Message #1892 "Public"
Date: 05-Sep-90 21:00

From: Sean Riddle
A customer came into Amazing today looking for a program that will allow him
to enter mathematical formulas with complex symbols to export to a desktop
publisher.  Rather than just a symbol font for one of the DTPs, he would like
an Intuitioned program that will automatically enlarge symbols such as
integrals, parentheses, radicals to cover exactly the correct part of the
equation.  He has used TeX and PROFF, but would rather not have to use a
script language, and he needs it to be WYSIWYG.  I thought I had heard of
such a program available on the Amiga, but I couldn't find it in the Amazing
Product Guide, and our Commodore Rep didn't know of one.  He is interested in
buying an Amiga, but he is writing his dissertation, and if this kind of
program is not available, he'll probably buy a Mac.  If you have any info,
please let me know....  Sean

Anyone know of any programs?  It looks like it might mean an Amiga sale to
a future PHD.  Gee, we need all the brain power we can get.  Email me any
info at the above address and I'll get the info to him ASAP.  Thanx.

 _______              __________
  _/____) '  __  /_/       /  '  /  / __  _      "N.I.N.J.A.J.I.S."-Me
  /  \___/__/___/ |_      /__/__/__/_/_-_/__/_/  The Displaced Razorback.
  ___________________________________________/   Go Hogs Go -- S.?.C.
The Amiga Computer - "...a more fiendish disputant than the Great
Hyperbolic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve..."
-D.Adams;  Well, almost.

stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.220202.24679@uokmax.uucp>, drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:

> A customer came into Amazing today looking for a program that will allow him
> to enter mathematical formulas with complex symbols to export to a desktop
> publisher...
> He has used TeX and PROFF, but would rather not have to use a
> script language, and he needs it to be WYSIWYG...
>   He is interested in
> buying an Amiga, but he is writing his dissertation, and if this kind of
> program is not available, he'll probably buy a Mac.  If you have any info,
> please let me know....  Sean

> Anyone know of any programs?  It looks like it might mean an Amiga sale to
> a future PHD.

*Real* Ph.D.'s write their dissertations with TeX.  And what a miserable
experience it was on a VAX.  Life would have been so much better
with AmigaTeX.  I do all my TeX work at home on my Amiga now rather
than use the system at the office with a twenty minute delay to get
output.

				Eric Stern
				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu

v117gv8r@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Thom Burnett) (09/07/90)

In article <35721@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) writes...
>*Real* Ph.D.'s write their dissertations with TeX.  And what a miserable
>experience it was on a VAX.  Life would have been so much better
>with AmigaTeX.  I do all my TeX work at home on my Amiga now rather
>than use the system at the office with a twenty minute delay to get
>output.
>
>				Eric Stern
>				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu
	I am one of those Ph.D.s using TeX on the VAX and still learning it.
I had not heard of AmigaTeX. Does it feature WYSIWYG? How much does it cost
(approx)?
				Thom

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (09/07/90)

In article <35721@unix.cis.pitt.edu> stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) writes:
>In article <1990Sep6.220202.24679@uokmax.uucp>, drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>
>> A customer came into Amazing today looking for a program that will allow him
>> to enter mathematical formulas with complex symbols to export to a desktop
>> publisher...
>> He has used TeX and PROFF, but would rather not have to use a

>*Real* Ph.D.'s write their dissertations with TeX.  And what a miserable
>				Eric Stern
>				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu

For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to play with a Mathematics
program such as MacSyma, Mathematica, or Maple rest assured that computer
mathematics is moving forward. RAPIDLY!!  MacSyma is old and it shows on the
versions that I have seen.  Mathematica is a huge step forward, well hyped,
and well supported.  The drawbacks are that it is a memory hog and not
available on the Amiga.  Maple seems to be the answer on the Amiga.  I sent
in for one of their demo disks (Mac disk) and I was quite impressed.

Oh yes, back to the original subject.  These math programs all recognize the
importance of TeX and will spit out the formulas and graphics in TeX or LaTeX
format.  I take a class a semester at my job site and email homework to
professors at the university.
Jerry J. Trantow          | When you call a thing mysterious,
1560 A. East Irving Place | all it means is that you don't understand it.
Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  |                           Lord Kelvin
(414) 289-0503            |

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/08/90)

In article <35123@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v117gv8r@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Thom
Burnett) says:

>        I am one of those Ph.D.s using TeX on the VAX and still learning it.
>I had not heard of AmigaTeX. Does it feature WYSIWYG? How much does it cost
>(approx)?

AmigaTeX is sort of wysiwyg.  It has a very good on screen previewer of the
TeX output.  Using multitasking, you can set up an editor to send output
to TeX which sends its output, the DVI information, directly to the previewer.
So, when you are trying to develop something particularly tricky, you type it
into the editor window, and the use the editor to send just that small part
to TeX and on to the previewer.  If it works, fine.  if not, you can just
edit it and send it again and again and again and again (this is TeX, after
all 8-).

Amiga TeX costs about $200 something plus more for a printer driver.
Also, the TeX n NeXT comes from the same guy.  I assume NeXT TeX is
very similar to AmigaTeX, though I've not actually seen it.

                                                           lee

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (09/09/90)

In article <35721@unix.cis.pitt.edu> stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) writes:
>In article <1990Sep6.220202.24679@uokmax.uucp>, drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>
>> A customer came into Amazing today looking for a program that will allow him
>> to enter mathematical formulas with complex symbols to export to a desktop
>> publisher...
>> He has used TeX and PROFF, but would rather not have to use a
>> script language, and he needs it to be WYSIWYG...
>>   He is interested in
>> buying an Amiga, but he is writing his dissertation, and if this kind of
>> program is not available, he'll probably buy a Mac.  If you have any info,
>> please let me know....  Sean
>
>> Anyone know of any programs?  It looks like it might mean an Amiga sale to
>> a future PHD.
>
>*Real* Ph.D.'s write their dissertations with TeX.  And what a miserable
>experience it was on a VAX.  Life would have been so much better
>with AmigaTeX.  I do all my TeX work at home on my Amiga now rather
>than use the system at the office with a twenty minute delay to get
>output.
>
>				Eric Stern
>				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu

If you want "typesetting" of mathematical text, then I would suggest AmigaTeX.

However, it should be noted that the Amiga
  (1) provides a user-definable screen font, worth about 100 non-
      standard symbols
  (2) provides a user-definable keymap
  (3) provides algorithmic styling of screen fonts, for bold, italic
      and underline, which can be used to quadruple the number of
      "letters".
So mathematical text can be handled quite easily.  The "Etale" package
on Fish Disk 254 provides a symbol set that is made to match a good bit
of what is found on the "math fonts" cartridge for the HP Laser Jet.
The File Reader there gives an almost perfect preview of the printed page,
and it can be easily opened from a programmable editor on the current
page of text.  Examples of suitable programmable editors include "dme"
by Matt Dillon, which may be found on Fish Disk 284 (I think a later
version was included with "dice" on Fish Disk 359), and "TxEdPlus", an
inexpensive commercial editor by Microsmiths, Inc.

William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
hammond@leah.albany.edu              wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

murphy@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (09/09/90)

In article <90251.000953UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>Amiga TeX costs about $200 something plus more for a printer driver.
>Also, the TeX n NeXT comes from the same guy.  I assume NeXT TeX is
>very similar to AmigaTeX, though I've not actually seen it.
>
>                                                           lee

NeXT's TeX is a joy to work with.  I thought that AmigaTeX was great until
I discovered the joys of PostScript.  Using NeXT TeX you can import any
Encapsulated PostScript file and TeX will figure out the placement and
spacing for the figure(s).  Yes Amiga TeX can do that also, but AmigaTeX
doesn't have Display PostScript.  (i.e. there will be another step to
preview the figures with something such as Post.)  To be fair, I will give
them both credit as excellant programs, Tom ported them they ought to be.
Bill Murphy                                  | Turtle Schmurtle, I'm the
murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu              | Rabbit.
Amiga, it's not a religion, it's a lifestyle | B. Bunny

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (09/09/90)

In <4082@newton.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:
>NeXT's TeX is a joy to work with.  I thought that AmigaTeX was great until
>I discovered the joys of PostScript.  Using NeXT TeX you can import any
>Encapsulated PostScript file and TeX will figure out the placement and
>spacing for the figure(s).  Yes Amiga TeX can do that also, but AmigaTeX
>doesn't have Display PostScript.  (i.e. there will be another step to
>preview the figures with something such as Post.)

It appears as though Tom has some serious intentions of integrating
post.library with AmigaTeX.  So you will soon (probably quite a ways
down the road, actually) be able to preview TeX with embedded EPSF
files all in one shot.  Wouldn't it be great if post.library slowly
got integrated into the standard Amiga OS...

>To be fair, I will give
>them both credit as excellant programs, Tom ported them they ought to be.

For sure!  I can't imagine anyone owning an Amiga without having
AmigaTeX also.  What a scary concept.

Ben
--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  (416)-438-2855
150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen

drxmann@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Dustin Christmann) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep9.161754.1813@contact.uucp> ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) writes:

>For sure!  I can't imagine anyone owning an Amiga without having
>AmigaTeX also.  What a scary concept.

I truly am enticed. I'd like to know where I could get my hands on AmigaTeX.
I assume from previous postings that it is a commercial product. Please Email
any and all responses. If there are enough requests for this info, I'll sum-
marize and post it.

>Ben
>--
>Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  (416)-438-2855
>150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen
>Toronto, Ontario M5T 1Y6 | UofT Engineering Science: engb@ecf.toronto.edu
>_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_| Home: (416)-979-7885, (416)-979-8761

Thanx,
Dustin Christmann

Internet:	drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Bitnet:		drxmann@utxvm
UUCP:		...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!drxmann
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you.
 He is an idiot."	-Groucho Marx

stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) (09/10/90)

In article <4082@newton.physics.purdue.edu>, murphy@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:

> NeXT's TeX is a joy to work with.  I thought that AmigaTeX was great until
> I discovered the joys of PostScript.  Using NeXT TeX you can import any
> Encapsulated PostScript file and TeX will figure out the placement and
> spacing for the figure(s).  Yes Amiga TeX can do that also, but AmigaTeX
> doesn't have Display PostScript.  (i.e. there will be another step to
> preview the figures with something such as Post.)  To be fair, I will give
> them both credit as excellant programs, Tom ported them they ought to be.
> Bill Murphy                                  | Turtle Schmurtle, I'm the
> murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu              | Rabbit.

I just received my newsletter from Radical Eye where this was
mentioned.  Tom is in the process of putting more PostScript stuff
in AmigaTeX and integrating the previewer wit post.  The net result
is that you will be able to view PostScript figures with TeX
output.  I hope I haven't misrepresented what I read.

				Eric Stern
				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu