[comp.sys.amiga] Bugs and ToDo in GNU Emacs 0.3. Please help.

bmacinre@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) (09/10/90)

Kent> bmacinre@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
>So, if you want to play with it, it's almost usable now.  Of course, the
>thing still takes 3 minutes to load, so it's not for the casual user.
>:-)

Kent> Hmmm.  My sysadmin friends who use GNUemacs just fire it up once at the
Kent> beginning of the day and never leave it, so in a system with a lot of
Kent> memory, the three minutes might not be a big deal.  Have you tried it
Kent> enough to know if it can be used the same way on the Amiga (spawn all
Kent> other jobs from within GNUemacs and capture the output into edit buffers
Kent> as needed)?  This could be a real productivity environment for software
Kent> development, if so.

Sorry Kent, no dice yet.  No subtasks yet.  Being one of the people who
"fire it up once at the beginning of the day and never leave it" I agree
it would be great.  As an editor, you can still do that, but no shells,
ftp, compiles, gnus, vm, rmail, etc etc etc.

I told the author (Mark Henning) to post a list of what still has to be
done, to get ideas on the best ways to solve the problems.  He still
hasn't so I'm doing it now.

First, the "known Bugs":
-----
1. if a file does not exist when emacs tries to save a file, it thinks
it does, but is write protected.  just answer "yes" when it asks if it
should write anyway.

2. international keyboards unsuported as of yet.  Will Correct SOON!

3. PAL screens not yet supported.
-----

As you can see these aren't too serious.  I have just downloaded this,
haven't tried it yet (only tried 0.1) but that also had a bug in file
completion.

From the "ToDo" section in his "emacs.release" file:
---------
1.  add code to look for pal screen and act accordingly

2.  add code to allow for keyboard lookup modification.

3.  Make a dumpable version.  This is no longer my top priority. Reason
being that MANX 5.0a has a compiler bug which doesn't allow the -m flag
to work in certain instances.

4.  Add an arexx port.  Any help on this would be nice, as I have no
clue how to implement one.

5.  Make a socket.device.  This is so that a "newcli SOCKET:" can be
called in emacs.  The socket device will act as a con: window through
message ports with emacs to make subprocesses be able to get I/O to and
from emacs.

6.  recompile with optimization algorithems applied as well as the
signal buffering.  (signal trapping was removed because MANX SDB
doesn't function when this is used, optimizing is also not done for

7. Add the code to run emacs from workbench.  I already have the
function set up to do this, but it is currently only sets up an argc
and argv array to fool emacs into thinking it was launched from the
CLI.  It will still do this, but later will check for tools to set
screen modes and other things like that.
------
As you can guess, 3-5 are the ones that are making it "not for general
use"

I can live without 3 and 4 for the time being, but #5 is _crucial_ for a
real emacs environment.  Without the ability to execute subtasks and
have their I/O go through an Emacs buffer, I can't see the huge
resources Emacs needs being justified for most people.  Me, I'd still
use it ... :-) ... probably ... if it didn't crash and file completion
worked 100%

If anyone can suggest any solutions to this guys problem, please send
him mail!!  Especiall #3, that should be quite a tricky problem.

His name is Mark Henning, his ID is henning@stolaf.edu

Thanks to anybody who can help.

Kent> <xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>
--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

mk59200@lapintiainen.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.022031.16240@watcgl.waterloo.edu>,
bmacinre@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
|> 2. international keyboards unsuported as of yet.  Will Correct SOON!

Does it support the full 8-bit character set?  International keyboards
aren't very
useful without them.

|> 3. PAL screens not yet supported.

How about overscan and ECS modes?