[comp.sys.amiga] Borland and NeXT?

In article <6880@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> don@vax1.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

>You'd think when a machine is this close to 2 million in sales, a few
>companies might take notice...  (On a similar note, I read in a recent
>InfoWorld or PCWeek that Borland is writing a spreadsheet for the NeXT... I
>have to wonder about a company which writes software for amachine with an
>installed base of ~5000 while completely ignoring 2 million Amiga users...)

I guess they figured, heck, if those foolish NeXT users are willing to pay
$1500 for an add-on floppy disk drive, just think what they'll be willing
to fork over for a decent spreadsheet.  If we charged $2000 a copy and sold
to every 7500 NeXT owners, we'd make $15 million dollars.  To make the same
as a $200 Amiga program, we'd have to sell to 75,000 Amiga owners.  That's
only around 4% of Amiga owners, but then again, they probably aren't quite
so foolish...

>  Gibberish             .sig for sale or lease.
>  is spoken             Contact don@vax1.acs.udel.edu for more information.
>    here.               DISCLAIMER:  It's all YOUR fault.

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (09/07/90)

In article <14244@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>I guess they figured, heck, if those foolish NeXT users are willing to pay
>$1500 for an add-on floppy disk drive, just think what they'll be willing
>to fork over for a decent spreadsheet.  If we charged $2000 a copy and sold
>to every 7500 NeXT owners, we'd make $15 million dollars.  To make the same
>as a $200 Amiga program, we'd have to sell to 75,000 Amiga owners.  That's
>only around 4% of Amiga owners, but then again, they probably aren't quite
>so foolish...

I am wondering about Borland's original ad. in 1985 Amiga World (you
know, dual page, Turbo Pascal Amiga coming soon).  In Oz, if they made a
statement like that, the consumer protection laws would have been
violated when they never brought anything out.

Basically, Borland has indulged in false advertising.  Anyone care to
comment if US consumer protection laws could be brought against them?
I'd just love to know the *true* story about why it was never produced.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433