[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 on a side rig?

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (TZENG, NIGEL) (08/29/90)

Hi!

With all the stuff hanging off the back end of my A2000 (pushing it forward) it
takes over almost the entire desk.  I was wondering the pros and cons over
putting the Ami on it's side and using it that way.  My HD is card mounted so I
am quite a bit wary of doing so even though there is this supporting rod there
that should keep the sucker from torquing the connector.

What does net.wisdom think?  Is putting the A2000 on its side a good idea or is
it likely to be an expensive experiment?  Please post as my user disk is dead
and I have no idea how the VMS mailer is going to deal with that...eat it
most likely.

Nigel Tzeng

PS For any thinking of doing this there was a little trick that I used in my
   last office that you might find useful:  Go to you friendly neigborhood
   K-Mart and try to find a cheap $5 skateboard.  Cover with a cloth and put
   your computer on it.  If you can arrange your desk to side against a wall or
   something (to make sure your computer doesn't tip over) you can save space
   and still get at the back of your machine with ease.

In <3262@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (TZENG, NIGEL) writes:
>Hi!
>
>With all the stuff hanging off the back end of my A2000 (pushing it forward) it
>takes over almost the entire desk.  I was wondering the pros and cons over
>putting the Ami on it's side and using it that way.

Pro: It's narrow
Con: It's tall

>  My HD is card mounted so I
>am quite a bit wary of doing so even though there is this supporting rod there
>that should keep the sucker from torquing the connector.

When you put it on end, try it without the cover and take a look at the HD and
card, to see if there is any 'sagging' and subsequent stress on the connector.
If not, it should be fine. Make sure that the HD on the card is in the UPRIGHT
position when the unit is stood on end, in case it is one that objects to
running upside down. (some object immediately, some only after a few weeks or
months)

>PS For any thinking of doing this there was a little trick that I used in my
>   last office that you might find useful:  Go to you friendly neigborhood
>   K-Mart and try to find a cheap $5 skateboard.  Cover with a cloth and put
>   your computer on it.  If you can arrange your desk to side against a wall or
>   something (to make sure your computer doesn't tip over) you can save space
>   and still get at the back of your machine with ease.

Neat idea!

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

In article <3262@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:

>  I was wondering the pros and cons over
>putting the Ami on it's side and using it that way.  My HD is card mounted so I
>am quite a bit wary of doing so even though there is this supporting rod there
>that should keep the sucker from torquing the connector.

My A2000 with a PC-side filecard worked flawlessly standing on the side
for nearly two years. As far as I know about harddisks, the only thing
to avoid absolutely is to mount them at some arbitrary angle, but all
90 degrees should do no harm. Though, I'm not completely sure, if they
like complete upside-down position, which can happen easily when the
drive is mounted sideways in the A2000 and you put your A2000 on the
other side.

That was done to conserve space on my desk. But now I use an even more
efficient way: Took some wood under the back and middle of the case to
lift it for ca. 7 cm. So I again have a sort of keyboard garage like in
the old days and I don't lose that many space between keyboard, the
long keyboard connector and the case. The keyboard just slips with the
last centimeters right under the A2000 case. In this way it again fits
on my desk and I also can put the monitor again on top of it, where I
only could place the A1010 before.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) (08/31/90)

Yes..it's perfectly safe. In fact, a mail order company is selling
A2500/30's in tower case on it's side.

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (08/31/90)

In article <349@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <3262@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>>
>>  I was wondering the pros and cons over
>>putting the Ami on it's side and using it that way.  My HD is card mounted so I
>>am quite a bit wary of doing so even though there is this supporting rod there
>>that should keep the sucker from torquing the connector.
>
>My A2000 with a PC-side filecard worked flawlessly standing on the side
>for nearly two years. As far as I know about harddisks, the only thing
>to avoid absolutely is to mount them at some arbitrary angle, but all
>90 degrees should do no harm. Though, I'm not completely sure, if they
>like complete upside-down position, which can happen easily when the
>drive is mounted sideways in the A2000 and you put your A2000 on the
>other side.

	All the people I know who have done this always recommend that you BACK-
UP your Hard Disk BEFORE you put the computer on it's side.  Then RE-FORMAT the
drive once it is in its final position.  Apparently most hard drives have just
enough play in the tolerances that putting them in a different position can
scramble your format.

	-- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %                                         %  mrush@csuchico.edu      %
    %                 My $.02                 %  mrush@cscihp.UUCP       %
    %                                                                    %
    %                              Coming Soon:  mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (09/01/90)

In article <349@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <3262@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>>
>>  I was wondering the pros and cons over
>>putting the Ami on it's side and using it that way.  My HD is card mounted so I
>>am quite a bit wary of doing so even though there is this supporting rod there
>>that should keep the sucker from torquing the connector.
>
>My A2000 with a PC-side filecard worked flawlessly standing on the side
>for nearly two years. As far as I know about harddisks, the only thing
>to avoid absolutely is to mount them at some arbitrary angle, but all
>90 degrees should do no harm. Though, I'm not completely sure, if they
>like complete upside-down position, which can happen easily when the
>drive is mounted sideways in the A2000 and you put your A2000 on the
>other side.

       All the people I know who have done this always recommend that you BACK-
UP your Hard Disk BEFORE you put the computer on it's side.  Then RE-FORMAT the
drive once it is in its final position.  Apparently most hard drives have just
enough play in the tolerances that putting them in a different position can
scramble your format.

       -- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %                                         %  mrush@csuchico.edu      %
    %                 My $.02                 %  mrush@cscihp.UUCP       %
    %                                                                    %
    %                              Coming Soon:  mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

a45@mindlink.UUCP (Ken Cooper) (09/05/90)

Hi Nigel. I've been using my A2000 on its' side for the past year. Zero
problems. To enjoy all the tools that I use, I've built a 4x8' table on wheels
that carries all this hardware. Being able to quickly pull this control center
from the wall and get behind to tackle the wires, is now a joy :)

So, as far as I can see, you shouldn't have any problems...

a45@mindlink.UUCP (Ken Cooper) (09/06/90)

Andy Finkel writes:

>But what I'd really like to know is who is using the A500 on its side ?  :-)

Well, my first guess would be those people who are 'off the wall'! :)

My second guess is that you are trying to do a survey. Hopefully the results
will indicate the need for a tower A3000 instead of the A500 :)

In <14237@cbmvax.commodore.com>, andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) writes:
>In article <3053@mindlink.UUCP> a45@mindlink.UUCP (Ken Cooper) writes:
>>Hi Nigel. I've been using my A2000 on its' side for the past year. Zero
>>problems. To enjoy all the tools that I use, I've built a 4x8' table on wheels
>
>But what I'd really like to know is who is using the A500 on its side ?  :-)

Only some Way Cool, laid back dudes on the west coast. :-)

-larry

--

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (09/06/90)

In article <3053@mindlink.UUCP> a45@mindlink.UUCP (Ken Cooper) writes:
>Hi Nigel. I've been using my A2000 on its' side for the past year. Zero
>problems. To enjoy all the tools that I use, I've built a 4x8' table on wheels

But what I'd really like to know is who is using the A500 on its side ?  :-)

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Usenet: A method for college students to demonstrate job qualifications
 and suitability to potential employers."

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (09/07/90)

In article <14237@cbmvax.commodore.com> andy@cbmvax (Andy Finkel) writes:
>But what I'd really like to know is who is using the A500 on its side ?  :-)
     I'd be, if one of those local Amiga dealers would ever get back to me
on that price quote for a new A500 case. I want to detatch my system's keyboard
and get the rest out of the way, y'know?
                                                      - R'ykandar.

--
R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT Science and Fiction
"They've got to sing 'The Time Warp' to WHAT?!?!" - Kermit, in TRHMS.

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (09/07/90)

In article <14237@cbmvax.commodore.com>, andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) writes...
^In article <3053@mindlink.UUCP> a45@mindlink.UUCP (Ken Cooper) writes:
^>Hi Nigel. I've been using my A2000 on its' side for the past year. Zero
^>problems. To enjoy all the tools that I use, I've built a 4x8' table on wheels
^
^
^But what I'd really like to know is who is using the A500 on its side ?  :-)
^

Actually I did for about 2 days...I had a slide show running with VoRecOne and
no space on the cart the the A500 in a flat position.. ;-).

With a mouse, a joystick and a voice recognizer who need a bloody keyboard...

Nigel

^		andy
^--
^andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
^Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
^
^"Usenet: A method for college students to demonstrate job qualifications
^ and suitability to potential employers."
^
^Any expressed opinions are mine; but feel free to share.
^I disclaim all responsibilities, all shapes, all sizes, all colors.

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

GDBL1AF@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (09/08/90)

Andy Finkel wanted to know who uses an a500 on its side ?
I did even worse, I used my a500 on it's BACK for about 6 months.
(yes, I did have to get the keyboard out to do so 8^) I did this
-until I found an apropriate case for the A500 motherboard-
to prevent too much dust falling in. Never had a problem with it...

                                                   Ives
                                        GDAL3AA at BLEKUL11.BITNET

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (09/08/90)

When I first got my 2000 I asked the dealer about running it on it's
side.  He said that there would be no problem, but that I would need
to re-prep the 100Meg Quantum since the drive would (due to slight
play in head linkages) be out of alignment on it's side.  Well I tried
it without re-prepping the Quantum, and soon started to have rapidly
more frequent read errors on the drive.  I broke down and re-prepped
the drive, and have been running now for months with no problems.

Patrick Horgan                    phorgan@cup.portal.com

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (09/09/90)

In article <14237@cbmvax.commodore.com>, andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) writes:
> In article <3053@mindlink.UUCP> a45@mindlink.UUCP (Ken Cooper) writes:
>>Hi Nigel. I've been using my A2000 on its' side for the past year. Zero
>>problems. To enjoy all the tools that I use, I've built a 4x8' table on wheels
>

> But what I'd really like to know is who is using the A500 on its side ?  :-)
>
> 		andy
> --

AHH. The opportunity I was waiting for. Anouncing...

		THE TOWER AMIGA FIVE HUNDRED

Are you sick and tired of having your pc take up 2 square yards of your
desk space? Are you tired and sick of having a tangle of wires claim the
spot you just love to put your cup of coffee? YES! Your prayers have been
answered: The Tower Amiga 500.

		ONLY $50 (plus postage and handling)

Now and for ever, you can reclaim that lost desk space. Learn to live
again! The only requirement for The Tower Amiga 500 is that your desk
is situated near a wall. The Tower Amiga 500 kit comes complete with
4 three inch galvanised nails for timber walls, a single self tapping
masonry bolt for brick, stone and concrete walls, and a large tube
of super glue for those absolutely inpenetratable nuclear fallout
bomb shelter walls. Complete with instructions a child could follow,
your The Tower Amiga 500 kit is absolutely guaranteed to increase your
leisure time, quieten the kids and delight the mother. Even something
for Rover! Order you The Tower Amiga 500 _NOW_!!

		Bodgy Kits Inarcerated,
		3/15 Chastity Way,
		PA 456831,
		USA

ma23+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marcus Augustus Alzona) (09/09/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.amiga: 6-Sep-90 Re: A2000 on a side rig?
> Andy Finkel@cbmvax.commo (626)

> In article <3053@mindlink.UUCP> a45@mindlink.UUCP (Ken Cooper) writes:
> >Hi Nigel. I've been using my A2000 on its' side for the past year. Zero
> >problems. To enjoy all the tools that I use, I've built a 4x8' table on
> wheels

> But what I'd really like to know is who is using the A500 on its side ?
> :-)

> 		andy
> --
> andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
> Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

> "Usenet: A method for college students to demonstrate job qualifications
>  and suitability to potential employers."

> Any expressed opinions are mine; but feel free to share.
> I disclaim all responsibilities, all shapes, all sizes, all colors.

Believe it or not, I actually do have my A500 set up this way.....

Marcus Caesar Augustus Alexander Laurence Hamelin Alzona
<ma23+@andrew.cmu.edu>		      "Bo knows Unix?!?"

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and
finds himself no wiser than before," Bokonon tells us.  "He is full of
murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by
their ignorance the hard way."
		-- Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"

kinks@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Karl E Aldinger) (09/13/90)

In article <14237@cbmvax.commodore.com> andy@cbmvax (Andy Finkel) writes:

>But what I'd really like to know is who is using the A500 on its side ?  :-)
>
>		andy

Last Christmas break, I sawed my 500 case in half.  I built a wooden case for
the motherboard, 500 power supply, an additional PC power supply, hard drive,
and Metafour board.  (I did this to encapsulate the guts of my Amiga, cause
like the hermit crab, he outgrew his shell).  I mounted the keyboard back
in the half of plastic case and put a 12 ft. cord on it.  I mounted it on its
side for several months (my Seagate now sideways) without problem.  However,
my hard drive died of repeated read/write errors (even after repeated refor-
matting) as soon as I put the Seagate right-side-up again.  My dealer/boss
helped me get a new drive (it was within warranty) and it has worked almost
perfectly since.  I think that it may be important to use the drive only in
one position, during its lifetime 8:)

						Karl Aldinger