[comp.sys.amiga] Networking and the Amiga family

billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) (09/01/90)

A new member of the faculty has just shown up here and he brought with him
an Amiga (specific model not determined at this time.)  Being as we are
mostly networked with ethernet and running TCPIP, does anyone know where
I might find an Ethernet board and TCPIP software for the AMIGA??

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

bill gunshannon
bill@platypus.uofs.edu

huebner@aerospace.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (09/01/90)

In article <7884@helios.TAMU.EDU> billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) writes:
>A new member of the faculty has just shown up here and he brought with him
>an Amiga (specific model not determined at this time.)  Being as we are
>mostly networked with ethernet and running TCPIP, does anyone know where
>I might find an Ethernet board and TCPIP software for the AMIGA??
>
>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>
>bill gunshannon
>bill@platypus.uofs.edu

Commodore offers the products you need.  Their prices for Universities
as of May 8, 1990 is:

Hardware: A2065 Ethernet ANSI 802.3 Thick or thin  $229   (reg $349)
Software: AS225 NFS-TCP/IP (and UDP/IP) network    $129   (reg $199)

The card requires a A2000 or better (or a heavily modified A500).  A3000
compatability should be good, since these cards were released at about
the same time.  Haven't heard specifics either for or against A3000 TCP/IP.

I think GVP offers a system as well, but I don't have specifics in front
of me.

Note that only a University can buy peripherals only.  Students/teachers
have to buy a CPU as well to get these prices (at least according to the
local retailer).

huebner@aerospace.aero.org

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (09/06/90)

In article <7884@helios.TAMU.EDU> billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) writes:
>A new member of the faculty has just shown up here and he brought with him
>an Amiga (specific model not determined at this time.)  Being as we are
>mostly networked with ethernet and running TCPIP, does anyone know where
>I might find an Ethernet board and TCPIP software for the AMIGA??
>
>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

There are at this time only one manufacturer of tcp/ip compatible ethernet
boards for the Amiga. There one source of tcp/ip software that is presently
ready for sale. And one source of software about to become available.

Commodore themselves manufacturer the ethernet board. Contact them for
special educational pricing.

GfxBase makes available the original Ameristar 3.0 software under a special
license from Ameristar. Kit includes documentation, software, and a special
pal to turn the Commodore A2065 board into an Ameristar Look alike board.
The PAL replaces a socketed pal on the A2065.

Commodore is also bringing out their own tcp/ip package which will most
likely also be available with some educational discount. If you are cost
concience then waiting for the Commodore tcp/ip software is the right thing
to do.

Otherwise the A2065 and the Ameristar software as well as other software
such as X Windows and DECnet for the Amiga are available from GfxBase.
For more info give a call or send email back. 408-262-1469

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale