[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Ads

From: hrlaser (Harv Laser, Torrance, CA)  Mon, 7 Sep 87 22:07:00 PDT
Subject: CBM's fall Amiga ad campaign details

Reposted from PeopleLink's AmigaZone with permission (I gave myself the
permission :-)

---------------
----
AMIGA ZONE       Sec: 2
Theme: CBM FALL ADVERTISING
To:    ALL             By:  G KINSEY
Date:   9/04/87 21:09  Num: 14,649
Title: FALL  TV-MAG AND COMDEX SCHEDULE
----

For those of you who weren't on confernce Sunday night, here's the
info about Commodore's Amiga 500 advertising campaign for Sept-Dec 1987.
Here's the Magazine, TV and Fall Comdex promotion schedule for Sept-Dec for
1987:

               SEPT         OCT              NOV                  DEC
WEEK OF:        28     5  12  19  26     2  9  16  23  30    7  14  21  28

SPOT TV!!!      X         X   X   X            X   X   X     X

Local Newpapers               X   X                X         X

USA Today       X

Newsweeklies:
  People                                 X
  Newsweek                               X                   X
  Sports Illus.                          X                   X

Monthlies:
  Life                                   X--------------X
  Omni                                                       X-----------X

General and
Special Interest:
  Consumer's Digest                      X--------------X    X-----------X
  Commodore                              X--------------X    X-----------X
  Compute                                X--------------X    X-----------X
  Compute's Gazette                      X--------------X    X-----------X
  High Fidelity                          X--------------X    X-----------X

***FALL COMDEX Support***

Trade Publications:
  Comdex Show Daily                      X
  Computer Software News                 X
  Computer Dealer                        X  X  X   X
  Computer Reseller News                 X
  Computer Systems News                  X
  PC Week                                X
  Infoworld                              X

Outdoor:
 5 Billboards                            X  X

California In Flights:
Pacific Southwest Airline (PSA)          X--------------X
Southwest Airlines-Spirit                X--------------X

     This info came directly from a package that my local dealer had
recieved. The Magazine and TV ads are Amiga-500 specific, but the Comdex
stuff does not say such. Also, I have seen a set of storyboards for the
REAL Amiga 500 commercial. This commercial definitely drives home the fact
that "Amiga = Computer". And, Commodore will have a 1-800 number displayed
at the end of the commercial! Commodore will also be sending each dealer 10
video tapes which are promo tapes for the 500.
     Also, for all you Bostonians, expect to start hearing Amiga radio
commercials on Kiss 108 starting later this month. I heard the tape, and it
sounded REAL GOOD!
     Graham  (Kinsey)

nb: Graham writes a regular column in Commodore Magazine about Amiga
public domain software

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (10/27/89)

Bill Allen <ba@m2-net.uucp> writes:

> I would have liked to have seen far fewer celebrities and far
> more info about the Amiga.  If you were hearing the word "Amiga" for
> the 1st time while watching those ads, would
> you really know much more about the machine than you knew
> originally?

But the question is "Would a potential buyer *WANT* to know much more
about the machine than (s)he knew originally?"  If so, then the ads
are a success.

Let's remember that there is no way to cram "The Amiga Companion" (hope
Rob doesn't mind) into a 60 second ad.  The ad is just there to build a
bit of interest.  The dealers have the responsibility explaining and
selling the product. (And *HOW* I wish we had a local dealer in the
area!)

   --- Cal

   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>   or
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
  NW Florida's first Amiga BBS running on NW Florida's FIRST AMIGA!

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (10/27/89)

In article <2658@nigel.udel.EDU> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>Let's remember that there is no way to cram "The Amiga Companion" (hope
>Rob doesn't mind) into a 60 second ad.  The ad is just there to build a
>bit of interest.  The dealers have the responsibility explaining and
>selling the product. (And *HOW* I wish we had a local dealer in the
>area!)

I am sure this is C='s desire.  But where are the interested viewers supposed
to find a dealer.  The ads were not that interesting that a viewer would go
hunting through the phone book of every nearby city to find one that carries
Amigas.

I don't know how many have heard of Polk Audio speakers.  There the best (IMHO)
but are lucky to have one dealer in St. Louis and only two in Detroit.  This
was not a problem for me to find a place to demo them and buy.  Why, because
every ad in the magazines included a list of dealers.  I looked up the city
I was in and went to the store.  Period.  No hassle.

My point!  C= still does not have a big enough dealer network to expect Mr.
Joe or Mz. Jane Ordinary to see an ad and know were to get more information.
Commodore should have a 24 hour HotLine set up at least till christmas were
anyone can call and get the name, address, and phone numbers of the nearest
dealers.  The phone number of this hotline should be in big bold numbers at
the end of every TV ad and in every print ad.

>   --- Cal

Oh well, time to stop preaching.  I doubt if this suggestion will even make it
to the people doing the advertisement campaign.
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (10/28/89)

In article <4365@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
:
:My point!  C= still does not have a big enough dealer network to expect Mr.
:Joe or Mz. Jane Ordinary to see an ad and know were to get more information.
:Commodore should have a 24 hour HotLine set up at least till christmas were
:anyone can call and get the name, address, and phone numbers of the nearest
:dealers.  The phone number of this hotline should be in big bold numbers at
:the end of every TV ad and in every print ad.
:
:Oh well, time to stop preaching.  I doubt if this suggestion will even make it
:to the people doing the advertisement campaign.
:--
:---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
:                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.
:UseNet Path: __!mailrus!sharkey!itivax!abaa!esker  ==  esker@abaa.UUCP

I don't know if it is a special 24hour Hotline, but 3 of the 7 ad pages in
Time magazine include "Why not give us a call at 800-627-9595."

I just hope there's someone at their end that knows what to say and do-
unlike customer "service."  (OK - so I've had some bad experiences)

Joel

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (10/28/89)

In article <1891@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> Joel Swan writes:
>I don't know if it is a special 24hour Hotline, but 3 of the 7 ad pages in
>Time magazine include "Why not give us a call at 800-627-9595."

>I just hope there's someone at their end that knows what to say and do-
>unlike customer "service."  (OK - so I've had some bad experiences)

Reading the above, I picked up the phone and called the 800 number.  This was
at 3:30AM Pacific time, or 6:30AM Eastern, on Saturday morning.  The call was
answered promptly by a pleasant lady who offered to send me brochures on the
A500, A2000 or both.  When asking for my address she requested the ZIP code
before the city, then supplied the city and telephone area code for me so that
I only had to give the local part of my telephone number.  (What they may have
wanted my number for is another question, but I'm not going to worry about
it).  She then named the 4 nearest dealers, 3 of which were definitely
correct; the 4th may have been farther away than HT Electronics in Sunnyvale,
but I'm not sure.  I did not make any attempt to ask her any questions about
the products themselves.

All in all, I would rate it an above-average "800" product information line.
If there's any interest I will summarize the materials I receive from them
when they arrive.  (I expect them to be along the same lines as the ads and
the brochures you can now get in the stores; I >hope< for more, since in most
cases it will be the ads/brochures that got people to call, and they'd be
disappointed to get just another copy of what interested them in the first
place).

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]
R Pentomino    *   \X/    Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 & XBBS +408-476-4945

CSD29_R3%UNO.BITNET@vm.tcs.tulane.edu (10/30/89)

>>27-Oct-89  uucp%"esker@abaa.uuc" writes;
>>  Commodore should have a hotline setup until Christmas.

   Commodore (I here) does have such a hotline set up.  I don't know the
number, but it does exist.
   I doubt, though, that putting such a number at the end of every TV ad would
be enough.  The ads, in my opinion, seem to show off the celeberties more than
they show off the Amiga.  Notice that when IBM used Jammie Farr, from MASH in
their ads, the ad still centered around the IBM PC.  Jammie actually sounded
like he knew what he was talking about.  In the Commodore ads, on the other
hand, it looks more like they are showing off the Pointer Sisters, La Sorda,
and Stevie.  NOTE:  I recall the Sisters wanting advice from Stevie, not
Stevie AND his Amiga.  And, when Stevie is shown, he's just there pecking
away at the mouse and keyboard, but he's not telling anybody why they should
use the Amiga (well maybe the announcer does, but if you're going to have
somebody using something in an ad, they should be the ones doing the explaining.
  In conclusion, there IS a hotline, and it's great to see C= advertising
again, but the efforts could have been alot better for the amount of money
spent.  They could've used more substance and less celeberties.

     //
    //
 \\//
  \/CSD29_R3@UNO    David Vazquez.

wally@pallas.UUCP (Wally Hartshorn) (11/06/89)

that concentrated 100% on the machines and the software that ran on them --
no voice-overs, no actors, nothing, just a montage of whizbang graphics and
fabulous sound, building to a climax, and followed by a fade-to-black with
the words "Only Amiga makes it possible".  Those were *EXTREMELY* effective
commercials that just grabbed the viewer's attention, held it in an iron
grip throughout the ad, and then shoved him/her out the door to buy the
machine.  They received standing ovations at the developers' conference, I
am told, but Commodore never ran them.  Why not?  Even today, I think they
would be excellent ads -- all of the production cost is already paid for,
all they need to do is pay for the air time.  Or, better yet, update the
images with the more modern stuff, which could be done *VERY* cheaply (no
need to pay celebs) and run the revamped programs.  At the very least they
should show the things at Comdex, rather than showing some singer trying to
make a song out of their ad slogan.

Oh well, at least they're showing something!

Wally (uunet!pallas!wally)

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (11/06/89)

In article <211@pallas.UUCP> Wally Hartshorn writes:
[why not use old ads that were very effective but were never run (due to
budgetary crunch?) or update them with current Amiga offerings?]

I agree.

Why not go even further?  I hardly ever watch TV, but some of my friends who
do are starting to complain about seeing >too many< Amiga ads -- because
they are the same 4 ads, over and over.  See them enough times and they get
just as annoying as detergent ads.

Why not run more diverse ads?  A couple of dozen different ads, say?
"Production costs", you say -- but isn't the Amiga the acknowledged king of
low-budget video production?  Many studios are using them.  Many Amiga users
are fanatics who would be glad to donate their efforts, if that's what it
took.  Commodore could commission a mass of low-budget ads from multiple
sources, then pick over the results and blitz TV viewers with the best of
the lot.  So what if some of them were made in Joe User's basement, and
others in Hollywood or Madison Avenue, so long as they are of "professional"
quality?

Obviously Commodore would like to have fairly strong control over the content
of their ads, to present a coordinated marketing profile (or whatever the
adspeak is).  Ok, so they don't use what doesn't fit, or ask for changes.
If you (speaking to videophiles out there) could produce and submit an ad to
Commodore, knowing that you would probably be asked to make extensive
changes, and that you'd only get paid if they used the results, and even
then, less than you would have made doing what you normally do -- wouldn't it
still be worth it?  Only a few of you will say unconditionally "yes", but
that's all it takes...

Everyone, what would the impact be if there were 20 different Amiga ads and
many of them ended with a credit such as:

        Produced by Joe Blow
          Ratatouie, Idaho
     Over Christmas break, 1989

             Amiga 500
          SuperGen GenLock
     Panasonic "????" SVHS VCR
     Digi-View Video Digitizer
         Sculpt-Animate 4D
          Deluxe PaintIII
           Perfect Sound
              Music-X
            Yamaha DX-11

        "Thanks, Commodore!"

?

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (11/08/89)

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:

>they are the same 4 ads, over and over.  See them enough times and they get
>just as annoying as detergent ads.

What is very interesting about this annoyance factor in ads is that the
threshold of effectiveness lies on the far side of this annoyance zone.
Brainwashing can be annoying, too, but who will doubt it's effectiveness?
You'll know when it's working when your friends can't stop saying: "Can
you HEAR me, Stevie!" and hate themselves for it.  :-) :-)

>Why not run more diverse ads?  A couple of dozen different ads, say?
>"Production costs", you say -- but isn't the Amiga the acknowledged king of
>low-budget video production?  Many studios are using them.  Many Amiga users
>are fanatics who would be glad to donate their efforts, if that's what it
>took.  Commodore could commission a mass of low-budget ads from multiple
>sources...

This is an intriguing proposal!  However, remember the flack C= received
for the infamous MTV ads of a year ago.  They were universally panned for
being self-consiously low budget and cheesy.  I personally didn't think the
"Work Hard, Play Hard" theme was all that awfull; but as ads, they where
ineffective.  Contrast that to the acclaim the current project has received
especially from within the advertising industry.  I don't mean to discount
anyone's criticism of the the current ads but we should remember that we are
not the ones being courted.  C= needs to sell a shit load of A500s for a
needed cash injection.  THEN we can whine about 1.4, A3000, unix, etc. in
good faith!

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (11/09/89)

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
:...
:they are the same 4 ads, over and over.  See them enough times and they get
:just as annoying as detergent ads.

This is just great.  Here in Chicago we would KILL to have just one or
two ads and here you guys are choking on them.

So WHO was in charge of booking the station time??  They drive people
away out there and we get NO exposure at all.  Sounds like a tad bit of
mis-calculation.

Joel

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (09/05/90)

In article <14176@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:

>PS,  Amiga ads will run in student newspapers at some fifty campuses
>tomorrow....and full color inserts will be in the papers next week at the
>same campuses....Let me know what you think of them....ads will be running
>on those same campuses on a regular basis all fall...as well as some
>special promotions....
>
>MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!! AMIGA!
>
>Howard S Diamond
>Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
>1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380
>diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com  215-431-9142

   Here's hoping that ISU is one of those campuses!  I think they had better
be VERY good, though, as Apple and IBM have really been bombarding the ISU
Daily since the beginning of the semester.

   Apple ran full or half-page ads in every issue last week, for yet-another
Macintosh Product Show in the Union.  Today IBM got into the act with a
quarter-page ad pushing the PS/2 (what else?) bundled with Windows 3.0.

   The problem is, there is absolutely no Amiga support here at ISU.  The
nearest dealer is 35 miles away, much too far for most students.  Besides,
why should they have to go even one mile out of their way when there is
much support from Apple and IBM located on-campus?

   So, unless Commodore backs up the ad with a new Amiga dealer, I don't
think Commodore should waste their time or money on ISU.  Without support,
any ads run in the ISU Daily would be fruitless.  If the ads did convince
someone to look at the Amiga 3000, where would they go to get one?  The
need to have to drive 35 miles just to look at one would be enough to
make them decide to just get an inexpensive 25Mhz 80386 system (which
can be had for as little as $1400 now).

   Unfortunately, I don't think the situation here at ISU is the exception,
but is far and away the norm for colleges and universities in the U.S.

                                     -MB-

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (09/05/90)

In article <29441@nigel.ee.udel.edu> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>In article <14176@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
>
>>PS,  Amiga ads will run in student newspapers at some fifty campuses
>>tomorrow....and full color inserts will be in the papers next week at the
>>same campuses....Let me know what you think of them....ads will be running
>>on those same campuses on a regular basis all fall...as well as some
>>special promotions....
>>
>>MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!! AMIGA!
>>
>>Howard S Diamond
>>Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
>>1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380
>>diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com  215-431-9142
>>

>   Here's hoping that ISU is one of those campuses!  I think they had better
>be VERY good, though, as Apple and IBM have really been bombarding the ISU
>Daily since the beginning of the semester.
>
>   Apple ran full or half-page ads in every issue last week, for yet-another
>Macintosh Product Show in the Union.  Today IBM got into the act with a
>quarter-page ad pushing the PS/2 (what else?) bundled with Windows 3.0.
>
>   The problem is, there is absolutely no Amiga support here at ISU.  The
>nearest dealer is 35 miles away, much too far for most students.  Besides,
>why should they have to go even one mile out of their way when there is
>much support from Apple and IBM located on-campus?
>
>   So, unless Commodore backs up the ad with a new Amiga dealer, I don't
>think Commodore should waste their time or money on ISU.  Without support,
>any ads run in the ISU Daily would be fruitless.  If the ads did convince
>someone to look at the Amiga 3000, where would they go to get one?  The
>need to have to drive 35 miles just to look at one would be enough to
>make them decide to just get an inexpensive 25Mhz 80386 system (which
>can be had for as little as $1400 now).
>
>   Unfortunately, I don't think the situation here at ISU is the exception,
>but is far and away the norm for colleges and universities in the U.S.
>

>                                     -MB-

You make a good point.....that is one of the reasons why we are focusing
at specific campuses...  The ones we are working with all:

1) Have shown faculty and administrative support for the Amiga

2) Have already agreed or are seriously considering adding the Amiga
to their on-site resale locations  OR have a Commodore Education Dealer
close to the campus who can help drive and support the program.

3) Have been identified as a high potential institution by our Education
sales group, and have been assigned a specific Education sales account
executive to work with the campus

Despite the doom and gloom I see expressed here periodically, the reality
(as I have suggested in the past) is that the Education program is
growing at an extraordinary rate, and the reception we have gotten from
a large number of campuses has been great.  The number of campuses which
will support the program through their on-campus resale locations by the
end of this fall campaign, will far exceed our origional expectations.

As I have noted to some of you in the past, I believe in a quality
program.....and you don't perform miracles overnight, even WITH
great technology.  That is why we are going to do a good job of
supporting a reasonable number of Universities.... and not try to
be everywhere, and do everything right away.  Apple has grown a reasonably
successful program, after starting by focusing on less than 30 campuses.

Have fun, and keep in touch .....( a dangerous thing to say to this group,
I know)  We are doing both.

PS....  We will announce a new program twist in the next six weeks which
will make supporting schools without local dealers or on-site resale
locations more realistic.

--

chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) (09/06/90)

In article <14210@cbmvax.commodore.com>, diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
> PS....  We will announce a new program twist in the next six weeks which
> will make supporting schools without local dealers or on-site resale
> locations more realistic.
>
> --
>

> Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
> 1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380
> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com  215-431-9142
> MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!! AMIGA!

Please try doing some advertising at Clemson university.  I had a nasty
experience today down at our Micro Center, where some guy proceeded to tell
me that I had "brain defects" because I had not traded my Amiga for a Macintosh
a long time ago.  I'm not sure if he was an Apple representative, or one of the
guys that works for the center, but either way, he was a real jerk.  (Jerk is
not really the word I want)  I decided that was my last trip to the Micro
Center.  Anyway, if other people have had the same experiences, they would
probably enjoy another choice.  Our University pushes the Mac II.  In fact, the
idiot who tried to provoke me tried to convince me that shelling out over
$7000 for a Mac was a GOOD idea.

Anyway, now might be a good time to step in.

Chris Everhart

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (09/06/90)

Marc, do you ALWAYS talk in circles? First you say you hope your campus
is one of the schools that CBM is going to advertise... THEN you turn around
and say since the closest Amiga dealer is over 35 miles away... they may not
as well waste their time nor money!!

I agree with the other person who mentioned... either there are TWO Marcs
(God forbid!) or you have a split personality!

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (09/06/90)

In article <29441@nigel.ee.udel.edu> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

> In article <14176@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
>> [Amiga ads will start appearing in some 50 campus newspapers tomorrow]

>    Here's hoping that ISU is one of those campuses!  I think they had better

I hope that they don't run them at ISU for the sole reason that I
really don't want to hear MB's bitching about them.  How about you?

Flames and applause in email, please.
Tom

kinnersley@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (09/06/90)

In article <14176@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:

>PS,  Amiga ads will run in student newspapers at some fifty campuses
>tomorrow....and full color inserts will be in the papers next week at the
>same campuses....Let me know what you think of them....ads will be running
>on those same campuses on a regular basis all fall...as well as some
>special promotions....
>
>MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!! AMIGA!

OK, you asked for it..

They're a really big step in the right direction.  Aimed at the right
audience, and placed where they will see it.  Big improvement over the
Time/Newsweek ads.  If similar ads occur regularly, name recognition
and sales for the Amiga on college campuses should see a significant
increase.

But... (here comes the but part ;-)

"Too many notes, Mozart."  It would be even more effective if it was
reduced to the essentials, because not everyone is going to stop in the
middle of their pizza to read a page of fine print.  The points you want
to get across are few and simple (we all know what they are):

Look, there's a computer callled the Amiga.  It's not an IBM PC and it's
not a Mac.  It combines the best features of each, and can do a lot of
things they can't.  It's got a mouse and a full color display.  It's
powerful, easy to use, and doesn't cost a fortune.  Tech students can
use it for number crunching, music people can compose in stereo, and
artists can produce realistic 3-D animations.  Put that together and
you've got multimedia.  If you're willing to be impressed, stop in at
your dealer.  We'll give you a free T-shirt, if there's any left.

(By the way, our nearest dealer is 30 miles away too.  :-(

--
--Bill Kinnersley

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (09/06/90)

In article <10351@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) writes:
>In article <14210@cbmvax.commodore.com>, diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
>> PS....  We will announce a new program twist in the next six weeks which
>> will make supporting schools without local dealers or on-site resale
>> locations more realistic.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
>> 1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380
>> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com  215-431-9142
>> MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!! AMIGA!
>

>Please try doing some advertising at Clemson university.  I had a nasty
>experience today down at our Micro Center, where some guy proceeded to tell
>me that I had "brain defects" because I had not traded my Amiga for a Macintosh
>a long time ago.  I'm not sure if he was an Apple representative, or one of the
>guys that works for the center, but either way, he was a real jerk.  (Jerk is
>not really the word I want)  I decided that was my last trip to the Micro
>Center.  Anyway, if other people have had the same experiences, they would
>probably enjoy another choice.  Our University pushes the Mac II.  In fact, the
>idiot who tried to provoke me tried to convince me that shelling out over
>$7000 for a Mac was a GOOD idea.
>
>Anyway, now might be a good time to step in.
>
>Chris Everhart

Hi everybody.....  I just wanted to note that I am getting alot of e-mail
me.  I would not be as obvious on the the net as I am, if I didn't want to
hear from people.

Sure, sometimes it IS hard not to sarcastically respond when I get a note
saying "advertise more" or something equally obvious...but the reality is that
I learn alot from watching the net...and from the responses I get, directly
and indirectly.

I have received numerous notes about the new advertising campaign on campuses,
and hope to receive more, so that I can do a better job of evaluating whether
what we are doing is targeted correctly.  You all help with those decisions.

I am sorry that I can't respond more positively to all the notes saying "please
advertise on my campus" but with your help......we will get there.

--

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (09/07/90)

In article <29441@nigel.ee.udel.edu> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   Here's hoping that ISU is one of those campuses!  I think they had better
>be VERY good, though, as Apple and IBM have really been bombarding the ISU
>Daily since the beginning of the semester.

[...]
>   The problem is, there is absolutely no Amiga support here at ISU.  The
>nearest dealer is 35 miles away, much too far for most students.  Besides,
>why should they have to go even one mile out of their way when there is
>much support from Apple and IBM located on-campus?

So take out an ad in the Daily to announce the presense of a strong Commodore
user's group in Ames, which offers public domain software, tips on what to
buy and where, emotional support, free Kool-Aid and animal crackers, whatever.
If you don't *have* a user's group in Ames (and you probably do), create one.

>   Unfortunately, I don't think the situation here at ISU is the exception,
>but is far and away the norm for colleges and universities in the U.S.

Considering the difference in margins between an A3000 that Commodore sells,
and any Mac II that Apple sells, I think it's regrettable but understandable.
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) (09/08/90)

MORE SUPPORT FROM CLEMSON U...

Someone from Commodore demo the 3000 down here.  Everyone will go ape
for the graphics and unix stuff!!  Take a hint from an Amiga owner, here is a   very large campus right in the middle of Atlanta and Charlotte.  Mac is $$$     and clones are hard to use (dos).  Give us a demo!

                 Doug Dyer

kinnersley@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) writes:

>Look, there's a computer callled the Amiga.  It's not an IBM PC and it's
>not a Mac.  It combines the best features of each, and can do a lot of
>things they can't.

don't forget to mention that with the Bridgeboard and A-Max it can do
most of the things they can. So you can get an IBM that can't run
MacIntosh or Amiga programs, or you can get a Mac that can't run Amiga
programs but can run some IBM programs (softPC emulator)...
or you can get an Amiga that can run all three machines' programs!!

For HALF(*) the friggin' cost of either of the other two!!!

(*) varies depending on which models you are comparing.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:

>I am sorry that I can't respond more positively to all the notes saying "please
>advertise on my campus" but with your help......we will get there.

Personally, I think CBM ought to have an incentive program:

If you are responsible for getting <insert number here. 5 is a good number.>
Amiga's being bought (by convincing others to buy Amiga's
by your word of mouth) then CBM should give you a brand new Amiga
3000 system. :-)

[I personally am responsible for 5 systems being sold already. Send my
Amiga 3000 ASAP :-)]