[comp.sys.amiga] Color Insert Ads.

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (09/11/90)

   I have some major beefs with the color inserts I found in the ISU Daily
today.  The ads were EXACTLY the same as the ads that ran in the newspaper
proper last week, with no changes whatsoever.  OK, there was one minor
change: they were in color, but this is where the differences end.

   I had expected the color ads to be different from the ads I already
saw less than a week ago.  I guess my expectations were unreasonable.

   Last year, Apple put some really nice color inserts into the ISU Daily,
in preparation for the Apple Expo they had the same day, at which they
showed off the IIfx.  The inserts were eight pages long, and completely
different from anything I had seen from Apple before.  They detailed the
entire line of Macintosh products, from the MAC Plus to the new IIfx.
They also gave detailed information about what hardware products were
available for the MAC.

   Now, I hadn't really expected the inserts to be anywhere near the
quality of the ads from Apple.  I just expected them to be different.
And, I don't think these expectations were unreasonable.

                               -MB-

meadb@boulder.Colorado.EDU (MEAD BENNETT ROSS) (09/11/90)

In article <30016@nigel.ee.udel.edu> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   I have some major beefs with the color inserts I found in the ISU Daily
>today.  The ads were EXACTLY the same as the ads that ran in the newspaper
>proper last week, with no changes whatsoever.  OK, there was one minor
>change: they were in color, but this is where the differences end.

	I completely agree with Marc.  The ads weren't given much consideration
here.  Wherever the Colorado Daily was distributed there was always a large
mess of unopened inserts.  Next time Comodore makes a color insert they need
to make the out facing side yell "Notice this!"  It looked like most people
didn't bother to even open it up and look inside before letting it drop to the
floor.  Good try, but I think that this wasn't the way to get to the
brainwashed public.
	I sense more and more an attitude of if its not a Mac, or
a Pc-compatable, then it isn't usefull.  I'm not exactly sure that they're
wrong.  Don't get ME wrong, I mean I love amigas, but right off the top of my
head I can't think of what the Amiga has that should make it stick out in the
crowd except that almost everything is standard.  I mean it's graphics aren't
outstanding anymore, it's price is just a little less than your cheap 286
clones, and the software base is much shallower.  Sure the amiga has one or two
of almost anything that you might want, but you don't have the selection like
you do on a PC.  Somehow comodore needs to yell at people "Look!  It does
everything that they do, and MORE!  "  Maybe they need something like the
spagetti sauce comercial from a while back. "It's in there.  Standard!"
On the whole it's a step in the right direction, we're just not there yet.
			-Bennett
|  |  meadb%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
 |  |  | meadb!tramp!boulder!ncar....   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
  |  |  |  |meadb!tramp!boulder!sunybcs!rutgers...|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |

tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (09/14/90)

A few hours ago, I wrote this article and combined in it a reply to another.
I included the 1-800 number from the advertisement stuffed into 50
college newspapers across the US, and made a typo.  I canceled the
original article; this is a reposting with the correct number.
The wrong number belongs to someone else; please don't call it.

In article <26025@boulder.Colorado.EDU> meadb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Bennett R. Mead) writes:
>In article <30016@nigel.ee.udel.edu> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>>
>>   I have some major beefs with the color inserts I found in the ISU Daily
>>today The ads were EXACTLY the same as the ads that ran in the newspaper
>>proper last week, with no changes whatsoever.  OK, there was one minor
>>change: they were in color, but this is where the differences end.

>	I completely agree with Marc.  The ads weren't given much consideration
>here.  Wherever the Colorado Daily was distributed there was always a large
>mess of unopened inserts.

Around here, this seems to be standard operating procedure with any sort of
insert in the paper, no matter what it is, so we shouldn't single out
Commodore for this.

>              Next time Comodore makes a color insert they need
>to make the out facing side yell "Notice this!"
I found it somewhat interesting that if it fell to the floor a certain way,
it said "MIND.  AMIGA."

>                    It looked like most people
>didn't bother to even open it up and look inside before letting it drop to the
>floor.  Good try, but I think that this wasn't the way to get to the
>brainwashed public.

> [More apologies on how the amiga doesn't initialy seem competetive
>   vs Macs/PCs in the eyes of the ignorant masses]

>On the whole it's a step in the right direction, we're just not there yet.
>			-Bennett   meadb%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu |  |

It appears that this was a rather widespread campaign, which definitely
makes it a good step towards increasing awareness.  I'm a bit concerned
about what dealers they are going to direct people to here in North
Carolina, though.   (See other postings on that, and don't go to Digitz in
Raleigh under any circumstances, unless its with a bazooka.)

While I'm posting:
in <10385@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) writes:
>Date: 7 Sep 90 21:07:10 GMT
>
>Point taken though, interested students do not have an easy a time to look
>into an Amiga.  Does CBM even have a 1-800 number?  Byte (on their issue of
>the 3000) didn't give an 800 number.

The newspaper insert has 800 627 9595 as the number to call to find out where
your local "Campus Authorized Amiga Dealer" is.

[Again: This is a reposting, correcting a wrongly-typed 800 number.
The system here claims to have canceled the incorrect article. -sgt]

Steve Tell      e-mail: tell@wsmail.cs.unc.edu usmail:  #5L Estes Park apts
CS Grad Student, UNC Chapel Hill.                       Carrboro NC 27510

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (09/14/90)

These inserts showed up in the Oracle here at USF, and surprisingly for
inserts in our paper I saw very few being dropped. In fact, several people I
know of went out of their way to get the paper just for the insert. The
Amiga's growing in popularity here, and it was great to see some actual
marketing from Commodore. A definite step in the right direction.

Just thought I'd let you all know that it went well here...

PS -- can you get a T-shirt without getting a 3000? I'd like one to wear
around school...

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (09/15/90)

In article <29@screamer.csee.usf.edu> stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
>PS -- can you get a T-shirt without getting a 3000? I'd like one to wear
>around school...

Really.  Me too.

While we're at it, how about an Amiga sticker of some sort.  A local
store has a really badly designed one...  (Unlegible from more than
a couple of feet away.)

--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu