[comp.sys.amiga] smalltalk

panon@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Paul-Andre Panon) (09/12/90)

In article <1"83@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> jrichard@hawk.elowell.edu (John Richardson) writes:

>If Oxxi does go ahead with the Ada project and the compiler generates good
>code (not to many Ada compilers do) then we may get some US govt. projects
>that would otherwise go off into the Big Blue sky.
>
>By the way, I would really like to see a smalltalk for the Amiga too.

At the WINDOW conference last weekend here in Vancouver, I was fortunate
enough to hear Adele Goldberg talk about "Technology of the future".

In separate discussions after her talk, a friend of mine found out that
ParcPlace Systems, the new company for which she is both President and CEO,
will be developing a new compiled version of smalltalk (read efficient)
for a number of target machines, which will use the native windowing systems
of those machines.

If you want it, you should probably start lobbying :-). My friend said this
version sounded highly superior to those previously available. He's a
smalltalk freak (he took the opportunity to get her to autograph his copy of
the Dynabook report) so he may have known what he was talking about. :-) :-)

--
      panon@staff.ucs.ubc.ca           or      USERPAP1@UBCMTSG
or    ppanon@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca       or      USERPAP1@mtsg.ubc.ca