[comp.sys.amiga] IFF

I just notived in todays Computer Graphics Today that compuserve Inc has
defined an interchangable graphics format (GIF) to allow Mac's and IBM's
and other computers to exchange pictures. They go on to note that GIF
readers are also available for the Amiga and ST's.

Is there some reason they did'nt use IFF ?

Do IFF readers exists for *other* machines (Suns, Apollos ?)

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

barry@aurora.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (07/16/87)

In article <954@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>I just notived in todays Computer Graphics Today that compuserve Inc has
>defined an interchangable graphics format (GIF) to allow Mac's and IBM's
>and other computers to exchange pictures. They go on to note that GIF
>readers are also available for the Amiga and ST's.
>Is there some reason they did'nt use IFF ?

	Why, because Amiga is an oddball machine whose existence isn't
even acknowledged by the Big Guys, of course ;-).
	But, seriously, folks... I've downloaded the GIF software and
some pics from Compuserve, and it does have one great advantage over
IFF: the same picture is a much smaller file when GIF encoded than IFF
encoded - anywhere from 1/2 to 1/8 the IFF size. When you're downloading
at 1200bps at Compuserve's exorbitant hourly rates, that's a big plus.
	I noticed in the docfile for it that it supports huge
resolutions, too - over 16K X 16K, I presume for the purpose of encoding
pics intended for a laser printer. Does IFF support this? I know, don't
answer, I should read the manual.
	One real stupidity of GIF, though. The maximum # of colors
supported is 256 (somebody's wearing IBM-trademarked blinders). The
conversion software for converting Amiga's IFF pics to GIF doesn't
understand HAM at all; it doesn't cut the # of colors down, it just
ignores the HAM flag and screws up the colors completely. If you've ever
tried viewing a HAM pic with one of the old 'show' utilities that didn't
understand HAM mode, you've seen what the resulting picture looks like.
As for going the other direction: I haven't found any pics on
Compuserve, so far, that use more than 16 colors, so I don't know what
the Amiga's GIF software would do with a 256 color pic. What it should
do, ideally, is convert it to HAM mode, of course; what it probably
actually does is reduce the # of colors.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
ELECTRIC AVENUE:		{hplabs,seismo,dual,ihnp4}!ames!aurora!barry

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (07/17/87)

In article <794@> barry@aurora.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>In article <954@>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>
>>I just notived in todays Computer Graphics Today that compuserve Inc has
>>defined an interchangable graphics format (GIF) to allow [computers like
>>the Mac, IBM, Amiga, ST etc.] to exchange pictures.
>>Is there some reason they did'nt use IFF ?
>	I noticed in the docfile for it that it supports huge
>resolutions, too - over 16K X 16K, I presume for the purpose of encoding
>pics intended for a laser printer. Does IFF support this? I know, don't
>answer, I should read the manual.

Absolutly.  IFF files have *LOTS* of elbow-room.  A 65535*65535 picture
would fit real comfortably in a IFF "ILBM" form, though most IFF readers
would probably either choke on this, or clip it down to reasonable size.

Compuserve *COULD* have used an IFF file for GIF without giving up anything.
If the compression of "ILBM" was not enough, they could have even designed
a new one.  (Existing readers would need to be upgraded, but that's a lot
less work than conforming to a totally NEW standard)

IFF is a quite an asset for the Amiga to have had from the start.  As its
planners intended, IFF is also starting to creep to other computers like the
Apple Macintosh.

To clear up a point:
"IFF" is much more than a graphics interchange format.  It is a standard for
creating all sorts of interchangeable files (The acronym stands for
"Interchangeable File Format").  It was defined by Commodore-Amiga and
Electronics Arts.
One of the standard types of IFF files that has been defined can contain a
picture (The "ILBM" mentioned above).  Other IFF definitions exist for
sampled sound ("SVX8"), simple musical score ("SMUS"), etc...
Developers are encouraged to save their application's data in IFF files, and
then publish the format.  Applications from different manufactures can then
easily swap information back and forth.  "SPRD" could be a standard for
spreadsheets, etc...
"Secret" IFF types are also possible.   Existing IFF "forms" can be expanded
at any time, often without affecting forward OR backward compatibility.

-----------------------------
|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, EOT, SOH)
{o O} .
( " )	bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!cogsci!bryce
  U	"Success leads to stagnation; stagnation leads to failure."

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (09/12/90)

Thanks to those who replied.
I now have my software reading/writing/displaying/transporting/cutting/pasting
all IFF ILBMs including HAMs.
I have not tried SHAMs as I do not have any samples.

I have one more question:
The carried over RGB to the first pixel on a scanline for a HAM; is it:
- the background color (color index 0)
- black (RGB $000) or some other constant.
- the last value of the previous line (in which case what is the carried over
RGB value for the first pixel on the screen)
- something else.

Please respond by E-mail. Although we get Amiga newsgroups, they are usually
deleted before I get a chance to read them (you have to be quick).

Thanks, John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072