[comp.sys.amiga] "I want a VisiCalc"

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (09/06/90)

  [Subject: "I want a VisiCalc"]

  It is the stuff of legend that when VisiCalc was first released (1980ish)
fat wallets would walk into computer stores and say things like:

Businessman: I want a VisiCalc.
SalesDroid:  You will have to buy a computer to run it on.
Businessman: Uh whatever. I want a VisiCalc.

  The moral being that the application sold the computer, at that time
the Apple ][.

  It may be that CDTV is a sufficiently neat, accessible product that
a similar logic will kick in for the home consumer. We have recently
witnessed the excitement generated by the concept of the Fred Fish
Compact Disk. This is fine for the techno weenies who read usenet, but
it ain't gonna sell in Peoria or Saskatoon.
  My personal dream is to get a bunch of NASA CDROMs with Voyager and
Mariner imagery and write a program that displays this data. Again this
will only appeal to a limited number of spaceniks.

  So here's the challenge: What is the `magic VisiCalc' application that
is going to sell CDTVs like hotcakes?
  Secondarily, what do you really want to see as an Amiga CD application?

  <-Harvey

  PS.
  If you are a developer who thinks you have such a product, I don't expect
you to tell us all about it. I am however trying to flex the collective
imagination into contemplating what might be great CDTV products.
  PPS.
  I know CBM has mentioned a 100 software titles for CDTV. It will be
interesting to see just what they are.

"The social addiction to armaments races is not fundamentally different
                    from individual addiction to drugs." - G. Bateson

    Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
     uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
             a186@mindlink.UUCP

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/08/90)

In article <3082@mindlink.UUCP>, a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) says:

>  So here's the challenge: What is the `magic VisiCalc' application that
>is going to sell CDTVs like hotcakes?

Sadly, it is probably something like a disk full of Nudie Pics.  Especially if
the software included allows the user to edit himself into them.  With
something Mandala like, he could even interact with the animated versions.

                                                                   8-)/2

geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) (09/12/90)

In article <3082@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:

>   [stuff deleted]
>   So here's the challenge: What is the `magic VisiCalc' application that
> is going to sell CDTVs like hotcakes?
>   Secondarily, what do you really want to see as an Amiga CD application?

OK, I'll probably regret this in years to come, but I can't see me
having the time/resources to bring this idea to fruition.

Fitness is big business these days, there's a lot of money to be
made, and we are all aware of the health benefits of more exercise.
I should be fitter, but the problem is I find most forms of exercise
_boring_, so - enter the CDTV.

Why not make an interactive fitnessprogram, you could start off with
something simple like an exercycle and some video of some
interesting scenery. You pedal, and the video keeps pace. How about
a rowing machine and some white water? Some ski-ing?

This shouldn't involve any great problems with interfacing etc, it
should be possible to set it up using conventional joystick inputs.

Taking it one step further, why not integrate some fitness hardware
with some games, you play the game and probably don't even notice
you're working up a sweat? How about a strip-poker type of thing -
lift more weight, off comes another layer, I'm sure you could have
fun programming this - or at least doing the videos!! 8-)

Next step would be to build in some fitness type smarts to guide the
user through a program according to height, weight, age etc, and
keep records of each session so you could see your progress.

I think gear like this exists already in fitness centers etc, but
probably not at a price every home could afford, and not with such
interesting graphics/video capability.

OK so that's my idea. Remember - you saw it here first, and if you
produce a product along these lines, feel free to send your
royalties to:-
Geoff McCaughan        Email: geoff@actrix.co.nz  Phone: +64 3 539545 or 852101
Amiga/Hardware/Unix/Quantum Mechanics Hacker      Phax : +64 3 539567
"Anarchy: Think of it as evolution in action."            ^ NEW ZEALAND!

geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) (09/14/90)

In article <5958.tnews@templar.actrix.co.nz> jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz (John Bickers) writes:
> Quoted from - geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan):
> > Fitness is big business these days, there's a lot of money to be
> > made, and we are all aware of the health benefits of more exercise.
>                                 [...]
> > I think gear like this exists already in fitness centers etc, but
> > probably not at a price every home could afford, and not with such
> > interesting graphics/video capability.
>
>     Well, this sort of thing did exist for the C= 64. It's featured in an
>     old issue of Commodore Magazine (now defunct, it appears :().
>     [stuff deleted]

Thou kiddest surely? I'm talking about an interactive video system
not some program written on a bitty box. With skill this could be
made interesting enough that people will want to use it for its own
sake.

You take the C=64, I'll put my money on the CDTV.