[comp.sys.amiga] CDTV questions

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (09/03/90)

Anyone know if the "Baby" will have some kind of persistent, read-write
storage?  Also, will it have the typical parallel and serial connections?

The storage would allow CDTV to be "customized" for individual users and the
connections would allow a modem hookup for a "Prodigy-like" service (I'm not
advocating Prodigy per se, just the idea).
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

R38@psuvm.psu.edu (Marc Rifkin) (09/05/90)

CDTV has all of the parallel, serial, monitor, rgb ports of any Amiga,
including a floppy disk drive port. In addition, there is a small
non-volatile RAM space for prefs and a port for a non-volatile RAM storage
cartrdige.

Marc Rifkin, R38@PSUVM

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (09/05/90)

As per the articles which have been in the magazines (Amazing Amiga
and Amiga World..):

All the normal A500 connectors (only the ones on the back?  I think it
unlikely the "cartridge" slot would be there) are on the system.  That means
you have floppies available, and the serial & parallel ports are there.

A keyboard is available which interfaces via infrared.  Hopefully it's
not a chiclet keyboard..  (Actually, I kinda liked the chicklet keyboard
that was on my TRS-80 CoCo..)

If there's no cartridge slot (er.. you know, the side connector) then
upgrade to hard disk is a bit limited.

With parallel and serial ports though it could concievably be networked
to other Amiga's and access *their* hard disks.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:

>Anyone know if the "Baby" will have some kind of persistent, read-write
>storage?  Also, will it have the typical parallel and serial connections?

From what I read, the CDTV also has a floppy drive in addition to the CD-ROM
and comes with serial and parallel ports.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (09/09/90)

In article <2916@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>
> >Anyone know if the "Baby" will have some kind of persistent, read-write
> >storage?  Also, will it have the typical parallel and serial connections?
>
> From what I read, the CDTV also has a floppy drive in addition to the CD-ROM
> and comes with serial and parallel ports.

I have just read an article in the British ACE magazine on the "Baby". It
even has a picture of one on the front cover.

The CDTV has no floppy drive with it. It looks like a fat CD player. It
comes with 1meg of RAM, the standard amiga chips and ports on the back
for external floppy drives and a parallel and serial port. It has a DMA
internal slot (for h/drive I imagine) and an infra-red port at the front
for a remote control or optional IR keyboard. (you can also get an
ordinary keyboard).

The article says Commodore hope to have some software available for it when
it is released.  The system is said to have TT (talking head) technology to
allow it to read graphics and sound data at the same time, hence making it
more than just an ordinary CD-ROM.  A full motion video device is planned
by Commodore in the future....

The "Baby" is said to have an open design so external parties can produce
cards for it.  Commodore are also said to be producing modules to add on
to the a500 (no mention of the a2000/a3000 but surely it will suit all
of them...) to make it CDTV compatible.

If Commodore can market this thing properly then I think it could sell
masses, but they probably won't.  The software you could write for it
would be awesome.  (540 megs, and with compression even more!!)

Colin Adams         Life's funny but I don't laugh