[comp.sys.amiga] He's Got It

ewhac@well.sf.ca.us (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) (08/24/90)

[ food ]

	For them what's interested:  Mike Jittlov now has a copy of "Disney
Presents: The Animation Studio" for his Amiga.  My boss, Reichart, gave it
to him today.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it.

[ For Amigans who have never heard of Mike Jittlov, run down to your local
video store and rent, "The Wizard of Speed And Time." ]

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
	 "Because you never know who might want to sit in your lap."

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (08/24/90)

In article <20009@well.sf.ca.us> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>	For them what's interested:  Mike Jittlov now has a copy of "Disney
>Presents: The Animation Studio" for his Amiga.  My boss, Reichart, gave it
>to him today.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it.
>
>[ For Amigans who have never heard of Mike Jittlov, run down to your local
>video store and rent, "The Wizard of Speed And Time." ]

...And fast-forward past about an hour of very dreary, contrived dialogue
sprinkled with an occasional bit of mild humor to get to the ~5 minutes of
meat at the end.  Seriously, anyone can enjoy a Jittlov production, but I'm
convinced only a die-hard Jittlov fan or wannabee could enjoy this particular
production about the making of a Jittlov production.  It's worth a $2 rental,
but not much more.

(Opinions?  Naww, I only state incontrovertible Truths. :-)
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

POPOVICH@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (Peter Edward Popovich) (08/26/90)

In article <4c64b6fb.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve
Rehrauer) says:
>In article <20009@well.sf.ca.us> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab)
>writes:
>>[ For Amigans who have never heard of Mike Jittlov, run down to your local
>>video store and rent, "The Wizard of Speed And Time." ]
>
>...And fast-forward past about an hour of very dreary, contrived dialogue
>sprinkled with an occasional bit of mild humor to get to the ~5 minutes of
>meat at the end.  Seriously, anyone can enjoy a Jittlov production, but I'm
>convinced only a die-hard Jittlov fan or wannabee could enjoy this particular
>production about the making of a Jittlov production.  It's worth a $2 rental,
>but not much more.
>
>(Opinions?  Naww, I only state incontrovertible Truths. :-)

I liked 'Wizard'. I rented it after reading about it on this group. I liked
it a lot, but I'm concerned about the submilinal messages I keep hearing
about. (I didn't know about them when I rented it.)

I had thought the FCC had regulations regarding the use of subliminals and
I was wondering if they applied to the movie.

If this is a frequently discussed topic, just reply to me.

Peter E. Popovich -- POPOVICH@UCF1VM.BITNET -- popovich@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (08/27/90)

In article <90237.160617POPOVICH@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu> POPOVICH@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (Peter Edward Popovich) writes:
>I liked 'Wizard'. I rented it after reading about it on this group. I liked
>it a lot, but I'm concerned about the submilinal messages I keep hearing
>about. (I didn't know about them when I rented it.)
>
>I had thought the FCC had regulations regarding the use of subliminals and
>I was wondering if they applied to the movie.
Ok, here they are:  Hide your children!

In article <6781.26c72120@jetson.uh.edu> cosc5sh@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>I'm sure its been asked before, and it'll probably be asked again, but here
>goes...
>
>Does anyone out there have the text of the hidden messages that are scattered
>throughout _The_Wizard_of_Speed_and_Time_ (mostly in the animated sequences)?
>Most of the words are relatively easy to find and read using a VCR with a
>decent freeze-frame, but some of the rest are downright IMPOSSIBLE to make out.
>
>If someonne HAS managed to make it all out, could you please mail m a copy?
>For that matter, there's probably enough interest in this newsgroup to make it
>worth posting.  Thanks in advance...

Having had the chance to go over the closing sequence with our new VCR,
I have the following, which all come from the photo montage which occurs
after the Green Wizard leaves Vegas and before he slips on the banana peel.
Here it is:

Here come the subliminals!

May all you good dreams and wishes come true!
But wait, there's more!
Enjoy life
Dare to have fun
There is no time like the present/There is no present like time
Always read the fine print
Feelings are everywhere gentle (heal) beautiful, spiritual

Believe and know your health, wealth, wisdom, luck, talents.
Love and happiness grow better with each move
Creativity is our reason for being - creation is our heritage

Will power, super-charged
The journey of 10000 miles starts with but a single generous donation.

Here it comes
Concentrate and illuminate
Hi Mom+Dad!
Good magic forever!
Discover your (gifts|abilities)  [I can't make out the final word]
Advance
and of course
heal, perfect
Have a great day!
And Night!
Infinite good luck
Now!

[and we cut to Green Wizard approaching, then slipping on banana peel]

---
some other sublims from various places in the movie...

The tic-tac-toe sequence and the SIMPLE INEDIBLE LEEDER in the
"broken film" bit near the beginning (after Earth "hits" camera).

In the Animato excerpt:
MIKE
JITTLOV
CAN DO
EVERYTHING

with the "MIKE" being in the toe of the moon footprint and then each
frame afterwards.

In Time Tripper:
MIKE
JITTLOV
CAN DO
EVERY
THING

starting right after the nature scenes montage.

other things:
In the sparks coming from the line of people, there are hearts.

When the IRS agent tries to steal the bike:
There is a profile of a face in the sparks,
and the bag rack flashes the following:
ANDNOWFORAFEWSUBLIMINALINSPIRATIONALS4THOSEWITHFREEZEFRAME
THESURESTWAYFOREVILTOPREVAILISFORGOODPEOPLETODONOTHINGSHOCKINGYETTRYE
SOIAMDOINGSOMETHINGNOWCOMMUNICATINGANDILLUMINATINGNEVERFEEDAMONSTER
LESTYEBECOMEITSDESERTTOWHATAMIALLUDING?QUESTIONAUTHORITYQUESTION
UNNATURALLAWSANDRULESQUESTIONANYONEANDANYTHINGCOMMANDEMANDING
YOURTRIBUTEYOURMONEYYOUREARNINGSYOURFREEDOMSYOURMINDYOURSPIRITYOURLIFE!
REMEMBER:ITSYOURLIFEAFTERALL!

During the filming of the "wall run" you may have seen two flashes at
Mike's feet - they were..
1st flash: The American Revolution was fought over a five percent income
           tax!  What are you paying now and what are you paying for???
           It's your money after all!

2nd flash: Guys, is it really a subliminal if it's this hard to read??!

Some lyrics:
There's a magic place
That can glorify your face.
All it takes is cah and talent,
You can star in Hollywood.
Then you'll dance along the glitterwalk
Movie fans will point and talk.
You're the center of their view,
Their fantasy come true.

Studios and movie agents
Sign your name and sign your soul
And add you to the cast of thousands
Hoping for that starring role.
Is it worth the pain and strife?
Sacrifice your private life,
Risk your friends, and true love, dreams
For minutes on the silver screen.
That's the Hollywood scene, oh!

--

There's a wizard of speed and time
Stepping out at the Hollywood sign.

--

I'm the Wizard of Speed and Time,
The world of film is where I shine.

Come around and meet all of my friends
And dance to your wishes in a camera lens.

Watch for the wizard in a robe of green
And I can help you find your dreams, dreams, dreams, dreams, dreams.

--

next time I have  a chance, I'll try to transcribe the lyrics to
the final song.

--
Rich Carreiro                                    The "War on Drugs"
ARPA: rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                      is merely a smokescreen for

--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (08/28/90)

In article <20009@well.sf.ca.us> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>	For them what's interested:  Mike Jittlov now has a copy of "Disney
>Presents: The Animation Studio" for his Amiga.

Now what he really needs is Animation:Editor.  Does he have an '030?
I hope he has one of the newer units with the green power light :-).

>Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (08/28/90)

}
}I had thought the FCC had regulations regarding the use of subliminals and
}I was wondering if they applied to the movie.

The FCC doesn't have jurisdiction over movies.  They only control use of
the electromagnetic spectrum (radio, TV, telephones).

To put your mind at rest, there is no evidence that subliminal messages in
movies, or on TV, have any significant effect on viewers' opinions,
thoughts or behaviors.  A number of psychological studies have been done
(some commissioned by people who really wanted to prove the effect
worked).  They all came up empty handed.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, M.A., CDP, aka: hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)
Head Robot Wrangler at Citicorp(+)TTI             Illegitimis non

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:

|In article <90237.160617POPOVICH@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu> POPOVICH@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (Peter Edward Popovich) writes:
|}... I'm concerned about the submilinal messages I keep hearing
|}about. (I didn't know about them when I rented it.)

|To put your mind at rest, there is no evidence that subliminal messages in
|movies, or on TV, have any significant effect on viewers' opinions,
|thoughts or behaviors.  A number of psychological studies have been done
|(some commissioned by people who really wanted to prove the effect
|worked).  They all came up empty handed.

That's right [send me all your money]. There is NO proof that
[send me your Amiga's] subliminal messages work. The same goes for
[s'agimA ruoy dna yenom ruoy lla em dnes] Backwards Masking. See the
recent court battle [!!!WON ti od] won by Judas Priest over BM.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (09/06/90)

<
< That's right [send me all your money]. There is NO proof that
< [send me your Amiga's] subliminal messages work. The same goes for
< [s'agimA ruoy dna yenom ruoy lla em dnes] Backwards Masking. See the
< recent court battle [!!!WON ti od] won by Judas Priest over BM.

I... I... I don't know why, but...  John?  [Don't do it]  Could you
e-mail me with your mailing address?  I have this feeling [keep your
Amiga's] that I should send my Amiga to you. [Snap out of it, man!
It's a dream, only a dream!] Huh?  What?  Hey, wait a minute!

Harumph!  And they say there's nothing to these subliminal messages.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    /--\
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |   |    |         "This is as real as