[comp.sys.amiga] TeX for the Amiga & the DECUS TeX collection.

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (09/09/90)

G'day,

there was announcement of a new DECUS TeX collection (in comp.org.decus
I think). Within that announcement was news of some Amiga TeX stuff I'd
like to be able to get. {I don't really know what it is, sorry. :-(}

Firstly, I think Glenn (sp?) Everhart may have placed these there since
I know that he works for DECUS and is also and Amiga programmer.  Glenn
is that the case?

But the bottom line is that I would like to GET some of this stuff soon
{rather than wait for a DECUS tape to arrive here downunder :-)}.

So does anyone know if this stuff is available via FTP?

Are these TeX programs the same ones that were talked about recently (I
think they were supposed to be on `newxanth' and then not there ?) here
in this newsgroup?

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (09/10/90)

In article <1023@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:
>G'day,
>
>there was announcement of a new DECUS TeX collection (in comp.org.decus
>I think). Within that announcement was news of some Amiga TeX stuff I'd
>like to be able to get. {I don't really know what it is, sorry. :-(}

[...]

>Are these TeX programs the same ones that were talked about recently (I
>think they were supposed to be on `newxanth' and then not there ?) here
>in this newsgroup?

It is a TeX 3.0 Version with drivers at the `newxanth'.
The file is 'PasTeX.lzh' in '/incoming/amiga'.

>yours truly,
>Lou Cavallo.

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

bmacinre@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) (09/10/90)

Georg> In article <1023@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Georg> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:

>Are these TeX programs the same ones that were talked about recently (I
>think they were supposed to be on `newxanth' and then not there ?) here
>in this newsgroup?

Georg> It is a TeX 3.0 Version with drivers at the `newxanth'.
Georg> The file is 'PasTeX.lzh' in '/incoming/amiga'.

There is another TeX distribution of `newxanth' called tex3-mf2??? or
something similar and it's been there for a couple of months.  I
downloaded it to get Metafont (that's the mf2 part of the title).

--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

ted@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US (Ted Nieland) (09/11/90)

>In article <1023@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:
>G'day,
>
>there was announcement of a new DECUS TeX collection (in comp.org.decus
>I think). Within that announcement was news of some Amiga TeX stuff I'd
>like to be able to get. {I don't really know what it is, sorry. :-(}
>
>Firstly, I think Glenn (sp?) Everhart may have placed these there since
>I know that he works for DECUS and is also and Amiga programmer.  Glenn
>is that the case?
>
>But the bottom line is that I would like to GET some of this stuff soon
>{rather than wait for a DECUS tape to arrive here downunder :-)}.
>
>So does anyone know if this stuff is available via FTP?
>
>Are these TeX programs the same ones that were talked about recently (I
>think they were supposed to be on `newxanth' and then not there ?) here
>in this newsgroup?
>
>yours truly,
>Lou Cavallo.

The Amiga TeX Material in the DECUS TeX Collection are the Common TeX version 3.0
Amiga Port that were available on XANTH at one time.  Also included are a few
DVI drivers and LPE (LaTeX Picture Editor).  There is no previewer included at
this time, as a public domain previewer has not been announced by anyone yet.

I have used a few of the DVI drivers on my Amiga (before I got the RES versions)
and they work okay.  I didn't try the actual Amiga Port because I have the RES
version (which is GREAT).  I am using LPE (VERY carefully).

All the material is in ZOO archives.

I will be sending a copy of the DECUS TeX Collection to Austrailia this week and
the DECUS TeX Collection will be available for Anonymous FTP later this month.

--
M. Edward (Ted) Nieland
DECUS TeX Collection Editor

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (09/11/90)

G'day,

TN> In article <ted.3417@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US>, ted@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US
TN> (Ted Nieland) writes:

LC> In article <1023@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
LC> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:

LC> there was announcement of a new DECUS TeX collection (in comp.org.decus

TN> The Amiga TeX Material in the DECUS TeX Collection are the Common TeX
TN> version 3.0 Amiga Port that were available on XANTH at one time.  Also
TN> [...]
TN> I have used a few of the DVI drivers on my Amiga (before I got the RES
TN> versions) and they work okay. I didn't try the actual Amiga Port because
TN> I have the RES version (which is GREAT). I am using LPE (VERY carefully).

Thanks Ted and to everyone else who sent me e-mail help or followup'ed to my
original posting. {In some of the cases of my replying to mail, replies have
bounced. I apologise if you didn't get a reply but I tried...}

BTW: Ted what is the RES version? Is it a VMS TeX collection? {You can reply
by e-mail if you wish.}

TN> I will be sending a copy of the DECUS TeX Collection to Austrailia this
TN> week and the DECUS TeX Collection will be available for Anonymous FTP
TN> later this month.

Great! Thanks! Bewdy maaate!