[comp.sys.amiga] logicwork

caldwell_t@darwin.ntu.edu.au (08/24/90)

Does anyone know where I can get LOGICWORKS for the amiga?  I have been told
that there is a public domain demo version of this around.

Thanks,
	Malcolm Caldwell.

pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com (Robert Pomeroy) (08/24/90)

	First let me say that Logicworks for the Amiga
isn't too good. I used Logicworks written for the MAC
under AMAX and was able to get the job done. But, like
soo many MAC applications, it ran slowly and there were
a few features missing. My roomate and I have begun
writing a logic simulator for the Amiga. Presently it
is being done under 2.0, and I don't know if we will
bother with a 1.3 compatible version. First, is there
a need for this type of program out there? We are taking
our time now, but if it is in demand we will speed up.
Secondly I would say that if you need a simulator now,
get AMAX and Logicworks for the MAC.

Send any comments or suggestions you may have to:

	Robert Pomeroy
	Pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com
snail:	34 Old Essex Rd.
	Manchester, MA 01944

andrey@beyond.ccsf.caltech.edu (Andre T. Yew) (08/28/90)

Robert> Secondly I would say that if you need a simulator now,
Robert> get AMAX and Logicworks for the MAC.

	I wouldn't do this.  As I've posted before in the far, far past,
Logicworks is utterly unacceptable as a professional program -- that is,
one that you pay money for.  It becomes very unreliable and unstable when
used for marginally large projects, like designing a hand calculator.  You
find yourself fixing mistakes caused by Logicworks more than 50% of the time.
If you wanted to, you could write your own simulator in a few weeks, and have
something infinitely more reliable and stable than Logicworks.  Logicworks
is an outright rip-off and should be avoided like the plague.
	Note that these are only my personal opinions that were formed from
my own and friends' experiences with this terrible program.  I was using LW
2.0.1.

--
						Andre Yew
						andrey@through.cs.caltech.edu

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (08/30/90)

In article <14888@shlump.nac.dec.com> pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com (Robert
Pomeroy) writes:

> First, is there a need for this type of program out there? We are taking
> our time now, but if it is in demand we will speed up. Secondly I would say
> that if you need a simulator now, get AMAX and Logicworks for the MAC.

I used LogicWorks in college to simulate simple circuits for my digital
design course. That permitted me to enter the lab and get the circuit
running the first time. Nocked the TA's socks off.

If you can include in your package the standard TTL library of chips (74xx)
with the all the pins as defined in the data books, then I would say that your
application would be very useful - to students though. I don't know how many
could afford it.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

2flnoffend@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/08/90)

Why get AMAX to run logicworks when you can get logicworks for the amiga?
I you can't find it, I'll see you get a copy of it.