[comp.sys.amiga] sa4d doesn't work under 2.0

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (08/27/90)

  Sculpt Animate 4D doesn't work with 2.0. For example, try to enter some
coordinates manually - it just doesn't work. No guru, but very, very
strange behaviour, the numbers you enter just don't appear and don't have
any effect, either.

  These are grave news, indeed. Byte by Byte quit working on the Amiga, at
least until they finished their Mac version of SA. So an update is very
unlikely to come.

  What about these raytracers one hears about? Journeyman and so on? Are
they available? How good are they compared to SA?

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

stan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) (08/29/90)

>  Sculpt Animate 4D doesn't work with 2.0. For example, try to enter some
>coordinates manually - it just doesn't work. No guru, but very, very
>strange behaviour, the numbers you enter just don't appear and don't have
>any effect, either.

Does it work on the 3000 under 1.3?  Anyone know?

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com  -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -   Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running SkyLine 1.31 @ (602) 893-0804

lclausen@lckaos.UUCP (Lars R. Clausen) (08/29/90)

>In article <04072.AA04072@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
>
>  Sculpt Animate 4D doesn't work with 2.0. For example, try to enter some
>coordinates manually - it just doesn't work. No guru, but very, very
>strange behaviour, the numbers you enter just don't appear and don't have
>any effect, either.

What? Can you get it to start up at all??? When I try (A2000,A2620,WB20b6), the
screen is opened, then the system dies greufully (stars and stribes all over the
screen!) What version are you using?

>  What about these raytracers one hears about? Journeyman and so on? Are
>they available? How good are they compared to SA?

What I hear of them is "faster, more options but no so good user interface".
I'll have to look firsthand to say anything, though. Both TurboSilver and
Caligari are said to have options never seen in SA, like (drool) texture-mapping
and wrap-on of iff-files.

>Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

--
+-----------------------------------------------------+---------------+
| Lars R. Clausen                (Fido: 2:230/22.34)  | Gnoshallasim- |

iwscoop@bigsur.uucp (Serge Ah-Hee) (08/30/90)

>From: wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>Subject: sa4d doesn't work under 2.0
>Date: 27 Aug 90 09:20:57 GMT

>  These are grave news, indeed. Byte by Byte quit working on the Amiga, at
>least until they finished their Mac version of SA. So an update is very
>unlikely to come.

>  What about these raytracers one hears about? Journeyman and so on? Are
>they available? How good are they compared to SA?

Losing SA 4d is not that of a great loss ( in my opinion that is). The object editor was
really good, by the images rendered weren't that hot! I also use Turbo Silver. It has
produces really good images, but its editor is pityful. I use SA 4d to edit, interchange
to port the objects to TSilverto render the objects.
I'm waiting for the Imagine upgrade... from what I heard, it has a good editor. For the
 other raytracers, I'll haveto see them before I can comment them.

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (08/31/90)

From article <13519@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, by teroach!stan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher):

[ Information on SA4D not working under 2.0 removed ]

> Does it work on the 3000 under 1.3?  Anyone know?

  Yes, SA4D does work under 1.3 on the A3000.  I have a 6Meg A3000 (2 CHIP,
  4 FAST) and have been running SA4D under 1.3 for about 3 months now with
  no problems.  Under 2.0 the main problem I saw was that I could only work
  with VERY small models and render low resolution modes to the screen.  I
  render most of my stuff to 24 bit files and then convert them to Dynamic
  Hi-Res and this has been working great (using 1.3).

_______________     /        /                    /  | uunet!sdrc!evtracy
   /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/ | evtracy@SDRC.UU.NET
  / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \  +---------------------
     Structural Dynamics Research Corporation (SDRC) - Milford, Ohio

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (09/05/90)

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>  Sculpt Animate 4D doesn't work with 2.0. For example, try to enter some
>coordinates manually - it just doesn't work. No guru, but very, very
>strange behaviour, the numbers you enter just don't appear and don't have
>any effect, either.
>
>  These are grave news, indeed. Byte by Byte quit working on the Amiga, at
>least until they finished their Mac version of SA. So an update is very
>unlikely to come.

>  What about these raytracers one hears about? Journeyman and so on? Are
>they available? How good are they compared to SA?

	Journeyman is available right now, directly from Hash Enterprises.
	I don't know a lot about it other than seeing a screenshot of
	the editor. Pretty, but perhaps too many gadgets displayed for the
	small screen of the Amiga. From the screen shot their was only
	enough space left over for 2 views at a time 'cause the top of the
	screen is taken up by a bank of 3d gadgets. Objects are apparently
	made with special splines with real-time dragging of points.

	Imagine (formerly TurboSilver) is from Impulse Inc, and is still
	in the works and should be released soon, though I wouldn't want
	to speculate when. From what I have heard and the screen shots
	I have seen, there won't be any comparision to SA. The editor
	is a full quadview (tri-view with a perspective view) and each
	view can be expanded full screen. Very clean. This is the best
	way and makes full use of the small screens we have. Objects
	can be built from cross sections of the different isometric
	views of an object. Among other things, you can rotate, scale,
	and move objects in real-time, manipulate all points, edges and
	faces and build with boolean math functions; morphic changes,
	animation of all object attributes, iff wrapping, iff bitplane
	extrusion, hiddenline removal, and a unique animation editor
        that allows you to create cycles and work with true key cell
	functions. Rendering is 12bit and 24bit in solid model (2 kinds)
	and full raytrace. TurboSilver was always the best renderer but
	some considered it weak as a modeller although in my opinion
	it was closer to the modeller used on the big systems (Wavefront,
	SoftImage etc) with it's full use of the objects axis. We have
	become too use to looking for functions called *mirroring* and
	*duplication of points* without understanding what they mean
	mathamatically. My only problem with TS was selecting points and
	this has been looked after in Imagine. Hope this helps you.

Stephen
--
Stephen Menzies
email: menzies@CAM.ORG

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/05/90)

Actually, Turbo Silver is still out, but Imagine is far better. Has
andone seen Impulse's new 24 bit board called "FireCracker 24"?

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!
irable features!

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (09/07/90)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>Actually, Turbo Silver is still out, but Imagine is far better. Has
>andone seen Impulse's new 24 bit board called "FireCracker 24"?

	Not in the flesh, but there's a picture of it and a little
	info on it in the September issue of Amazing Computing p.31

--
Stephen Menzies
email: menzies@CAM.ORG

jeffo@uiuc.edu (Jeffrey B Nicholson) (09/09/90)

iwscoop@bigsur.uucp (Serge Ah-Hee) writes:

>>From: wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand)
>>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>>Subject: sa4d doesn't work under 2.0
>>Date: 27 Aug 90 09:20:57 GMT

>Losing SA 4d is not that of a great loss ( in my opinion that is). The object editor
>was really good...

I tend to disagree here, in that I think with my suggested improvements to the Caligari
editor, that it would be the easiest to use and the nicest object editor yet available.

I have yet to see Journeyman or any of the "newest" rendering packages, but I *really*
like that 3D editor of Caligari's, and the fact that you can easily switch views and
see things (the whole time) pretty much like they will end up in the finished product.

With SA4D and Turbo you have to think more (tri-view) as to how the object will look.

Jeff
jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu