[comp.sys.amiga] CrossDos

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (10/09/89)

Tad Guy <tadguy@cs.odu.edu> writes:

> Thanks.  I've added the description you provided to the .zoo, and have
> placed it as /amiga/CrossDos305b.zoo.  I'll leave it to you to announce
> this in comp.sys.amiga, if you choose.

So the CrossDos305b.zoo is now available for anon. FTP from
XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU.  This file is the one that is often called MSFS305B.ZOO
on various BBS systems that can't provide decent filenames.  A (sorta)
brief description follows:

          CrossDos  is a software product that allows the user to read
          and   write  MS-DOS/PC-DOS  and  Atari  ST  formatted  disks
          (Version  2.0  or  higher) directly from AmigaDOS.  It fully
          integrates  itself  into the Amiga operating system to allow
          your  MS-DOS  formatted  disks to be accessed from virtually
          any  utility  or application.  This allows you to access any
          MS-DOS file just as you would any other Amiga file.

          The  release  you  presently have is a "READONLY" version of
          the  CrossDos.   It  is  a  fully  functional version of the
          product  with all writing functions disabled.  If any writes
          are   attempted   to   the   MS-DOS  disk  you  will  get  a
          "Write-Protected" requestor to pop-up.

          A  summary  of  the  main  features  of CrossDos (READ/WRITE
          version) are:

          -  MS-DOS  formatted  disks  are  integrated  as part of the
             Amiga operating  system  allowing access  from  any Amiga
             utility   or  application  (including  file  requesters).
             Perform most AmigaDOS functions:
             -  Read and write any file.
             -  Relabel the disk name.
             -  Create directories.
             -  Rename  any  files  or  directories  within  or across
                directories.
             -  Set file or directory dates and protection bits.

          -  MS-DOS  formatted  disks  (Versions  2.0  and higher) are
             supported.
          -  Two ASCII text filter options are provided.
          -  Disk  changes  are  sensed  automatically  (if  the drive
             provides the proper hardware signal).
          -  Floppy  disk  parameters  are  sensed  automatically (ie.
             double-sided,   single-sided,   8   or  9  sectors/track,
             etc.).
          -  ".info"  file  extensions  are  supported  for  use  with
             WORKBENCH.
          -  Double  Track  Step  Mode  is available to read and write
             standard  40  track  floppies  on  an  80  track,  5 1/4"
             drive.
          -  Minimal  memory  is required (approx.  80 bytes) when the
             file system is not accessed.
          -  "Kill"  utility  can  be  used  to  recover resources and
             memory after use.
          -  Special  utilities  to  format,  diskcopy  and  check the
             integrity of MS-DOS disks are provided.
          -  Software is not copy-protected.

nigrone@olivey.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Ivan Borzieri) (09/10/90)

Hi there,

I've got a very big problem !!!

I ftp'ed several progs from ftp sites, but on a PC, not directly on my Amiga.

So, now I've got over 80 megs of stuff here on my hard disk, and I can't use it,
cause I haven't got CrossDos or Dos2Dos.

Now, I don't like very much the idea that I'm going to pay 130 $ (that's the price of CrossDos here in Italy) for such a stupid utility .

Does anyone knows if there is such a program for the PC in the PD ?

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/11/90)

In article <49377@olivea.atc.olivetti.com>, nigrone@olivey.ATC.Olivetti.Com
(Ivan Borzieri) says:
>Does anyone knows if there is such a program for the PC in the PD ?

There is.  It is called MSH:, and it has gone by here on the nets, so it
must be on FTP at abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov.

collins@Alliant.COM (Phil Collins) (09/11/90)

    If thats too expensive for an excellent software package,then try a null
modem.

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (09/12/90)

In article <49377@olivea.atc.olivetti.com> nigrone@olivey.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Ivan Borzieri) writes:
>Now, I don't like very much the idea that I'm going to pay 130 $ (that's the
>price of CrossDos here in Italy) for such a stupid utility .
>
>Does anyone knows if there is such a program for the PC in the PD ?

There's MSH, which should do the trick for you.  Or you can cobble a null
modem together and tie the PC and the Amiga together by their serial ports
and transfer stuff that way.  Or, if worse comes to worse, get a regular
modem on the PC, one on the Amiga, and dial from one to another.

--
It doesn't matter what temperature a room is; it's | Steven King  708-540-6771