artists who contribute images to the newsletter.  If you have
>any suggestions in this direction, let us know.

[I would have just emailed this to July but I figure that some others out
there might be interested in what our usergroup is doing]

Our usergroup has went from publishing a paper newsletter to publishing
a disk based newsletter. After several attempts I finally conviced them to
change. My arguments were:

1> Less hassling with desk top publishing software.
2> We can include pictures and sounds with the articles
3> The savings in photocopying, stapling and folding alone would pay the
   difference alone in the added cost of mailing the disks and the disks
   themselves.
4> If they are worried too much about the costs, they could always tell the
   members: "Either give us 12 blank disks to cover the cost of the newsdisk
   or give us $6 to cover the cost"

We have been doing it for around 3 issues now and it keeps getting better
all the time. As of right now the group is being really cheap and not mailing
them out, you have to go to the meeting to pick up your disk. But the disk is
free, covered by the cost of membership.

In addition to this we also have a monthly software disk, culled from
submissions to the clubs BBS. This disk is a trade, one blank disk for it.

It is all menu driven, with a special program written in CanDo by our president
Chuck Welsh.

July, I will forward your letter to the usergroup and if they want to swap
newsletters, they will contact you, ok?

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

sparks@corpane.UUCP, I write:

>[I would have just emailed this to July but I figure that some others out
                                    ^^^^

>July, I will forward your letter to the usergroup and if they want to swap
^^^^^^

Sheesh! I'm sorry. It's Julie. July is a month. heheh. I realized this just
after I posted the last message.