[comp.sys.amiga] More questions from a new A3000 owner

dg@sundog.caltech.edu (DALE GARY) (09/05/90)

I just got my Amiga 3000, and have been absolutely delighted with it.
AmigaDOS 2.0 is a real joy!  I have a couple of questions, though.
Several people have indicated that they got a form to fill out and send
to Commodore concerning AmigaVision.  I did not get anything like that.
I asked the dealer over the phone today, and he said Commodore now
expects people to write to Commodore (no address given or anything) to
request it.  Now this sounds fishy to me.  Can anyone confirm it?

Also, when I bought the machine, I had the dealer (Creative Computers,
Lawndale, CA) put 2 Meg of 256x4 ZIP ram in for me.  I suspect that
they put in 100 ns ram (they wouldn't own up to it, but didn't deny
it, either, when I talked on the phone with them) while the documentation
from Commodore clearly says one should use 80 ns or faster.  Now my
machine works fine, but is there any side-effect or slowing that I
might have, without realizing it, from 100 ns chips?

Finally,  when is the HDBackup program due to be finished, and how
does one get it from Commodore?  Do we have to specifically ask for
that, too? :-)  By the way, for those who are interested, the dealer
said that upgrades to the Kickstart 2.0 ROM would be a warranty
upgrade, meaning that you take your machine to the dealer, who puts
in the ROM for free.

Regards,
Dale Gary

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Sep5.054753.14547@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> dg@sundog.caltech.edu writes:
>Also, when I bought the machine, I had the dealer (Creative Computers,
>Lawndale, CA) put 2 Meg of 256x4 ZIP ram in for me.  I suspect that
>they put in 100 ns ram (they wouldn't own up to it, but didn't deny
>it, either, when I talked on the phone with them) while the documentation
>from Commodore clearly says one should use 80 ns or faster.  Now my
>machine works fine, but is there any side-effect or slowing that I
>might have, without realizing it, from 100 ns chips?

The only side-effect might be intermittent errors in stored data (I
said *might be* - that doesn't mean you *will*). The chances are that
100 ns rated chips will work fine at 80 ns margins, but they are not
tested to that speed.  This is taking a chance, sort of like using
normal disks for high-density storage.

If you want to verify the speed, 100 ns chips have a -10 tacked on,
while 80 ns have a -8 tacked on the end of the model number.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.