[comp.sys.amiga] MRCserv annoucement / update notice

rmf@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA ) (Russell M. Forster <RMF@Janus.MtRoyal.AB. CA>) (09/12/90)

        Here is the fairly regular posting announcing MRCserv
        to the world.  Last updated Sept 11, 1990.

        /Russ
-----
Russell M. Forster,  Systems Programmer.   RMF @ Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA
Mount Royal College; Computer Operations;  4825 Richard Rd. S.W.
Calgary, Alberta;    (403) 240-6052

        Announcing MRCserv, a mailserver based at Mount Royal College.

        MRCserv is a MAIL ONLY based server.  Mount Royal is not on
        the Internet so FTP access is not supported.  Anonymous UUCP
        is also not supported.

        All commands to the server must be in the BODY of the message.
        The subject line is ignored.

        The address of the server is MRCserv@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA

        Mount Royal College is in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  Our time
        zone is MST.  Please try and restrict your archive access to
        non-prime hours (primetime is 07:00 - 17:00).

        MRCserv is currenly in ALPHA test.  If you experence any problems
        please send e-mail to RMF@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA

        Severial new commands have been added since the last posting, they
        include:

        PARTSIZE  -   Size of the parts MRCserv sends out to you,
                      Default is 100 VMS disk blocks, which is approximately
                      750 lines.  (750 * 64 char/line = 48K char/part)

        VIEW      -   Allows you to view to contents of an ARC, LHARC, or ZOO
                      archive.  (Lets see you do that with FTP :-)

        GET has been changed to allow you to for UUencoding.  Some mail
        gateways convert TABs and such that change file formatting.
        Forceing an 'encode preserves these characters.  A sample command
        might look like:  GET [AMIGA.SOURCES]V90I120.SHAR UUENCODE

        Enjoy!

        Here is the updated HELP message.

    MRCserv - Mount Royal College Mail Server       Last updated:  11-Sep-90
    -----------------------------------------       ------------------------
    Commands:
        CD        -   change working directory
        DIR       -   list a directory
        DIR -d    -   list subdirectories only
        DIR -s nn -   list files added to archive in the last 'nn' days
        EXIT      -   finishes request
        GET       -   sends you one or more files
                      Adding the qualifer UUENCODE to the end of the GET command

                      will force the file to be uuencoded.  This is good for
                      long lines in source code.
                        ie GET [SOURCES]V90I120.SHAR UUENCODE
        HELP      -   sends you this help
        LS        -   briefly list a directory
        LS -d     -   briefly subdirectories only
                      an optional parameter of 'directory specification
                      can be added (ie dir -s 07 )
        LS -s nn  -   briefly list files added in last 'nn' days
        OS        -   Specify OS to work with (currently AMIGA or VMS).
|                     The OS command is no longer needed and is supplied
|                     for compatibility purposes only.
        PATH      -   Path from MRCserv to you.  (if your using "!" paths make
                      the address end with a .UUCP domain ie.  foo!bar.uucp)
        PARTSIZE  -   Size of the parts MRCserv sends out to you,
!                     Default is 100 VMS disk blocks, which is approximately
!                     750 lines.  (750 * 64 char/line = 48K char/part)
        PUT       -   Put a file in the archive. (must be validated first).
                      Not implemented yet.
        VIEW      -   Allows you to view to contents of an ARC, LHARC, or ZOO
                      archive.

    Extensions:
        ZOO     - ZOO file      ZUU     - UUencoded ZOO file
        ARC     - ARC file      AUU     - UUencoded ARC file
        LZH     - LHARC file    LUU     - UUencoded LHARC file
        LHW     - LhWarp file   DIR     - VMS directory file
        WRP     - Warp file     UUE     - UUencoded executable
        ABC     - ABasiC file

|   The OS command is more trouble then its worth.  I've decided to
|   get rid of it.  MRCserv now more closely resembles FTP type rooted
|   directory trees. The OS command is still supported.

    Wildcards and directory specifications are allowable with DIR and GET
    commands.  These follow standard VMS wildcard rules.

|    ** Wildcarding for GET is broken at the moment. **

    Subdirectories can be accessed via the CD command.  For example, if
    you see a file with the extension .DIR (ie ARCHIVERS.DIR), CD to
    it by issuing the command CD [ARCHIVERS] (case insensitive, brackets are
    not required).  To move to the parent directory issue the command CD [-]
    (Brackets are required) To move to the root directory issue command
    CD [000000]

    Binary files (ZOO/ARC/LZH/EXE) will be uuencoded before being sent.

    Files larger than 100 VMS disk blocks will be sent in multiple parts.
    You will be informed of the number of parts in the server's response.
    You can change the 'split factor' with the PARTSIZE command.

    All files will be sent as separate messages (except HELP and DIR).

    You may only transfer 5000 VMS disk blocks during any one session.

    In the reply sent by MRCserv, your commands are preceded by a less-than
    sign "<".  MRCserv responses are preceded by a greater-than sign ">".

    MRCserv now places the request number in the 'personal name' header
    item, ie.  'FROM:  (MRCserv request 123) <mrcserv@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca>'
    The request number is displayed in the response file so you should now
    be able to figure out where those INDEX.LIS files are comming from.

    Original code written by Henry Bland - Henry@Daffy.FhHosp.AB.CA
    Modified and maintained by Russ Forster - RMF@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (09/13/90)

In article <900911130202.24003a21@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA> rmf@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA ) (Russell M. Forster <RMF@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.        CA>) writes:
>         Announcing MRCserv, a mailserver based at Mount Royal College.
>         Severial new commands have been added since the last posting, they
>         include:
>
>         VIEW      -   Allows you to view to contents of an ARC, LHARC, or ZOO
>                       archive.  (Lets see you do that with FTP :-)

Oh!  A CHALLENGE!!

I've added this feature to the FTP server on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov,
and included support for .tar and .tar.Z files.  It's bound to the
STAT command.  From most UNIX ftp clients, you can now do something
like this:

ftp> cd /incoming/amiga
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> quote stat zzzedit.lzh
213-Contents of `zzzedit.lzh':

    SIZE  RATIO     STAMP    NAME
 ------- ------ ------------ --------------------
     164  28.6% Jun 28 19:13 SleepySprite
    1441  54.4% Jun 28 19:51 ReadMe
     275  44.3% Jun 28 19:53 Sleepy.info
    1844  96.3% Jun 28 19:27 Sleepy
     265  30.1% Jun 28 19:10 aa.txt.displayme
    2578  18.6% Jun 28 19:53 ReadMe.info
    3780  95.7% Jun 28 19:10 EditSleepy
    3664  48.3% Jun 28 19:10 sleepy.doc
    4234  12.2% Jun 28 19:53 EditSleepy.info
    2578  18.6% Jun 28 19:53 Sleepy.Doc.info
 ------- ------ ------------ --------------------
   20823  46.4% Jul 22 03:32   10 files

213 Contents of `zzzedit.lzh' completed.
ftp>

HA!
	...tad

pmorris@bbn.com (Phil Morris) (09/13/90)

>From: Tad Guy <tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov>
>Subject: Re: MRCserv annoucement / update notice
>Date: 12 Sep 90 23:54:13 GMT
>To:       amiga-relay@udel.edu
>
>>         VIEW      -   Allows you to view to contents of an ARC, LHARC, or ZOO
>>                       archive.  (Lets see you do that with FTP :-)
>
>Oh!  A CHALLENGE!!
>
>I've added this feature to the FTP server on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov,
>and included support for .tar and .tar.Z files.  It's bound to the
>STAT command.
[...]
>HA!
>	...tad

Go Tad, go!  Yeah team.

-Phil
--------
Phil Morris (pmorris@dgi0.bbn.com)
Disclaimer: ME? I'm only a non-smoking cat; can't believe a word I meow.