[comp.sys.amiga] AUDIO IN ???

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (09/07/90)

Hi, out there,
This is a simple question, and I am probably just going to take the risk, and
try it, but I have the following:

A VCR, hooked up to my 1084 CVBS in,
and my amiga sound+RGB hooked up to the 1084,
Now, I am incredibly lazy, and I don't want to switch cables, and I like
to listen to MTV orso while playing with the computer etc.
So I found the AUDIO IN, on the serial-port.
I know the 64 had one, and I could hook up any line-input apparatus, that was
than mixed with the 64-sound.   ( input offcourse is line-OUTPUT)
Does anyone know, if I can hook up any line-output sound-device to the AUDIO
IN? Or does it need to be something else?
On the AMiga-diagrams, it shows a .22 MicroFarad cap. and a 10K resistor,
before it is added to the right channel.
Can I just hook up the VCR to this AUDI pin on the serial port, or is than
a very big NONO!

Thanks a lot!   Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEM@FANDM)
                                (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

johnhlee@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Johnny H. Lee) (09/10/90)

In article <29696@nigel.ee.udel.edu> NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
[...]
)Now, I am incredibly lazy, and I don't want to switch cables, and I like
)to listen to MTV orso while playing with the computer etc.
)...]
)
)Thanks a lot!   Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEM@FANDM)
)                                (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

According to the new blue-cover _Amiga Hardware Reference Manual_ from
Addison-Wesley, the AUDIO IN pin is an analog audio input whose signal
is mixed in with the output of the right channel audio from the Amiga.
It is intended for use by a modem so that the modem's line-monitoring
sound can be mixed and heard with the Amiga audio.  The AUDIO IN is
not used nor can it even be examined by the CPU.

The jist of all this is that it seems you can do exactly what you want.
Now as for the line levels, I have no idea.  Watch out for ground loops
and different ground voltages.  Of course, you use this information at
your own risk.  You take responsibility for blowing up your computer,
and I'll take responsibility for blowing up mine.  :-)

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

mt87692@lehtori.tut.fi (Tsokkinen Mikko) (09/11/90)

In article <45585@cornell.UUCP> johnhlee@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Johnny H. Lee) writes:

> In article <29696@nigel.ee.udel.edu> NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
> [...]
> )Now, I am incredibly lazy, and I don't want to switch cables, and I like
> )to listen to MTV orso while playing with the computer etc.
> )...]
> )Does anyone know, if I can hook up any line-output sound-device to the AUDIO
> )IN? Or does it need to be something else?
> [...]
> )Can I just hook up the VCR to this AUDI pin on the serial port, or is than
> )a very big NONO!
> )
> )Thanks a lot!   Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEM@FANDM)
> )                                (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

> According to the new blue-cover _Amiga Hardware Reference Manual_ from
> Addison-Wesley, the AUDIO IN pin is an analog audio input whose signal
> is mixed in with the output of the right channel audio from the Amiga.
> It is intended for use by a modem so that the modem's line-monitoring
> sound can be mixed and heard with the Amiga audio.  The AUDIO IN is
> not used nor can it even be examined by the CPU.

 If AUDIO IN works similar to CBM64 the output is mixed to computers internal
sound according to volume level and filter (powerled). Actually in CBM64
other filter settings (trigger, noise etc.) affected the AUDIO IN too.

> The jist of all this is that it seems you can do exactly what you want.
> Now as for the line levels, I have no idea.  Watch out for ground loops
> and different ground voltages.  Of course, you use this information at
> your own risk.  You take responsibility for blowing up your computer,
> and I'll take responsibility for blowing up mine.  :-)

^^Sounds fair! I didn't blow up my CBM64 by connecting my ghettoblaster
to it (if this makes you more comfortable).

 MIT

Hardware:
 Pal B2K rev6.2, Kick1.3, 1MB chip, MC68010, 2 internal 3.5" drives
Software (typical setup):
 QMouse1.6, Setpatch r, Tracksalve 01nsu, 20track bootrad,
 FastFonts, Conman, ARP, Overscan screen(734*284)

--
Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen
Internet mt87692@tut.fi : UUCP tut!mt87692 : Bitnet mt87692@fintut