[comp.sys.amiga] Clock positioning

lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Shannon Lawson) (09/12/90)

I've been experimenting with the WBStartup drawer, and I naturally (for me)
wanted to put the clock in there to run automatically at boot time.  I've set it
up so that it defaults to digital mode, but I can't figure out how to tell it
where to appear on the screen.  I'm sure there must be a simple way to do that,
but like many undocumented features, it will remain a mystery until someone
graciously sheds some light on the subject.

Thank you!

--
  Shannon Lawson
  Computer Engineering Student            "Hypermedia?  Oh!  You mean Amiga!

weissman@wsl.dec.com (Terry Weissman) (09/13/90)

I figured this out, but to do it, I had to look for strings in the binary...

Add tooltypes LEFT=<x-position> and TOP=<y-position>, where x-position
and y-position are replaced by the right number of pixels.  Try
something like TOP=0 and LEFT=570 to get it into the menu bar.

- Terry Weissman		weissman@ragtime.sf.ca.us

Please do *NOT* send mail to weissman@wsl.dec.com; that address is going
away real soon.  Send me mail at weissman@ragtime.sf.ca.us.

eric@cbmvax.commodore.com (Eric Cotton) (09/13/90)

In article <30159@nigel.ee.udel.edu> lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Shannon Lawson) writes:
>I've been experimenting with the WBStartup drawer, and I naturally (for me)
>wanted to put the clock in there to run automatically at boot time.  I've set it
>up so that it defaults to digital mode, but I can't figure out how to tell it
>where to appear on the screen.  I'm sure there must be a simple way to do that,
>but like many undocumented features, it will remain a mystery until someone
>graciously sheds some light on the subject.

Alas, there is currently no support for positioning the clock when run from
Workbench.  This is an enhancement I hope to make soon.  It should have been
in there for 2.0 but was an oversight on my part (I except the blame!).
You can, however, enter dimensions and positions when running the clock from
the CLI (type Clock ? for the template).  Perhaps you could start the clock
from your startup-sequence.

>Thank you!

No, thank me when I add the feature!

--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

In article <1990Sep12.205627.25718@wrl.dec.com> weissman@ragtime.sf.ca.us (Terry Weissman) writes:
>I figured this out, but to do it, I had to look for strings in the binary...
>
>Add tooltypes LEFT=<x-position> and TOP=<y-position>, where x-position
>and y-position are replaced by the right number of pixels.  Try
>something like TOP=0 and LEFT=570 to get it into the menu bar.

Incorrect.  The Clock has never supported position and dimension arguments
via Workbench (you can set them when running from CLI).  A future version
will give full support to both environments.

--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100
1200 Wilson Drive                        {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!eric
West Chester, PA 19380            "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."

weissman@wsl.dec.com (Terry Weissman) (09/14/90)

Oops.  Right you are.  I did have to do that from the CLI.

Sorry for the confusion...

- Terry Weissman 	weissman@ragtime.sf.ca.us