[comp.sys.amiga] Nothing to do with Amigas

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (09/11/90)

In article <2138@wn1.sci.kun.nl> janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) writes:
>People in the Netherlands generally speak Dutch, not German. That language
>is spoken by our eastern neighbours.

How recently did they become "neighbors"?  :-) (Referring to the U.S.
connotations that "neighbor" is someone friendly.)
--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (09/12/90)

From article <1990Sep11.003400.16632@lavaca.uh.edu>, by jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend):
> In article <2138@wn1.sci.kun.nl> janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) writes:
>>People in the Netherlands generally speak Dutch, not German. That language
>>is spoken by our eastern neighbours.
>
> How recently did they become "neighbors"?  :-) (Referring to the U.S.
> connotations that "neighbor" is someone friendly.)

Interesting how words change meaning when they move to the US :-)
Here it means the same as the German gentleman used it - the peole next
door.
Anyway - I thought Dutch was also referred to as "Low German".
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

In article <2206@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) writes:
>From article <1990Sep11.003400.16632@lavaca.uh.edu>, by jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend):
>> In article <2138@wn1.sci.kun.nl> janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) writes:
>>>People in the Netherlands generally speak Dutch, not German. That language
>>>is spoken by our eastern neighbours.
>>
>> How recently did they become "neighbors"?  :-) (Referring to the U.S.
>> connotations that "neighbor" is someone friendly.)
>
>Interesting how words change meaning when they move to the US :-)
>Here it means the same as the German gentleman used it - the peole next
>door.

	It's a beautiful day in the day in the neighborhood...
	Will you be my neighbor?

	I'm sorry, I had to! 8)

(for those not familiar with Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, please
just ignore this 8)
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait;