[comp.sys.amiga] Dos 2.0 Questions

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (08/31/90)

I am still converting from 1.3 life to 2.0 life on my 3000. I have some prgs
I am still looking for:
A replacement for DiskMaster 1.3 (is 1.4 out yet??)
A shell that has "*"
A Qmouse or Dmouse replacement, where all the options work.
JR-Comm that works under 2.0

Another prob I have is that a NEWSHELL CON:etc/etc/etc/etc makes NO close gadgeton the new shell. NEWSHELL without the window defs works fine. What gives?

And lastly if anyone has killKS PLEASE ftp it to somewhere!! Thanks.

Duane Fields

pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com (Robert Pomeroy) (08/31/90)

In article <7872@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes...
>A replacement for DiskMaster 1.3 (is 1.4 out yet??)
Beta is out, works fine. (Saw it at a dealers) Should be out soon.
>A shell that has "*"
I've seen a program called starburst or something that makes '*' act
as a wildcard if that's what you are looking for.
>Another prob I have is that a NEWSHELL CON:etc/etc/etc/etc makes
>NO close gadgeton the new shell. NEWSHELL without the window defs
>works fine. What gives?
Use Newshell con:x/y/wx/wy/name/CLOSE to make a close gadget. Love those
undocumented features.

>And lastly if anyone has killKS PLEASE ftp it to somewhere!! Thanks.
Sorry Duane, you already know I've got it. I wish I could get it to you.

>Duane Fields

Robert Pomeroy
pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com

joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) (08/31/90)

In article <7872@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>Another prob I have is that a NEWSHELL CON:etc/etc/etc/etc makes NO close gadget
>on the new shell. NEWSHELL without the window defs works fine. What gives?

NEWSHELL without specs defaults to a close gadget; however when providing
paramters, you must explicitly ask for the close gadget as follows:

  Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
  Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
  Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG

eric@cbmvax.commodore.com (Eric Cotton) (08/31/90)

In article <7872@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>Another prob I have is that a NEWSHELL CON:etc/etc/etc/etc makes NO close
>gadgeton the new shell. NEWSHELL without the window defs works fine.
>What gives?

Try (for example):

	NewShell con:0/0/640/200/AmigaShell/CLOSE
                                            ^^^^^

--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (08/31/90)

I'm curious.  Why the need for Diskmaster under 2.0?  I use SID 1.06 under
1.3 but under 2.0, the only thing it has that I miss is the graphic interface
for arc/unarcing programs.  If you return to the world of Workbench, I think
you can do anything DiskMaster did.

What I would like to see it the program for putting programs in the Tools pull
down menu.  I use MyMenu under 1.3 and love it!  Now under 2.0 I have to open
all those drawers to get at a program.

As for a JRComm that will work under 2.0, well I'm a registered user and I
still don't have that either.  I hope when 2.0 is officially released next
month (?) that Jack will release the new JRComm.  I think I understand he
just got a 3000, so he should be working on it as soon as he tries out all of
2.0's new features.

Rick Tillery

usenet@helios.TAMU.EDU (Usenet Account) (09/01/90)

From: n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields)

Concerning Disk-Master:
I guess old habits are hard to break hey!! I just like it better, dunno why.
Maybe I can 'reform' my ways in the future!

dg@sundog.caltech.edu (DALE GARY) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug31.145718.5808@uokmax.uucp>, drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes...

>What I would like to see it the program for putting programs in the Tools pull
>down menu.  I use MyMenu under 1.3 and love it!  Now under 2.0 I have to open
>all those drawers to get at a program.

I just got my 3000, and in playing with it I discovered something under
AmigaDos 2.0 that makes it unnecessary to open a bunch of drawers to get
at your favorite program.  You just click on the icon of your program, and
select "Leave Out" from the ICONS menu.  You can turn off your machine, and
when you turn it on again, it is still right there on the workbench.  You
just click on it, and away it goes.  I do this for VLT, for example.  Thus,
you can replace your menu item under MyMenu with an icon.

>Rick Tillery

Dale Gary

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (09/04/90)

From article <7872@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields):
> I am still converting from 1.3 life to 2.0 life on my 3000. I have some prgs
> I am still looking for:
> A replacement for DiskMaster 1.3 (is 1.4 out yet??)

  I just saw the newest version of DiskMaster at my local dealer and it worked
  on their A3000...

> A shell that has "*"

  Somewhere in my stack of A3000 hack disks I have a program that will set
  up 2.0 to recognise "*" wild cards (it's in there would probably be a
  Commodore reply!)

  [ Don't have any answers for the last few... Sorry ]

_______________     /        /                    /  | uunet!sdrc!evtracy
   /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/ | evtracy@SDRC.UU.NET
  / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \  +---------------------
     Structural Dynamics Research Corporation (SDRC) - Milford, Ohio

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (09/04/90)

>In article <7872@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>I am still converting from 1.3 life to 2.0 life on my 3000. I have some prgs
>I am still looking for:
>A shell that has "*"

SKsh, a Korn Shell clone, works on 2.0 (so I have been told). It supports
all "normal" shell pattern matching, including *

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (09/09/90)

>In article <1990Sep2.213554.1627@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> dg@sundog.caltech.edu (DALE GARY) writes:
>In article <1990Aug31.145718.5808@uokmax.uucp>, drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes...
>>
>>What I would like to see it the program for putting programs in the Tools pull
>>down menu.  I use MyMenu under 1.3 and love it!

   You tried MyMenu under 2.0? It *still* works great!

   'Leave Out' is also real handy, but then Menus can carry more items.

                                                   -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |