[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaVision a $150

rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) (08/15/90)

I think Commodore was wrong with the price.

Back in 1987 when Mac came out with HyperCard, I considered buying a
Mac.  The reason was that I saw the greatness. of hypercard.  Wow!!
Apple actually took one of the goals in the beginning of computer and
(which was to use the computer as a miniture library) and put it on the
right track .  I thought this was great.  The price was even better,
50 dollars for something that could make your computer go with a
limitied amount of effort (Naah !!) no neophyte needs that.
That is very stupid, that would make it easier to see what the computer
can do.  Only people who buy paint programs or search the public domain
or have friends that have some expertise with the Amiga should only be
able to see what it can do before hand. (naah !! you do no want to make
a computer easy to learn.)

If I was in Marketing, I would get this software out !!!!!!.  I would get it
to all the good dealers and then I would sell it for $25 dollars to everyone
else.  Then I would get the people in the amiga community to start experimemting
with this software .  I would get the stacks to the dealers and have them show
it off.  I would also get the magazines to write about it.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (08/16/90)

I do not agree! As has already been mentioned, AmigaVision has many more
capabilities that the Mac's Hypercard. I do not think that a LIST price of
$150 is high. It was already mentioned that an extremely low price would make
it look like the software was not worth anything. Also, that is a LIST price,
while I was at AmiExpo Chicago a month and a half ago, it was being sold
for $89. A very fair price I would say.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (08/17/90)

In article <1336@winnie.fit.edu>, rcs91900@zach.fit.edu (Charles
Stockman) writes:

|>I think Commodore was wrong with the price.
|>
|>  [stuff about Macs and HyperCard deleted]
|>
|>If I was in Marketing, I would get this software out !!!!!!.  I would get it
|>to all the good dealers and then I would sell it for $25 dollars to everyone
|>else.  Then I would get the people in the amiga community to start
experimemting
|>with this software .  I would get the stacks to the dealers and have
them show
|>it off.  I would also get the magazines to write about it.

Commodore *is* "getting this software out !!!!!!". It is included with EVERY
SINGLE AMIGA SOLD. You can no longer GET an Amiga without getting AmigaVision.
This is exactly what Apple did with HyperCard.

As for the price being "wrong", you are quoting list price of AmigaVision.
Actual prices will be much lower. Plus, AmigaVision really isn't comparable
to HyperCard; they do different things.

					\marc

======

'I do not fear computers.. I fear the lack of them'  -- I. Asimov
									RNM

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (08/18/90)

For what it does (and HyperCard ][ for that matter), Apple COULDN'T charge
$150...With AmigaVision, it's a bargain.

Although I don't have my copy yet (waiting for the A3000 version to be
released), we have it where I work, and I've been most impressed with it so
far, and I haven't seen any other product reviewed for the Mac or clones that
comes close to AV's functionality.

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

dailey@frith.uucp (Chris Dailey) (08/21/90)

In article <1336@winnie.fit.edu> rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) writes:
>I think Commodore was wrong with the price.
[... Mac's HyperCard story deleted ...]
>If I was in Marketing, I would get this software out !!!!!!.  I would get it
      ^^^ subjunctive, should be 'were' because there is no chance that
                       you are
>to all the good dealers and then I would sell it for $25 dollars to everyone
>else.  Then I would get the people in the amiga community to start experimemting
>with this software .  I would get the stacks to the dealers and have them show
>it off.  I would also get the magazines to write about it.

How about have the regular price be $150.00, and have a student discount
priced about $35.00?
--
  /~\  Chris Dailey   (CPS Undergrad, SOC Lab Coord, AMIG user group Secretary)
 C oo  dailey@(cpsin1.cps|frith.egr).msu.edu         (make WP5.1 for the Amiga)

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (08/24/90)

dailey@frith.uucp (Chris Dailey) writes:
>  In article <1336@winnie.fit.edu> rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman
> /ADVISOR-Clutterham) writes:
> >I think Commodore was wrong with the price.
> [... Mac's HyperCard story deleted ...]
> >If I was in Marketing, I would get this software out !!!!!!.  I would get it
>       ^^^ subjunctive, should be 'were' because there is no chance that
>                        you are
> >to all the good dealers and then I would sell it for $25 dollars to everyone
> >else.
>
> How about have the regular price be $150.00, and have a student discount
> priced about $35.00?

How about $60 Canadian, if you're a member of a Commodore/Amiga user group?
This is not a proposal to "Marketing"...it's a proposal from them...ie it's
happening right now.  Deadline is mid-November.  Don't know if a similar offer
is available outside Canada though.

rnm@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Marsanyi) (08/25/90)

I think I agree that AmigaVision needs a lower price, for the reasons given
in comparison with HyperCard.  The notion of perceived value based on price
is undercut by the argument that followed, viz. that the _real_ value of
the product will be determined by the applications it's used to create.  It
seems logical that, with a lower buy-in price, there'll be a lot more peo-
ple getting and using it and a consequent greater number of high quality
applications, along with more people having the opportunity to _see_ those
applications.
$25 sounds great to me.  I'd get it, sight unseen.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/25/90)

(This is supposed to be only 1/2 serious)

I think AmigaVision is priced wrong also, but I disagree with the
people who have posted so far.

People should not complain about $150.  It will not "scare people
away" from the Amiga because of it's price.  Since they are getting it
with a system it is free.

People that already own Amigas should be able to get it through user
groups with some kind of a discount.  For example, $50 or $30.  (I
think C-A is doing something like that).

So, how much should the price be?  One million dollars.  That's right.
One million.  Nobody would have to pay it, they could get it through
user groups for $30-$50.  Stores could stock it, and if they sold one
copy it would make for one happy commission-based salesfrob.  Stores
could even discount it.  Imagine the advertisement: "AmigaVision!  99%
off!"

And what about the C-A marketing people?  Well, since it's included
free with every purchase of an Amiga, they could advertise that buying
an Amiga 3000 is an $1,003,900 value... but they're "giving it away"
for less than $4,000.

Imagine that.  Be the first person on the block to own a > $1,000,000
computer.

-Tom
Giggle giggle meep!

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (09/05/90)

>And what about the C-A marketing people?  Well, since it's included
>free with every purchase of an Amiga, they could advertise that buying
>an Amiga 3000 is an $1,003,900 value... but they're "giving it away"
>for less than $4,000.

Umm well if ya haven't gotten you new computer yet -- the "free AMIGAVISION
Deal" is off.

It is only good for, "purchases made from 4-24-90 to 8-31-90" and
must be redeemed by 9/30/90.

Then you gotta mail away for it, and wait 4-6 weeks!!

This information presented just in case anyone was thinking about
running out and buying a new computer and hopes to get
AMIGAVISION with it.

Dave S.

karl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Karl Herrman - CATS) (09/05/90)

In article <9650008@hpcilzb.HP.COM> daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:

>Umm well if ya haven't gotten you new computer yet -- the "free AMIGAVISION
>Deal" is off.
>
>It is only good for, "purchases made from 4-24-90 to 8-31-90" and
>must be redeemed by 9/30/90.
>
>Then you gotta mail away for it, and wait 4-6 weeks!!
>

>This information presented just in case anyone was thinking about
>running out and buying a new computer and hopes to get
>AMIGAVISION with it.
>
>Dave S.

Having AmigaVision bundled with the CPU is not off.  We have no plans whatsoever
to remove AmigaVision from the A500P, 2000 series or A3000 computers.  If you
bought one of these computers since AmigaVision was announced on 24 April, 1990
you are entitled to a copy of it.  You should have received a card in with the
CPU up until now.  The actual software is now included with the CPU and everyone
who has sent in their card should be receiving their copy shortly.

Due to the fact that it took longer than anticipated to get AmigaVision into
all the CPU boxes, we will accept the card past the dates printed on it.  If
you have already bought a CPU and want AmigaVision but haven't sent your card
in do it now.  We won't accept them forever.

Karl Herrmann
C.A.T.S.
AmigaVision Project Manager

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (09/06/90)

AmigaVision is darn well worth the $150 (sugg.retail) they
ask for it. I realize Commodore is giving this away with
the machine, however they do have to let the author(s)
realize some profit from what is an incredible program that
is really a professional system. Sure Hypercard sold for
about $40, but I rate this way more powerful than that
program (MHO) for what it does. Also, would you be happy
if they gave it away to you free without a manual. This
is not a good idea for anyone. Most people might just get
frustrated (although with this great package I suspect not).

I think it's a super deal, and I just plopped down my cash for
it. I have been waiting quite a while for my dealer to get a
shipment of these (which he said were backordered). Ahh well.
It seems lots of things that are new are backordered at dealers
right now..

*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******
********* CreativEdge Systems, the Multimedia Solution    ******
********* The Computer Shoppe, Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor, MI's  ******
********* Commodore-Amiga Education Dealer                ******

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (09/07/90)

Karl,

>>Umm well if ya haven't gotten you new computer yet -- the "free AMIGAVISION
>>Deal" is off.

>>It is only good for, "purchases made from 4-24-90 to 8-31-90" and
>>must be redeemed by 9/30/90.

>>Then you gotta mail away for it, and wait 4-6 weeks!!

>Having AmigaVision bundled with the CPU is not off.  We have no plans whatsoever
>to remove AmigaVision from the A500P, 2000 series or A3000 computers.  If you

That is good to know. It is rather easy to understand my confusion though.
I got the above conditional dates from the card I mail in.

an aside - if I hadn't read about AmigaVision, I would have never known
about it. I had to ASK the damn dealer about the included AmigaVision,
since they NEVER mentioned it during my purchase. They did not demo
it for me either, until I dragged one of the sales frobs over and
asked for a demo. Even at that, it was a half hearted demo. This,
from what is suposed to be the best dealer in the area!!

>CPU up until now.  The actual software is now included with the CPU and everyone
>who has sent in their card should be receiving their copy shortly.

I am glad that it is now in the CPU box. I thought that is where my
copy was. When it was not there I went back to the dealer to ask about it.
That is when I got my little mail in card.

>Due to the fact that it took longer than anticipated to get AmigaVision into
>all the CPU boxes, we will accept the card past the dates printed on it.  If
>you have already bought a CPU and want AmigaVision but haven't sent your card
>in do it now.  We won't accept them forever.

This should be advertised. Actually AmigaVision should be advertised more.
The only thing I have seen about it has been written in magazine
reviews. I have not seen it advertised ANYWHERE, even in the magazines
which had the reviews. At the dealer the only thing that had AmigaVision
written on it was the package one copy came it. That package was
laying on the floor amid a pile of other software.

Based on what little I have seen and read about AmigaVision it seems
to be a good program. I guess I'll find out in 4 to 6 weeks :-)

>Karl Herrmann
>C.A.T.S.
>AmigaVision Project Manager

Well I guess you know more about it than I.

Thanks for setting me right.

Dave S.
----------

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (09/08/90)

Are you allowed to elaborate on the differences between AmigaVision for the
A500/A2x00 and the version for the A3000?

karl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Karl Herrman - CATS) (09/10/90)

In article <4293@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>Are you allowed to elaborate on the differences between AmigaVision for the
>A500/A2x00 and the version for the A3000?

There is not an A500/A2000 version and an A3000 version.  The new relase fixes
an incompatibility problem with the original AmigaVision release and WB 2.0.
While we were at it we fixed a number of bugs that we and found since the
original relase and improved the interface in a couple of the control screens.

In article <9650010@hpcilzb.HP.COM> daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:

>That is good to know. It is rather easy to understand my confusion though.
>I got the above conditional dates from the card I mail in.
>
>an aside - if I hadn't read about AmigaVision, I would have never known
>about it. I had to ASK the damn dealer about the included AmigaVision,
>since they NEVER mentioned it during my purchase. They did not demo
>it for me either, until I dragged one of the sales frobs over and
>asked for a demo. Even at that, it was a half hearted demo. This,
>from what is suposed to be the best dealer in the area!!

Commodore's marketing department does have display materials available for
the dealers.  This includes a video tape, ad brochures and signs.  Also, now
that AmigaVision is in the box there will be a sticker on the outside saying
that AmigaVision is included.

>I am glad that it is now in the CPU box. I thought that is where my
>copy was. When it was not there I went back to the dealer to ask about it.
>That is when I got my little mail in card.

There were machines shipped without cards, if you bought an A500P, A2000 series
or A3000 since April 24, 1990 and didn't get a card contact your dealer he
should have one for you.

>Actually AmigaVision should be advertised more.
>The only thing I have seen about it has been written in magazine
>reviews. I have not seen it advertised ANYWHERE, even in the magazines
>which had the reviews. At the dealer the only thing that had AmigaVision
>written on it was the package one copy came it. That package was
>laying on the floor amid a pile of other software.

I just saw some ads for it in one of the magazines, but I can't remember which
one.