[comp.sys.amiga] HELP Dave Hanie or Kim E. DeVaughn.

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (09/06/90)

i{}
{}
well I have this WEIRD problem., I can't find some files.
i know they are there. They are in my C: dir nd they run and everything.
the problem i can't SEE them, I try ls -h (for hidden and No GO!)
they don't show up with DIR LIST or anything.....
but they RUN!!!!

I did a ls -R and saw no file called ZHOW (also missing Qview)
but the thing worked, i could do Zhow Foo.iff and see the iff.

I am very puzzled at this, at first i thought they were hidden but they
don't seem to show up on anything.

also i got a "Weird" file in my c: dir it just called "t"
with Dirtools is shows up as a square box then a "t"
i can't delete this bugger to save my life.
i get error #
205 can't get info.

THese hidden files don't show up on broswser either. but they used to...
and they run.

I'll run FixDisk (I did run B.A.D on this floppy a week ago) on it.
any help is welcomed, I have no idea what's going on.

Inifinite K on 1 Floppy?
.

--
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Agricultural  Engineering, Purdue University

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (09/06/90)

Well I ran Fixdisk it showed the mssing files,
and the File thet ia so weird ia a Big "C" in a box (inverse)
follored by a "t"
i lookec at it with fixdisk and it appears to be a program.
ie it says nudos.library ect.... (I'll run an ANIT virus thing next)

i tried to delete the thing with FiXdiskand it said.
"BIG TROUBLE CAN'T find HASH Table"

never heard that error befor.... (heard or hash tables tho don't know
what they are either.))

well Will the Deity Dave Hannie HELP.... (just a joke)

well any help is welcomed.
.
:wq

--

In <1990Sep6.034154.9272@ecn.purdue.edu>, yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>well I have this WEIRD problem., I can't find some files.
>i know they are there. They are in my C: dir nd they run and everything.
>the problem i can't SEE them, I try ls -h (for hidden and No GO!)
>they don't show up with DIR LIST or anything.....
>but they RUN!!!!

There are two ways, in general, that the Amiga finds files on disk. One is by
knowing the name of a file, and going directly to it. This is how a program
gets executed. The other was is by not knowing the name, and having to traverse
the directory structure. This is how a LIST or DIR works.

>I did a ls -R and saw no file called ZHOW (also missing Qview)
>but the thing worked, i could do Zhow Foo.iff and see the iff.

You should also be able to do a 'COPY Zhow RAM:', since the copy comand will
go directly to the full file name and find it.

>I am very puzzled at this, at first i thought they were hidden but they
>don't seem to show up on anything.

Well, they are hidden, but not on purpose, and not properly. The directory
structure is corruptThere are a number of ways this could be, but in general,
one of the subdirectory or file headers that gets examined before the hidden
file has bad pointers in it.

>also i got a "Weird" file in my c: dir it just called "t"
>with Dirtools is shows up as a square box then a "t"
>i can't delete this bugger to save my life.
>i get error #
>205 can't get info.

That is probably a corrupt file header showing up.

>I'll run FixDisk (I did run B.A.D on this floppy a week ago) on it.
>any help is welcomed, I have no idea what's going on.

Ahh... there's the probable reason for all this. Something interrupted a run of
B.A.D. or perhaps it got confused.

>well Will the Deity Dave Hannie HELP.... (just a joke)

Yes he will, and in fact, he has already, by creating a great utility called
DiskSalv. Get it, use it on this disk, and keep it around, especially if you
are going to run disk optimizers on your only copy of a floppy. Better to make
a backup BEFORE you do drastic things to a diskette.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.034154.9272@ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>well I have this WEIRD problem., I can't find some files.
>i know they are there. They are in my C: dir nd they run and everything.
>the problem i can't SEE them, I try ls -h (for hidden and No GO!)
>they don't show up with DIR LIST or anything.....
>but they RUN!!!!

Try looking in all the directories that are in your path.  You must have
inadvertantly renamed them into another directory.  Look in your root first.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

In article <1990Sep6.034154.9272@ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>well I have this WEIRD problem., I can't find some files.
>i know they are there. They are in my C: dir and they run and everything.
>the problem i can't SEE them, I try ls -h (for hidden and No GO!)
>they don't show up with DIR LIST or anything.....
>but they RUN!!!!

Are you sure you're not confusing real files with commands built into the
shell you're using?  It's possible you have some kind of directory
confusion in your C: directory, though most cases of directory corruption
come with an error that'll be noticed by the filesystem.  If you have
DiskSalv, it should be able to salvage that disk and get back a normally
structured directory.

>I'll run FixDisk (I did run B.A.D on this floppy a week ago) on it.
>any help is welcomed, I have no idea what's going on.

My experience with FixDisk (well, I do have to check out the competition if
I'm going to do better, eh) is that it's pretty safe, and recovers most of
the same things DiskSalv V1.42 handles.

>yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
>Agricultural  Engineering, Purdue University

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (09/09/90)

In article <1932@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <1990Sep6.034154.9272@ecn.purdue.edu>, yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>>well I have this WEIRD problem., I can't find some files.
>>i know they are there. They are in my C: dir nd they run and everything.
>>the problem i can't SEE them, I try ls -h (for hidden and No GO!)
>
>There are two ways, in general, that the Amiga finds files on disk. One is by
>knowing the name of a file, and going directly to it. This is how a program
>gets executed. The other was is by not knowing the name, and having to traverse
>the directory structure. This is how a LIST or DIR works.
[...]
>Well, they are hidden, but not on purpose, and not properly. The directory
>structure is corruptThere are a number of ways this could be, but in general,
>one of the subdirectory or file headers that gets examined before the hidden
>file has bad pointers in it.

I can think of two other possibilities.  One: I am told that the list
command (the ARP list command, possibly not the normal Amiga one) has a
bug that causes it to not list files with an invalid file date.  This
doesn't entirely explain why a "dir" wouldn't show them, though.

Two:  The files are NOT in the C: dir but are somehow on the command path,
thus they run but do not show up when a dir or list of C: is performed.
This seems most likely to me.

>>also i got a "Weird" file in my c: dir it just called "t"
>>with Dirtools is shows up as a square box then a "t"
>>i can't delete this bugger to save my life.
>
>That is probably a corrupt file header showing up.

Maybe - but it also could be just an errant (but otherwise normal) file
with some odd character before the "t" (showing up in Dirtools as a
non-printable character).  I'd bet if he could figure out what character
this is or find a dir util which can use nonprintable characters in filenames
it could be deleted without harm.  Then again, you may be right.

>>I'll run FixDisk (I did run B.A.D on this floppy a week ago) on it.
>>any help is welcomed, I have no idea what's going on.
>
>Ahh... there's the probable reason for all this. Something interrupted a run of
>B.A.D. or perhaps it got confused.

Sure... blame B.A.D.

BTW: B.A.D. 4.0 still on RSN, but is more like RRRSN now.  It's 100%
operational, but there are a few details in the user interface yet to
be properly finished.  (no more real coding is needed, however)  The
authors tell me it'll be another two weeks.  Note that they said
something very similar back in March to me.  But it is closer to release
now than it was in March, this much I can vouch for.

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (09/10/90)

>>well I have this WEIRD problem., I can't find some files.
>>i know they are there. They are in my C: dir nd they run and everything.
>>the problem i can't SEE them, I try ls -h (for hidden and No GO!)
>>they don't show up with DIR LIST or anything.....
>>but they RUN!!!!

>Try looking in all the directories that are in your path.  You must have
>inadvertantly renamed them into another directory.  Look in your root first.

I KNOW ABOUT MY PATHS, I was hoping for some more "insitefull answers"

The programs ARE IN THE df0:C directory, LIST,DIR,LS Do not find the
files, Fixdisk saw them and said they were okay, Fixdisk could NOT
delete the [C]t file (a inverse C with a t after it)
and i tredd to delete and it sait the Hash Chain was missing.
I also have noiced that there ate a Lot of files "Invisible"
like addbuffers,CED,DW,and a few others. this it's not
just 2 files it's about 7 files, I also can't see, to
do anything with a file (like te,tcc,ts)

ie i can do this:

1> tco   ;opens AREXX error window.
2> cp tcp ram:  ;try to copy tco to ram:
Can't Find tco.

thus it runs but the system can't find it, But LS see it!

I Think i got some seriois Hash Chain Problems here,

Abyone got any better suggestions......
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
------
 \  /     Ratts! How do ya make an HourGlass!.

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (09/10/90)

>>well I have this WEIRD problem., I can't find some files.
>>i know they are there. They are in my C: dir nd they run and everything.
>
>You should also be able to do a 'COPY Zhow RAM:', since the copy comand will
>go directly to the full file name and find it.

 Well i tried a Copy Zshow Ram:
it said "Can't Open Zshow"

>>well Will the Deity Dave Hannie HELP.... (just a joke)
>
>Yes he will, and in fact, he has already, by creating a great utility called
>DiskSalv. Get it, use it on this disk, and keep it around, especially if you

	Well I use'd disksalve quite often befor.. What's the newest version?
I thought there was to be a version with a "Graphic Interface"

I'll just Rebuild my WB disk, but's there is really a BIG problem.
i mean the disk WORKS, so i'll get around to it sometime.

In <2063@nyx.UUCP>, bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>In article <1932@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <1990Sep6.034154.9272@ecn.purdue.edu>, yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>
>Two:  The files are NOT in the C: dir but are somehow on the command path,
>thus they run but do not show up when a dir or list of C: is performed.
>This seems most likely to me.

This too, is possible, though how likely it is depends a lot on whether you use
paths, and whether the files in question were ever in a directory other than
the one he thinks they are in.

>>>also i got a "Weird" file in my c: dir it just called "t"
>>>with Dirtools is shows up as a square box then a "t"
>>>i can't delete this bugger to save my life.
>>
>>That is probably a corrupt file header showing up.
>
>Maybe - but it also could be just an errant (but otherwise normal) file
>with some odd character before the "t" (showing up in Dirtools as a
>non-printable character).  I'd bet if he could figure out what character
>this is or find a dir util which can use nonprintable characters in filenames
>it could be deleted without harm.  Then again, you may be right.

I didn't notice if he was using any 'DirTools' or not. I am not familiar with
any of them, as I never use them. Whenever someone has a problem like this, I
assume (probably erroeously) that they have gone to the CLI in order to find
out what's really happening.

>>>I'll run FixDisk (I did run B.A.D on this floppy a week ago) on it.
>>>any help is welcomed, I have no idea what's going on.
>>
>>Ahh... there's the probable reason for all this. Something interrupted a run of
>>B.A.D. or perhaps it got confused.
>
>Sure... blame B.A.D.

Yes and no. I am not really blaming BAD for those problems where the user
crashed the machine while BAD was running, but I have blamed BAD for many
problems in the past, even though I have never used it. Many, many folks have
reported problems with BAD, and when they do, I recommend that theyFULLY back
up any partition they are going to run it on. Any program that shuffles your
data around on a partition leaves it is a bad state for at least a short time,
and the author's first priority should be to minimize this window of
innoportunity, in addition to the more obvious steps taken to ensure data
integrity. BAD has not always lived up to these criteria. I don't know if it
does now, or in the version to come, but not everyone has the latest version.

>BTW: B.A.D. 4.0 still on RSN, but is more like RRRSN now.  It's 100%
>operational, but there are a few details in the user interface yet to
>be properly finished.  (no more real coding is needed, however)  The
>authors tell me it'll be another two weeks.  Note that they said
>something very similar back in March to me.  But it is closer to release
>now than it was in March, this much I can vouch for.

Maybe I'll even buy it one day, but certainly not until it is proven to be safe
to use. IMHO, it has not proven itself yet.

-larry