[comp.sys.amiga] Mysterious Error w/VLTjr

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (09/10/90)

Ever since I switched over to the newest(4.8<something>) version of
VLTjr, I have been getting strange error messages when line noise
comes over the modem.  A error message(in a little message box) pops
up with the following cryptic message: "Error in line 0; token; srx
unknown command".  Now I do not have any scripts running(that I am
aware of anyway) and specifically entered an <ESC> to kill any that
might have been around but still the same thing happens.  Does anyone
have a reason that this is happening and a way to prevent it.  I know
if I had an MNP modem I wouldn't get line noise but that is another
problem.
Thanks
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

myb100@csc.anu.oz (09/11/90)

In article <1549@syteke.be>, jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
> Ever since I switched over to the newest(4.8<something>) version of
> VLTjr, I have been getting strange error messages when line noise
> comes over the modem.  A error message(in a little message box) pops
> up with the following cryptic message: "Error in line 0; token; srx
> unknown command". Now I do not have any scripts running(that I am
> aware of anyway) and specifically entered an <ESC> to kill any that
> might have been around but still the same thing happens.  Does anyone
> have a reason that this is happening and a way to prevent it.  I know
> if I had an MNP modem I wouldn't get line noise but that is another
> problem.
> Thanks

Hmm, you wouldn't happen to have installed the new VLT with your old .init
file by any chance ? What has happened is that VLT now uses a different way
of executing scripts. In my case, I got the same message everytime the terminal
tried to beep at me. The problem was that the bell command was set as

~srx "address 'Pingserver' beep"

~ meant to execute something, s indicated a script, rx is the Arexx command.
The new version of VLt requires the above command to be changed to

~rx "address 'Pingserver' beep"

and the problem went away. Try it and see ! (I don't know if there is any
connection with modem line noise....sorry)

[I take it you know how to change the bell command ? if not, mail me]

Cheers,

> Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
> Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
> Brussels Belgium     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim

 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank
 Phone donations: AUS-6-249-0280 Flames: alt.dev.null  Disclaimer: standard