[comp.sys.amiga] Butonic Virus

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) (09/07/90)

It seems as though there is a new virus here in Hawaii called the Butonic
virus, I a disk that I know it is on, and was wondering if there is an easy
way to find and kill this virus?  I would like to have something as easy as
VirusX to work with, but I am willing to use anything else that will work
against it.  BTW what do most of you use for virus protection and
irradication?  Please E-Mail unless it is of vast net importance...

					Todd

--
                       olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
"Take your work seriously, but never take yourself seriously and do not take

In <105933@convex.convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <9230@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) writes:
>>It seems as though there is a new virus here in Hawaii called the Butonic
>>virus, I a disk that I know it is on, and was wondering if there is an easy
>>way to find and kill this virus?  I would like to have something as easy as
>>VirusX to work with, but I am willing to use anything else that will work
>>against it.  BTW what do most of you use for virus protection and
>>irradication?  Please E-Mail unless it is of vast net importance...
>
>If you really must frighten us all with tales of a new virus, please
>include with your tale a brief description of the symptoms.

Yes, and send a copy to Steve Tibbett as well, so that he can include the kill
for it in the next VirusX.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (09/07/90)

In article <9230@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) writes:
>It seems as though there is a new virus here in Hawaii called the Butonic
>virus, I a disk that I know it is on, and was wondering if there is an easy
>way to find and kill this virus?  I would like to have something as easy as
>VirusX to work with, but I am willing to use anything else that will work
>against it.  BTW what do most of you use for virus protection and
>irradication?  Please E-Mail unless it is of vast net importance...

If you really must frighten us all with tales of a new virus, please
include with your tale a brief description of the symptoms.

Thanks,
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) (09/08/90)

In article <105933@convex.convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <9230@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) writes:
>>It seems as though there is a new virus here in Hawaii called the Butonic
>>virus, I a disk that I know it is on, and was wondering if there is an easy
>>way to find and kill this virus?  I would like to have something as easy as
>>VirusX to work with, but I am willing to use anything else that will work
>>against it.  BTW what do most of you use for virus protection and
>>irradication?  Please E-Mail unless it is of vast net importance...
>
>If you really must frighten us all with tales of a new virus, please
>include with your tale a brief description of the symptoms.

Well if you insist:

The virus is a file that sits in the home directory and sticks itself as
the first line in the startup-sequence.  It is a file that is 2916 bytes
and it is named with some invisible characters (not spaces), I don't know
if the name changes as it replicates, because I do not really want to
find out what it does to har drives.  I do know that it changes the CLI/Shell
windows name to several German(?) phrases one of which I do believe trans-
lates to "the proffesor".  I will send a copy to SteveX as E-mail has sug-
gested.

			Todd Olson

--
                       olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
"Take your work seriously, but never take yourself seriously and do not take
what happens to either yourself or your work seriously." --Booth Tarkington

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/09/90)

It would be best ti send{this virus to Steve Tibbett, (His address is in
the VirusX docs, or you can call his BBS) so he can add it to the next
version of VirusX. (Dunno what version number it'll be, with so many
bogusversions, we might like a post on the net by someone respectable to
confirm the latest version. (i.e. Dave Haynie or Steve himself)).

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!
ndesirable features!

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) (09/09/90)

In article <1940@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>Yes, and send a copy to Steve Tibbett as well, so that he can include the kill
>for it in the next VirusX.

More info, from an Aussie disk magazine,

The Butonic Virus is also of the directory type. It will write
itself to a disk as file with a length of 2916 bytes. Once again the
name of the file appears to be a blank line.
Butonic can change the name of the active windows, to names such
as

  Ich Braunch jetzt Alk!             Bitte keinen Wodka!
  Mehr Buszyklen fur den Prozessor   Paula meint,Agnus sei zu dick

The Butonic Virus changes the following vectors.....

        KickTagPtr           Varies in memory, fast memory if present
        DoIO                 Varies in memory, fast memory if present

This is another destructive virus, it has the ability to destroy
the directory structure of a disk. When it shows itself it will
display an alert with the following text.

             Hi

             Jeff's Speaking here...
             (w) by the genius BUTONIC
             V3.00/9.2.89 - Gen.0026

             Greetings to *Hackmack*,*Atlantic*,
             & Alex,Frank,Wolfram,Gerlach,Miguel,Klaus,Snoopy-Data!

				Todd Olson

BTW the copy goes to SteveX on Monday.

--

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (09/13/90)

In article <9286@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) writes:
-
-The Butonic Virus is also of the directory type. It will write
-itself to a disk as file with a length of 2916 bytes. Once again the
-name of the file appears to be a blank line.
-Butonic can change the name of the active windows, to names such
-as
-
-  Ich Braunch jetzt Alk!             Bitte keinen Wodka!
-  Mehr Buszyklen fur den Prozessor   Paula meint,Agnus sei zu dick
-

near as we can tell this translates as:

I need alcohol now!		Please no vodka!
more ????? for the Processor!	Paula thinks Agnus is fat(?)
				^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
				(some kind of fat agnus remark)

perhaps someone more knowledgeable can supply a better translation.

--
  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

poirier@ellerbe.rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (09/14/90)