[comp.sys.amiga] Seagate Drives

news@crash.cts.com (Usenet News) (07/14/89)

Network Comment: to #554 by CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET

Oh no!!!  My Seagate ST296N just locked up (spindle lock) and I loosened
the spindle myself, and now it doesn't boot half the time and gives r/w errors
when it does, and refuses to low-level format...  Before I send it back to
Seagate (it's under waranty), is there anything I can do to fix it?  (I never
read anyone's fix for this, i just loostened the spindle myself)

Thanks
-Dan

 ProLine: pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID              | Pro-Graphics  24hrs
    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID | 201/469-0049 3/12/24
ARPA/DDN: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID@nosc.mil

In <3879@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, cs472119@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs472119) writes:
>Hi.  Anyone know of any reason why seagate drives aren't supposed to be
>mounted upside down, as the seagate manual says, u^?  I'd like to install mine
>in my trumpcard 500 case, which requires mounting with the circuit board up.
>Is this warning only to guard against the weight of the drive being supported
>by the top cover?
>Thanks,

No.. many drives will not work in an upside down position, some giving
read/write problems, others catastrophically destroying their own bearings.
Whoever designed a case that requires an upside down drive mounting should be
shot and pissed on.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

cs472119@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs472119) (09/08/90)

Hi.  Anyone know of any reason why seagate drives aren't supposed to be
mounted upside down, as the seagate manual says, u^?  I'd like to install mine
in my trumpcard 500 case, which requires mounting with the circuit board up.
Is this warning only to guard against the weight of the drive being supported
by the top cover?
Thanks,

   Larry Augsburger

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/08/90)

     Well, I've been using an ST157N-1 in my Trumpcard 500 for the past year
w/ no problems.
                                  Jason

In <33688@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Not all drives require that silly stipulation of being mounted 'right side
>up'. For instance Maxtors can be mounted any which way you want, and this is
>so stated in the documentation.

While that is true about not all drives needing to be mounted right side up, it
pays to not run a drive inverted if there is any doubt at all. Documented
permission from the drive manufacturer is great, if you get the docs.

-larry

--

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (09/09/90)

Not all drives require that silly stipulation of being mounted 'right side
up'. For instance Maxtors can be mounted any which way you want, and this is
so stated in the documentation.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com