[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Educational Ads

	Well, the Amiga ad just appeared in Columbia's paper, the
spectator. Despite some comments by one of the less respected
forum members, the large amount of copy doesn't lower the effect.
Since it is a full-page ad there is more than enough room for
large pictures/text and copy. There is an A3000/A1950 with a
shark coming out of the screen. Then in large text next to it the
text says, 'MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND. AMIGA. MEET THE FUTURE OF
CREATIVE THINKING.'
	The only realy change I would make is get rid of the
t-shirt picture and enlarge the print on that last paragraph,
which I think is great.
	"Sure, some people buy what's standard. But we think you
can make up your own mind, and choose your own best course for
the future. After all, isn't that what college is all about?"
	Considering, according to the spectator, a full page ad
costs $1,000, and about 8-10 ads have been scheduled, I think the
doubts that Commodore is putting its money where its mouth is
should be dispelled completely.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait;
NumCountries--;

and by popular demand...

free(Kuwait);

uphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) (09/13/90)

[In "Amiga Educational Ads" <1990Sep11.035153.13360@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
      es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) said:]
:
:	Well, the Amiga ad just appeared in Columbia's paper, the
:spectator. Despite some comments by one of the less respected
:forum members, the large amount of copy doesn't lower the effect.

I was the one who said the ad could be more effective in fewer words.
I don't know where you get the "less respected" part, but I would like
to assume that you are accidentally confusing me with someone else.

The Time/Newsweek ads a while back were 7 pages of small text.  It took
detailed examination to conclude that they were an ad for something, and
nearly a magnifiying glass to spot the word Amiga.

As I said, the latest round is a big improvement, but IMHO could be more
effective if they were simplified even further.

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717

d6b@psuecl.bitnet (09/14/90)

In article <9009121727.AA19635@terra.oscs.montana.edu>, uphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
> As I said, the latest round is a big improvement, but IMHO could be more
> effective if they were simplified even further.

Well, it's none of my business, but I thought the ads were fine, maybe
even great. Not perfect, perhaps, but much better than the sickely ads
that Apple puts out (marketeers take note: college students don't want
to read stupid sentence fragments!!!)
Just remove the, misplaced, commas, and it would be perfect...

-- Dan Babcock