[comp.sys.amiga] ADA on Amiga And Oxxi

davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) (09/08/90)

ALL:
  A friend tells me that ADA is being released for the
Commodore Amiga by Oxxi. Has anyone heard the details
about it yet? Or about their new program editor? M2
compiler also?

--
signature...I'll figure it out later. Freelance writer for hire!

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (09/08/90)

In article <6547@sugar.hackercorp.com> davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:

> ALL:
>   A friend tells me that ADA is being released for the
> Commodore Amiga by Oxxi. Has anyone heard the details
> about it yet? Or about their new program editor? M2
> compiler also?

I called Oxxi about this, but all I got was a receptionist.  I asked
the usual questions (are they looking for beta test sites for Ada,
etc.).  All she knew was that they are indeed "doing something with
Ada," but so far no one has returned my phone call with any more
substantive news.

By the way, the language name is "Ada," not "ADA".  "ADA" is an
acronym that stands for such organizations as "American Dental
Association," "Americans for Democratic Action," etc.

--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (John Richardson) (09/09/90)

         [CHOMP(<]

>>   A friend tells me that ADA is being released for the
>> Commodore Amiga by Oxxi. Has anyone heard the details
>> about it yet? Or about their new program editor? M2
>> compiler also?
>
>I called Oxxi about this, but all I got was a receptionist.  I asked
>the usual questions (are they looking for beta test sites for Ada,
>etc.).  All she knew was that they are indeed "doing something with
>Ada," but so far no one has returned my phone call with any more
>substantive news.

	I really hope this is true!

	Tasking would be *so* much easier in Ada.  My only problem is
	if Oxxi does publish Ada and SAS comes out with C++ 2.1 then
	I'm gonna have to make a CHOICE in what OOP language I buy!!!
	Wow! That would feel good!

			Here's to Amiga Ada!!!!

	Of course, by the time either/both of them are for sale I might
	be out of school and be able to afford BOTH!

< John Richardson            <  "I set the wheels in motion          <
> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu  >   turn on light and sound             >
< University of Lowell       <   activate the programs               <
> (just a student)           >   and watch the world go round..."    >
<                            <             --Neil Peart (RUSH)       <

davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:
>ALL:
>  A friend tells me that ADA is being released for the
>Commodore Amiga by Oxxi. Has anyone heard the details
>about it yet? Or about their new program editor? M2
>compiler also?

I bought my Modula-2 compiler through OXXI - stay away from them.

Ada for the Amiga sounds like a dream come true, but it OXXI is
involved, nightmare is more likely to be the result.

At a minimum, let everybody else go through the non-delivery, the
unanswered phone calls and letters, the unkept promises, until
they've proved that this time they're _not_ out to screw the
customers.

Like I've said before about shady business practices, the net
has a long memory and a wide reach.

Kent, the man from xanth.
The M2 compiler was finally provide _at shipping cost_ from
Avante Garde in Plano TX after OXXI refused to honor their
upgrade guarantee; nice people at A.G.

davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:
>ALL:
>  A friend tells me that ADA is being released for the
>Commodore Amiga by Oxxi. Has anyone heard the details
>about it yet? Or about their new program editor? M2
>compiler also?

I bought my Modula-2 compiler through OXXI - stay away from them.

Ada for the Amiga sounds like a dream come true, but if OXXI is
involved, nightmare is more likely to be the result.

At a minimum, let everybody else go through the non-delivery, the
unreturned phone calls and unanswered letters, the unkept promises,
until they've proved that this time they're _not_ out to screw the
customers with vaporware or shoddy merchandise.

Like I've said before about shady business practices, the net
has a long memory and a wide reach.  Especially the grouchy
parts of the net.

Kent, the man from xanth.
The M2 compiler was finally provided _at shipping cost_ from
Avante Garde Software in Plano, TX after OXXI refused to honor
their upgrade guarantee; nice people at A.G.S.

In article <1990Sep9.173108.16455@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>I bought my Modula-2 compiler through OXXI - stay away from them.
>
>Ada for the Amiga sounds like a dream come true, but it OXXI is
>involved, nightmare is more likely to be the result.
>At a minimum, let everybody else go through the non-delivery, the
>unanswered phone calls and letters, the unkept promises, until
>they've proved that this time they're _not_ out to screw the
>customers.

You fail to mention that there was a lawsuit between Oxxi and Avantgarde
involving rights to the M2 compiler (I won't go into the details of who
was right and who was wrong).  Bottom line is that Oxxi ended up agreeing to
release the rights to the M2 compiler back to AvantGarde and therefore was not
permitted to upgrade their old version with anything (they couldn't anyway
'cause AvantGarde never gave them an upgrade).

>Like I've said before about shady business practices, the net
>has a long memory and a wide reach.
>The M2 compiler was finally provide _at shipping cost_ from
>Avante Garde in Plano TX after OXXI refused to honor their
>upgrade guarantee; nice people at A.G.

As I said, Oxxi could not "physically" upgrade you, since they legally couldn't
do it.  My personal experience as developer with Oxxi is quite different.
They have always offered quite inexpensive upgrades/updates (updates where
$8, major upgrades $35).  I don't know from whom you got the idea of an upgrade
guarantee, but hardly any company has "free" upgrade guarantees, if that is
what you imply.  I have upgraded/updated A-Talk III at least 20 times since it
came out is Sept. 88, and Oxxi offered all of them promptly at a fair price
to current users.  If there have been problems, most have been due to the
rapid expansion Oxxi has had since it acquired Aegis, but I've heard from
end-users that most of the problems (concerning tech. support) have been
or are being solved.

Making bold statements like the ones you make concerning a single product
and generalizing to a company's entire line, especially without giving out
the details involved, is what I call misinformation.

Since we are on the "update" topic, let me mention that A-Talk III release 1.3c
versions, which include the "2.0 compatible" green stickers should be appearing
at the dealers soon, if they haven't already.  While AT-/// 1.3c has been out
since DevCon, we received the stickers only about a month ago, and that should
be enough time to trickle down from the Developer->Publisher->Distributor->
Dealer.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>I bought my Modula-2 compiler through OXXI - stay away from them.
>>
>>Ada for the Amiga sounds like a dream come true, but it OXXI is
>>involved, nightmare is more likely to be the result.
>>At a minimum, let everybody else go through the non-delivery, the
>>unanswered phone calls and letters, the unkept promises, until
>>they've proved that this time they're _not_ out to screw the
>>customers.
>
>You fail to mention that there was a lawsuit between Oxxi and Avantgarde
>involving rights to the M2 compiler (I won't go into the details of who
>was right and who was wrong).  Bottom line is that Oxxi ended up agreeing to
>release the rights to the M2 compiler back to AvantGarde and therefore was not
>permitted to upgrade their old version with anything (they couldn't anyway
>'cause AvantGarde never gave them an upgrade).

OXXI had the option of buying the upgrade from Avante Garde at commercial
rates and fulfilling their contract.  They chose to screw the users and
keep their money without providing the contracted product.  Sleezeball
business practices.

>>Like I've said before about shady business practices, the net
>>has a long memory and a wide reach.
>>The M2 compiler was finally provide _at shipping cost_ from
>>Avante Garde in Plano TX after OXXI refused to honor their
>>upgrade guarantee; nice people at A.G.

>As I said, Oxxi could not "physically" upgrade you, since they legally couldn't
>do it.

See above.

>My personal experience as developer with Oxxi is quite different.

And irrelevant, except that it lined your pockets and makes your
praise untrustworthy.

>They have always offered quite inexpensive upgrades/updates (updates where
>$8, major upgrades $35).  I don't know from whom you got the idea of an upgrade
>guarantee, but hardly any company has "free" upgrade guarantees, if that is
>what you imply.

If this goes on, I'll paw through my archives and repost the
original comp.sys.amiga ad and bore everyone even further.
The gist was simple: "our product is almost ready; send $199
+ s&h _now_, receive the beta, get the beta add on libraries
(normally $99 apiece) at no additional cost, and get the
finished product complete with release software and release
documentation when it is ready Real Soon Now."

Pretty obviously, a company strapped for cash on a project looking
for a way to keep a cash flow going and salaries paid until the
released product would bring in some more money.  Disadvantage to the
purchaser: money out now, and only a known undebugged product in
return.  Advantage to the purchaser: "free" optional libraries
and the full commercial version "eventually".  I sent the $207 or
so, and got the beta disks and docs.  They just refused to complete
the contract as written.

>Making bold statements like the ones you make concerning a single product
>and generalizing to a company's entire line, especially without giving out
>the details involved, is what I call misinformation.

Failing to keep contractual commitments, lying about delivery dates,
failing to make promised phone call returns, refusing to answer mail,
all "generalize to a company's entire line"; they are a standard of
conduct having nothing to do with a particular product, but with the
company, its management, and its attitude toward the customer.  What
you find "bold" in such statements baffles me.

What we can _glean_ from all this, children, is that if OXXI finds
itself in trouble again, it is the customer, not OXXI, who will do
the suffering.  I say it again.  Keep away from them.

No misinformation involved.  I still have the check dates, the
original USENet ad, the original order letter, and whatever else
you might require about "the details involved", but this grows
tedious and the point is already made.

Kent, the man from xanth.
Is it may imagination, or was OXXI also not too long ago the
home of a certain alpha release spreadsheet being passed off
as a commercial product?  Nah!  Not those salt of the earth
OXXI folk.  They wouldn't sell a product not ready for market,
and then alienate the developer and lose rights to the product
without every making good on their obligations to their
customers.  Not twice in a row.  Not as a company policy.  Not
at their customer's expense.

Right.

mikhe@ida.liu.se (Mike Henry) (09/10/90)

In article <1275@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (John Richardson) writes:
[ ...Stuff deleted... ]
>	Tasking would be *so* much easier in Ada.  My only problem is
>	if Oxxi does publish Ada and SAS comes out with C++ 2.1 then
>	I'm gonna have to make a CHOICE in what OOP language I buy!!!

Sorry, but if you want an OOP language you wouldn't want Ada. Yes, it does
have some encapsulation and yes, it does have some datahiding but that doesn't
make it an OOP language. The correct term would be an "Object Based
Programming Language". Therefore if you'd want a full fledged OOP language you
would probably be better of with C++, any day.

Even though Ada, in my view, forces you to program correctly (ie if you get
it though the compiler it usually works), it is extremly teadious to work
with and the mechanizms that it introduces is outdated in the OOP world. Ok, I
agree that an Amiga Ada compiler would help sell the machine to government
contractors and that is good but Ada as a programming language isn't a good
buy for anyone not forced to use it.

Let's hope we will see more OOP languages for the Amiga, how about Smalltalk,
Eifel, Self and others that more clearly implement the OOP paradigm than C++,
in the sense that together with the language you get a programming environment
that really makes OOP easy. I haven't seen ET++ on ANY machine and programming
environments for Ada are to say the least scarce.

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>< John Richardson            <  "I set the wheels in motion          <
>> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu  >   turn on light and sound             >
>< University of Lowell       <   activate the programs               <
>> (just a student)           >   and watch the world go round..."    >
><                            <             --Neil Peart (RUSH)       <
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

		-Mike
--
Mike Henry		INET : mikhe@ida.liu.se                         ///
Alsattersg. 3C:20                                                      ///

jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (John Richardson) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.085801.24717@ida.liu.se> mikhe@ida.liu.se (Mike Henry) writes:
>In article <1275@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (John Richardson) writes:
>>	Tasking would be *so* much easier in Ada.  My only problem is
      [...more stuff deleted...]
>>	I'm gonna have to make a CHOICE in what OOP language I buy!!!
>
>Sorry, but if you want an OOP language you wouldn't want Ada. Yes, it does
>have some encapsulation and yes, it does have some datahiding but that doesn't

I really don't think this is the place for a Ada vs. C++ flame war (not
really started yet but I can smell the fire).  Let's just say that the
more high level languages that the Amiga supports the better off the
machine is going to look to various programmers.  Especially if the languages
support some of the awesome Amiga OS features (read tasking).

If Oxxi does go ahead with the Ada project and the compiler generates good
code (not to many Ada compilers do) then we may get some US govt. projects
that would otherwise go off into the Big Blue sky.

By the way, I would really like to see a smalltalk for the Amiga too.

In article <1990Sep10.085801.24717@ida.liu.ce> mikhe@ida.liu.se (Mike Henri) writes:
>In article <1275@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (John Richardson) writes:
>>	Tasking would be *so* much easier in Ada.  My only problem is
      [...more stuff deleted...]
>>	I'm gonna have to make a CHOICE in what OOP language I buy!!!
>
>Sorry, but if you want an OOP language you wouldn't want Ada. Yes, it does
>have some encapsulation and yes, it does have some datahiding but that does.'t

I really don't think this is the place for a Ada vs. C++ flame war (not
really started yet but I can smell the fire).  Let's just say that the
more high level languages that the Amiga su`ports the better off the
machine is going to look to various pbogrammers.  Especially if the languages
support some of the awes/me Amiga OS features (read task)ng).

If Oxxi does go ahead with the Ada project and the compiler generates good
code (not to many Ada compilers do) then we may get some US govt. projects
that would otherwise go off into the Big Blue sky.

By the way, I would really like to see a smalltalk for the Amiga too.

< John Richardson            <  "I set the wheels in motion          <
> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu  >   turn on light and sound             >
< University of Lowell       <   activate the progbams               <

In article <1283@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (John Richardson) writes:
>If Oxxi does go ahead with the Ada project and the compiler generates good
>code (not to many Ada compilers do) then we may get some US govt. projects
>that would otherwise go off into the Big Blue sky.

To "juice up" the subject a little more, today I received my royalty check
from Oxxi in a brand new Oxxi letterhead, which lists all Oxxi's products.

One of the 28th products is listed as:

Amiga(R) Ada(R)

[(R) for registered trademark].

Enjoy.

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (09/12/90)

In article <27074@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <1283@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (John Richardson) writes:
>>If Oxxi does go ahead with the Ada project and the compiler generates good
>>code (not to many Ada compilers do) then we may get some US govt. projects
>>that would otherwise go off into the Big Blue sky.
>
>To "juice up" the subject a little more, today I received my royalty check
>from Oxxi in a brand new Oxxi letterhead, which lists all Oxxi's products.
>
>One of the 28th products is listed as:
>
>Amiga(R) Ada(R)
>
>[(R) for registered trademark].
>
>Enjoy.
>
>-- Marco

I hope that this is true, but I also note that Amiga(R) Ada(R) does not appear
on the September 1990 list of Ada compilers that have been validated by the
Ada Joint Program Office (AJPO).  For what its worth, there are presently 479
compilers on the September, 1990 list including entries for PC's (5 companies
for MS/PC-DOS compilers, one OS/2 compiler writing company, and 7 companies
writing Ada compilers for PC's running Unix, Xenix, etc), and for the Mac II
running A/UX (one company, Alsys), and the Mac II and Mac SE/30 running
system 6.0.3 (one company, Meridian).  Oxxi is not presently listed as an
Ada compiler vendor.

[Amiga is a registered trademark of Commodore-Amiga, Inc.  Ada is a registered
trademark of the U.S. Government, Ada Joint Program Office].

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (John Richardson) (09/12/90)

>I hope that this is true, but I also note that Amiga(R) Ada(R) does not appear
>on the September 1990 list of Ada compilers that have been validated by the
>Ada Joint Program Office (AJPO).  For what its worth, there are presently 479

[ %< ]

Weelll, doesn't Ada have to pass a battery of tests before it is consitered
an "Ada" by the U.S. Goverment (Ironman or something)?  If Oxxi is just
starting to work on the compiler maybe they haven't even submitted their
to-be product to the tests yet and thus, they are not on the list of
validated compilers.

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (09/13/90)

In article <1393@cs.nps.navy.mil> schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:

> In article <27074@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

> >To "juice up" the subject a little more, today I received my royalty check
> >from Oxxi in a brand new Oxxi letterhead, which lists all Oxxi's products.
> >
> >One of the 28th products is listed as:
> >
> >Amiga(R) Ada(R)
> >
> >[(R) for registered trademark].
> >

> [Amiga is a registered trademark of Commodore-Amiga, Inc.  Ada is a registered
> trademark of the U.S. Government, Ada Joint Program Office].

I'm pretty sure that "Ada" is no longer a registered trademark of the
U.S. AJPO.  They let the trademark lapse.