[comp.sys.amiga] Misunderstanding about my q. CrossDos

In <45708@cornell.UUCP>, johnhlee@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Johnny H. Lee) writes:

>Also, the Amiga does not have GCR encoding support in hardware.  GCR encoding
>must be done by software (as is MFM, FM, RLL or any other encoding scheme.)
>It is because of the simplicity of the Amiga's disk controller w.r.t. raw
>disk bits that gives it its flexibility (software reads from and writes to
>the chip a stream of raw disk bits.)

Since we are picking nits, I'll pick this one. The Amiga does indeed have
hardware support for GCR in at least one way. See page 243 of the Hardware
Reference Manual, where you set Precomp for MFM or GCR. Agreed that the actual
encoding/decoding needs to be done in software.

>Other than that, I agree with everything Lupe said.

Other than that, I agree with everything Johnny said.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

In <49392@olivea.atc.olivetti.com>, borzieri@king.ICO.Olivetti.Com (Ivan Borzieri) writes:
>							Ivrea, 09/12/90
>
>I am here again (hoping not to bore you !)
>
>I found "msh" on abcdf20, but maybe I did not explain myself in the
>right way .
>
>I was looking for something running on a PC, not on the Amiga !

You are already running something on your PC at work. It's called MsDos.

>That's because I have got the Amiga at home, not connected to the net,
>so I ftp from here at work, using a PC .
>
>But how can I transfer the files from PC's floppy to Amiga's floppy ?

You put them on your disks with the PC at work, and take them home. You then
put them in the drive on your PC at home (Amiga), and use MSH to read them.

-larry

--

borzieri@king.ICO.Olivetti.Com (Ivan Borzieri) (09/12/90)

							Ivrea, 09/12/90

I am here again (hoping not to bore you !)

I found "msh" on abcdf20, but maybe I did not explain myself in the
right way .

I was looking for something running on a PC, not on the Amiga !

That's because I have got the Amiga at home, not connected to the net,
so I ftp from here at work, using a PC .

But how can I transfer the files from PC's floppy to Amiga's floppy ?

		1 - I can't bring the Amiga here at work !
		2 - I don't own a modem .
		3 - I don't want to buy CrossDos !

so, I thought "maybe there's a program like CrossDos running on a PC ...",
even if I don't believe it to be true .

If you know about such a program, please HELP !
							Ivan Borzieri

lupe@alanya.Germany.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) (09/12/90)

borzieri@king.ICO.Olivetti.Com (Ivan Borzieri) writes:

>I found "msh" on abcdf20, but maybe I did not explain myself in the
>right way .

>I was looking for something running on a PC, not on the Amiga !
Can't. Most floppy controllers in this world use MFM coding. Commodore
has used GCR on the 64, and Commodore-Amiga is using it on the Amiga.

The Amiga floppy hardware is more flexible than the regular integrated
floppy controllers. It can read/write *any* encoding (at least, MFM).
The issue is that the Amiga has support hardware to encode/decode GCR,
but not MFM. But MFM coding/decoding can be done in software, so it's
just slower.

PC floppy controllers lack this kind of capability.

This means that you can only use MFM-formatted floppies for transportation.
For you, this is native PC floppy format. Please note that the only difference
you get from using Amiga floppies as transport media is the higher capacity.
I have done this a lot, and I can tell you that sometimes it's a pain
in the you-know-where to have to split one fish disk into two PC floppies.

>That's because I have got the Amiga at home, not connected to the net,
>so I ftp from here at work, using a PC .

>But how can I transfer the files from PC's floppy to Amiga's floppy ?

>		1 - I can't bring the Amiga here at work !
I bet, you're just too lazy ;-)

>		2 - I don't own a modem .
Much to expensive, anyway. It takes too long to transfer a single
floppy's content, even if you have a really fast (expensive) modem
like the Trailblazer.

>		3 - I don't want to buy CrossDos !
Do it. But buy from the people in the States. It's *much* cheaper.

>so, I thought "maybe there's a program like CrossDos running on a PC ...",
>even if I don't believe it to be true .
Can't be (see above).

>If you know about such a program, please HELP !
I'm aware of three programs that enable the Amiga to use PC floppies.
These are DOS-2-DOS, CrossDOS, and MSH. I own DOS-2-DOS, and I tried
the two others. I like CrossDOS best. MSH is free, if I remember correctly,
and CrossDOS $30~$40, in the US of A.

--
| lchristoph@Sun.COM     (Internet)              | 		Disclaimer: |
| ...!unido!sunmuc!lupe  (German EUNet, "bang")  | 	  My employer has a |

janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) (09/12/90)

In article <49392@olivea.atc.olivetti.com> borzieri@king.ICO.Olivetti.Com (Ivan Borzieri) writes:
>							Ivrea, 09/12/90
>I am here again (hoping not to bore you !)
>I found "msh" on abcdf20, but maybe I did not explain myself in the
>right way .

Well, you already got the solution to your problem. It is just
a bit simpler than you thought!

>I was looking for something running on a PC, not on the Amiga !
>That's because I have got the Amiga at home, not connected to the net,
>so I ftp from here at work, using a PC .
>But how can I transfer the files from PC's floppy to Amiga's floppy ?
>		1 - I can't bring the Amiga here at work !
>		2 - I don't own a modem .
>		3 - I don't want to buy CrossDos !

There is no need to run anything on a PC. You simply format a disk on
your Amiga at home using MessyFmt (included with MSH:), take it to your
work (or you can format a disk on the PC at your work), put your files
on it with the PC, go home again, and use the disk with MSH:. Then you
can copy them to regular Amiga-style floppies, if you like.

>so, I thought "maybe there's a program like CrossDos running on a PC ...",
>even if I don't believe it to be true .
>If you know about such a program, please HELP !

Such a program cannot exist, since Amiga style floppies are written
a whole track at a time, and the disk controller in a PC only writes
sectors. And the Amiga's MFM encoding scheme works slightly different.

--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                           via janhen@sci.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg

johnhlee@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Johnny H. Lee) (09/12/90)

In article <lupe.653137533@alanya> lupe@alanya.Germany.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) writes:
>Can't. Most floppy controllers in this world use MFM coding. Commodore
>has used GCR on the 64, and Commodore-Amiga is using it on the Amiga.
>
>The Amiga floppy hardware is more flexible than the regular integrated
>floppy controllers. It can read/write *any* encoding (at least, MFM).
>The issue is that the Amiga has support hardware to encode/decode GCR,
>but not MFM. But MFM coding/decoding can be done in software, so it's
>just slower.

Er, just to point something out here, the AmigaDOS disk format v1.0  (not
AmigaDOS 1.0) does *not* use GCR.  It is MFM, only that the data bits are
stored in a stream of the odd bits followed by the even bits (or is it the
other way around?)  That is, a chunk with the odd bits of the data are stored
first followed by with a chunk with the even bits of the data.  Although the
organization of the bits of the data is not the same as on the PC's (i.e.,
contiguous 8 bit bytes,) the bit are indeed stored on the disk using MFM
encoding.

Also, the Amiga does not have GCR encoding support in hardware.  GCR encoding
must be done by software (as is MFM, FM, RLL or any other encoding scheme.)
It is because of the simplicity of the Amiga's disk controller w.r.t. raw
disk bits that gives it its flexibility (software reads from and writes to
the chip a stream of raw disk bits.)

Other than that, I agree with everything Lupe said.

Will Ada overload the ship?  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/13/90)

borzieri@king.ICO.Olivetti.Com (Ivan Borzieri) writes:

> 							Ivrea, 09/12/90
>
> I am here again (hoping not to bore you !)
>
> I found "msh" on abcdf20, but maybe I did not explain myself in the
> right way .
>
> I was looking for something running on a PC, not on the Amiga !
>
> That's because I have got the Amiga at home, not connected to the net,
> so I ftp from here at work, using a PC .
>
> But how can I transfer the files from PC's floppy to Amiga's floppy ?
>
> 		1 - I can't bring the Amiga here at work !
> 		2 - I don't own a modem .
> 		3 - I don't want to buy CrossDos !
>
> so, I thought "maybe there's a program like CrossDos running on a PC ...",
> even if I don't believe it to be true .
>
> If you know about such a program, please HELP !
> 							Ivan Borzieri

As far as I know, nope. The PC's aren't capable of handling Amiga disks
anyway. You could ask a local BBS sysop if you could have a private
access section that you could use for this purpose.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu