[comp.sys.amiga] I need some general info please

BRUGGMNJ%XAVIER.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (09/13/90)

Hello all,

    As the borrower of A1000, I was wondering what things might be
good to get or try to get to see what can be done with the Amiga.  My
main interests are in BBS's and in video graphics, in particular what
would or is the best terminal emulator to get for the amiga?  Right
now I have a VT100 emulator, but I have heard of other programs, what
would be the best for an Amiga.  The 1000 I have is a strip down
model, with nothing added on and only the internal drive.  It has the
basic CRT, 1084 I think and half a meg of memory.  I have a 1200 baud
external modem that supports your basic 'ATDT' style commands.
   Some of my questions are general, like what stuff is PD? Which mag
carries the better articles, Amiga World, Go Amiga?  My access to
periodicals is limited to US based mags.  Are there any good BBS's in
the Mid-west (I'm live in Ohio) , or is there a good list of BBS's
somewhere on the net.
   I eagerly await MRCserv's response to my first mail message that I
sent today, and I have been jotting down all the BBS's that people put
in their sigs, but what's beyond that. Also, and this is my last
question, what would be a good system to buy for myself?  Resources
are limited (c. $2000) but, I do have credit cards...:-)
Eager to learn but not quite sure where to begin....

John
~~~~~~~~~~~
John Bruggeman
Xavier University  Cincinnati, OH  45207  USA
BRUGGMNJ@XAVIER.BITNET

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/14/90)

BRUGGMNJ%XAVIER.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:

> Hello all,
>
>     As the borrower of A1000, I was wondering what things might be
> good to get or try to get to see what can be done with the Amiga.  My
> main interests are in BBS's and in video graphics, in particular what
> would or is the best terminal emulator to get for the amiga?  Right
> now I have a VT100 emulator, but I have heard of other programs, what

JR-Comm 1.0 is the one I use, and the only thing i need right now that
JR-Comm doesn't have is Kermit, which is coming soon.

> would be the best for an Amiga.  The 1000 I have is a strip down
> model, with nothing added on and only the internal drive.  It has the
> basic CRT, 1084 I think and half a meg of memory.  I have a 1200 baud
> external modem that supports your basic 'ATDT' style commands.

I suggest upgrading to at least a 2000HD, since it has a 40 meg SCSI
drive, and you can add 2 megs of RAM without adding any boards. You sould
ershould also pick up a SupraModem 2400. This (and the MNP version) is
the only Supra product I can wholeheartedly recommend to you.

>    Some of my questions are general, like what stuff is PD? Which mag
> carries the better articles, Amiga World, Go Amiga?  My access to
> periodicals is limited to US based mags.  Are there any good BBS's in
> the Mid-west (I'm live in Ohio) , or is there a good list of BBS's
> somewhere on the net.

AmigaWorld is, IMHO, the best, and Amazing Computing is second. They,
again IMHO, are the bst Amiga mags you can get. I live right across the
border in Indiana, so if you email reply this article, I'll send you my
local BBS list. Wait...I'll reply via email to this one. (Damn line
editor). The best BBS list, and I'm sure most will agree, is Chet
Solace's "The Final List" but I can't find a recent edition. Does anyone
know where I can get it? (Besides calling his BBS).

>    I eagerly await MRCserv's response to my first mail message that I
> sent today, and I have been jotting down all the BBS's that people put
> in their sigs, but what's beyond that. Also, and this is my last
> question, what would be a good system to buy for myself?  Resources
> are limited (c. $2000) but, I do have credit cards...:-)
> Eager to learn but not quite sure where to begin....

Like I said, you should be able to get a 2000HD, and it appears that you
are a university student, so a certified dealer. If you have a problem
finding a good one, I can give you the address and phone nmber of
Indiana's best Amiga-only dealer. (excellent place, just excellent) Not
to fret...he's just in Indianapolis, and trust me, it's worth the drive.
In case you've already heard of it, the name is CPU Inc.

> John
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
> John Bruggeman
> Xavier University  Cincinnati, OH  45207  USA
> BRUGGMNJ@XAVIER.BITNET

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

d6b@psuecl.bitnet (09/14/90)

In article <30249@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, BRUGGMNJ%XAVIER.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
>    Some of my questions are general, like what stuff is PD? Which mag
> carries the better articles, Amiga World, Go Amiga?  My access to
> periodicals is limited to US based mags.

If you want to learn about the Amiga, Amazing Computing is currently
the best (by far) US magazine. The other magazines just want to talk about
their advertisers. You might want to pick one up just to look at the ads
(any one will do; they're all the same). Another to look into is
AmigaMail (published by Commodore). It generally doesn't have beginner-
level articles, however, so it's probably not a good place to start
(at first). By the way, I looked into .Info's "tech" section...it's a
joke. Of course, these are just my opinions; I'm sure most people
disagree. :-)

-- Dan Babcock