[comp.sys.amiga] Spreadsheet info requested

sheley@convex.com (John "Dumptruck" Sheley) (08/22/90)

  I am in the process of trying to find a decent spreadsheet to put on my
amiga.  Silly me, I thought that excel might exist for the amiga, but all I
could find was something called Superplan.  I looked over the packaging (but
wasn't able to get a demo), and was not greatly impressed by the list of
features.  Can someone tell me if my forst impression was wrong or not -
is this the greatest spreadsheet for the amiga?  Is this the only spreadsheet
for the amiga? I have heard that there is something called analyticalc on the
Fish disks - can anyone tell me how it compares to the commercial spreadsheets.
  Any help would be appreciated.  Thx, JTS

6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Dan Zerkle) (08/31/90)

In article <sheley.651260723@convex> sheley@convex.com (John "Dumptruck" Sheley) writes:
   amiga.  Silly me, I thought that excel might exist for the amiga, but all I
   could find was something called Superplan.  I looked over the packaging (but
   wasn't able to get a demo), and was not greatly impressed by the list of
   features.  Can someone tell me if my forst impression was wrong or not -
   is this the greatest spreadsheet for the amiga?  Is this the only spreadsheet

Well, a friend of mine is the Author of Advantage, a spreadsheet
published by Gold Disk.  It has just been released in its second
version.  He says that HIS spreadsheet is the greatest spreadsheet for
the Amiga.  Of course, he gets 15% of sales, so he has to say that.
It does have a nice list of features, and is reviewed (very briefly)
in the September issue of .info magazine (page 18).
--

Dan Zerkle 6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu 6600dan@ucsbuxa.bitnet (805) 968-4683
       Amiga....  Because life is too short for boring computers.

blgardne@suns.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (09/05/90)

6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>Well, a friend of mine is the Author of Advantage, a spreadsheet
>published by Gold Disk.  It has just been released in its second
>version.  He says that HIS spreadsheet is the greatest spreadsheet for
>the Amiga.  Of course, he gets 15% of sales, so he has to say that.
>It does have a nice list of features, and is reviewed (very briefly)
>in the September issue of .info magazine (page 18).

Hopefully the second version of Advantage can count! I'm one of the
suckers that paid good money to become an unsuspecting beta tester for
Advantage. Mostly it's a fairly good spreadsheet, but has the tiny
little flaw of trashing any number over 6 digits. For example, 123456 is
just fine, but 1234567 gets entered as something like 1234570. This is
not rounding of the display, but corruption of the data. It's amazing to
me that a bug of this magnitude could get past the author, publisher,
and every magazine review. (My faith in magazine reviews has dropped a
lot!)

I've been badgering Gold Disk for over a month now about a fix for this,
and they keep promising that the new disk will be sent out "today", but
I still don't have it.

One of my reasons for getting Advantage was that Gold Disk had a
reputation for good customer support (unlike whoever owns MaxiPlan /
Plan-IT at the moment), but so far I'm underwhelmed by their support for
Advantage.

Add another one to the list of potential customers for an Amiga version
of Excel or Wingz. Sigh.

Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g
{decwrl, utah-cs}!esunix!blgardne
DoD #0046                               The Borg killed Laura Palmer!

huebner@aerospace.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (09/06/90)

In article <2223@bambam.UUCP> blgardne@suns.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>One of my reasons for getting Advantage was that Gold Disk had a
>reputation for good customer support (unlike whoever owns MaxiPlan /
>Plan-IT at the moment), but so far I'm underwhelmed by their support for
>Advantage.
>
>Add another one to the list of potential customers for an Amiga version
>of Excel or Wingz. Sigh.

So why are we badgering the Prodigy people to port something we DON'T really
want when we should be spending our letter-writing hours trying to get an
ace spreadsheet ported over.  One of the main reasons I suggest AMAX to
people is so they can use something like EXCEL.  So does anyone have
addresses for EXCEL and (preferably) WINGZ?  It seems that since WINGZ is
made by a smaller company (smaller than Microsoft, anyway) they might be more
likely to listen to "reasonable" requests.

On another note, has anyone tried WINGZ on AMAX?  AMAX II?

+---									---+
Robert Huebner  (huebner@aerospace.aero.org)  The Aerospace Coporation
					      El Segundo, CA
+---									---+

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (09/07/90)

In article <2223@bambam.UUCP>, blgardne@suns.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> 6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>
> Hopefully the second version of Advantage can count! I'm one of the
> suckers that paid good money to become an unsuspecting beta tester for
> Advantage. Mostly it's a fairly good spreadsheet, but has the tiny
> little flaw of trashing any number over 6 digits. For example, 123456 is
> just fine, but 1234567 gets entered as something like 1234570. This is
> not rounding of the display, but corruption of the data. It's amazing to
> me that a bug of this magnitude could get past the author, publisher,
> and every magazine review. (My faith in magazine reviews has dropped a
> lot!)

I was also one of those fools who purchased Advantage without seeing it first,
and I was really disappointed with it. Except that 'rounding' bug, there is
several other 'unpleasant features' (like the need to use of CTRL qualifier
with arrow keys to be able to move cursor when editing the contents of
a cell; cell references always absolute with copy/paste; no way to save chart
definitions 'inside' the spredsheet to be used during next session; no zoom
option; the font used with x- and y- axe scales can not be customized; all text
removed when charts imported to PPage as structured graphics; no way to edit
macros 'manually'; etc etc...)

After a couple of weeks I abandoned Advantage and returned to use my MaxiPlan
Plus (v1.9). I really hope they keep the MaxiPlan alive and start to improve
it again ...

> I've been badgering Gold Disk for over a month now about a fix for this,
> and they keep promising that the new disk will be sent out "today", but
> I still don't have it.
>
> One of my reasons for getting Advantage was that Gold Disk had a
> reputation for good customer support (unlike whoever owns MaxiPlan /
> Plan-IT at the moment), but so far I'm underwhelmed by their support for
> Advantage.

Reputation for good customer support? I have been a registered user of
Professional Page for two years and I haven't get ANY support from Gold
Disk so far (Not a single issue of 'New Laser Times', no upgrade offers, no
special discounts on other products, no answer to my letters). But maybe I
just live too far from Mississauga to be worth of 'good customer support'...

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

kevint@hpsad.HP.COM (Kevin Taddeucci) (09/13/90)

/ hpsad:comp.sys.amiga / ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi /  1:54 pm  Sep  6, 1990 /
In article <2223@bambam.UUCP>, blgardne@suns.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> 6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>
> Hopefully the second version of Advantage can count!

     I to purchased the Advantage sight unseen on the companies reputation.
     When I called Gold Disk to report several bugs they send me a beta
     copy of the next version (1.01). I haven't spent much time with is
     yet but I am happy to report that the beta version can now count!
     In fact if I remember correctly the readme file says it can count
     internally to 18 digits and display up to 13 digits. In addition the
     documentation says the calculations are faster. I haven't had
     time to verify this yet.

I was also one of those fools who purchased Advantage without seeing it first,
and I was really disappointed with it. Except that 'rounding' bug, there is
several other 'unpleasant features' (like the need to use of CTRL qualifier
with arrow keys to be able to move cursor when editing the contents of
a cell; cell references always absolute with copy/paste; no way to save chart
definitions 'inside' the spredsheet to be used during next session; no zoom
option; the font used with x- and y- axe scales can not be customized; all text
removed when charts imported to PPage as structured graphics; no way to edit
macros 'manually'; etc etc...)

     In the beta version I received you no longer need to use the CTRL
     qualifier with the arrow keys when editing although you can start it
     with an option to do so.

     I believe relative cut and paste is now supported.

     Charts can now be saved with the spreadsheets although you must have
     them displayed when saving the spreadsheet and when the spreadsheet
     is loaded back in the charts appear full screen no matter what size
     they were when they were saved. (A minor irritant)

     Other improvements have also been made such as the addition of 36 new
     functions to provide better lotus 123 compatability, importing of
     .WKS and .WK1 files (still lose formating when loading in 123 files
     though), addition of 3 or 4 new arexx commands and a few more startup
     options are provided.

     I'm sure there is more but I can't remember off hand.

After a couple of weeks I abandoned Advantage and returned to use my MaxiPlan
Plus (v1.9). I really hope they keep the MaxiPlan alive and start to improve
it again ...

     I tried a demo version of MaxiPlan but it was to slow and buggy to be
     usable. Does v1.9 suffer from the same problems.

> I've been badgering Gold Disk for over a month now about a fix for this,
> and they keep promising that the new disk will be sent out "today", but
> I still don't have it.

     It took about 2.5 weeks for my beta version to arrive.

> One of my reasons for getting Advantage was that Gold Disk had a
> reputation for good customer support (unlike whoever owns MaxiPlan /
> Plan-IT at the moment), but so far I'm underwhelmed by their support for
> Advantage.

     Support was one of the reasons I purchased the Adjantage as well.
     Except for the fact that (in my opinion) version 1.0 was incomplete
     and should not have been released util it at least contained the
     improvements in the beta version. I am happy with the support I have
     received.

     By the way, it is my understanding that all registered owners of
     version 1.0 will receive the next version free. Give Gold Disk a call
     to ensure your on there list.

      | Kevin J. Taddeucci          | e-mail: kevint@hpsad.hp.com        |
      | ATE Software Supervisor     | HPDesk: Kevin TADDEUCCI /HP5300/A0 |
      | Telnet: 794-4192            | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                 |