[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Empire Client

eachus@linus.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) (08/30/90)

     Does anyone have any good Amiga client software for empire,
especially with an AREXX port?  I'd love to have either a serial port
version (for home) or an Ethernet version.  If no one has anything,
I'll start on something, but I was hoping to be able to write a CanDo
or AmigaVision GUI and not have to hack C to get a useable AREXX
interface.

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) (09/01/90)

eachus@linus.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:

>      Does anyone have any good Amiga client software for empire,
> especially with an AREXX port?  I'd love to have either a serial port
> version (for home) or an Ethernet version.  If no one has anything,
> I'll start on something, but I was hoping to be able to write a CanDo
> or AmigaVision GUI and not have to hack C to get a useable AREXX
> interface.
>

> --
>
> 					Robert I. Eachus
>
> with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
> use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
> function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...

Does anyone know if it is possible to run multiple versions of the local
empire client so that say, you run multiple Empires as simultanous doors
for a multiline BBS? Also can anyone name the major features of C-Net?
How does it compare to Tag 2.5? Does it handle doors etc. Has anyone put
Fido and/or UUCP (Matt Dillon's rendition) successfully?

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (09/02/90)

In article <Twwso4w162w@valnet> Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to run multiple versions of the local
>empire client so that say, you run multiple Empires as simultanous doors
>for a multiline BBS? Also can anyone name the major features of C-Net?
	Yes, you can run as many local Amiga Empire clients as you wish,
assuming you have the memory for it. However, the local client is NOT the
way to go for hooking up to a BBS. I have clients specifically for C-Net
and Paragon BBS's, and as soon as someone sends me examples of programming
TAG doors, I will write clients for that BBS as well.

	But the original question was not about Amiga Empire. He was asking
if anyone had an Amiga client for the Unix version of Empire (or at least
that's the impression I got, since Amiga Empire 2.2w COMES with a graphic
front-end that supports ARexx...)

				Dave

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) (09/02/90)

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:

> In article <Twwso4w162w@valnet> Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) wri
> >Does anyone know if it is possible to run multiple versions of the local
> >empire client so that say, you run multiple Empires as simultanous doors
> >for a multiline BBS? Also can anyone name the major features of C-Net?
> 	Yes, you can run as many local Amiga Empire clients as you wish,
> assuming you have the memory for it. However, the local client is NOT the
> way to go for hooking up to a BBS. I have clients specifically for C-Net
> and Paragon BBS's, and as soon as someone sends me examples of programming
> TAG doors, I will write clients for that BBS as well.
>
> 	But the original question was not about Amiga Empire. He was asking
> if anyone had an Amiga client for the Unix version of Empire (or at least
> that's the impression I got, since Amiga Empire 2.2w COMES with a graphic
> front-end that supports ARexx...)
>

> 				Dave

Can you please direct me to a place that has 2.2w or a later version?
Also, are your versions supported by Chris Gray?

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (09/02/90)

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) writes:

> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>
> > way to go for hooking up to a BBS. I have clients specifically for C-Net
> > and Paragon BBS's, and as soon as someone sends me examples of programming
>	^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I sent my V2.1 of Amiga Empire to the developers of Paragon on request. My
understanding is that they built support for being an Amiga Empire client
directly into the BBS. I'm not sure if they distributed it however. Mike?

> > TAG doors, I will write clients for that BBS as well.

> Can you please direct me to a place that has 2.2w or a later version?
> Also, are your versions supported by Chris Gray?

Nope. Dave has never sent me his sources, either for 2.1w or 2.2w . In fact,
Dave's posting about 2.2w today is the first I've heard of it. I know of
a graphics front-end/terminal-program for Empire, called EmpFE, written
by Hakan Thorngren in Sweden. Perhaps that is what Dave is referring to.
Hakan also has a version for UNIX Empire.

Chris Gray  usenet: {myrias.com,uunet.uu.net!myrias,alberta!myrias}!ami-cg!cg
	    CIS: 74007,1165

In article <ac3To1w162w@valnet> Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) writes:
>Can you please direct me to a place that has 2.2w or a later version?
	I was all set to release 2.2w about a week ago, but I found a few more
bugs in the graphic front end (which only affected 128x128 and 256x256 worlds)
so I decided to wait. 2.2w will be sent to Fred Fish, DevWare, and several
other software distributers. But if you must have it as soon as it is out, you
may send me 2 disks (It comes on 2 disks now) and I will send them back to
you. If you (or anyone) wants to here about new features or read articles by
other Amiga Empire players, SEND IN THE REGISTRATION! You will get the
newsletter "Conquest", published whenever I have enough new information to
make up 4 - 5 pages.

	My address in in the docs for any version of Empire I worked on, but
if you don't have 2.1w, here it is:

		David Wright
		4262 Bennington
		Brunswick, OH 44212 USA

>Also, are your versions supported by Chris Gray?
	While I sent him the source to a very early version of 2.2w, I have
not sent him the current source. I believe he intends to try to come out
with one unified version, which can be set to operate in either his mode
or mine. In any case, almost all of the clients will work on either version
of Empire (including the graphic front-end), with the exception of the
2.2w SEREmp client not running under his version of Empire (But his SEREmp
will work on mine).

			Dave

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/04/90)

Umm...can you direct me to an ftp site that has the latest version of
Empire?

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (09/08/90)

        I know this is probably totally off what you are talking about but, we
on our BBSs have a public domain version of Empire (Space Empire) for the
Amiga C-Net totally in ARexx.