[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 compatability

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen - Staff OACIS) (08/03/90)

I was wondering if anyone with an A3000 has been keeping track of what works or
doesn't work on the 68030 and/or V2.0? I seem to recall seeing an occasional
list posted. If anyone has such a list I would appreciate it if they would
e-mail me a copy. Individual experiences with specific products would be welcome
also. I'm especially interested in productivity-style software, like DPaint III,
PenPal, Director, etc.

John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet)        (503) 690-1209  - work
..!sequent!oacis!jmeissen (UUCP)            (503) 230-2724  - home
jmeissen                  (BIX)

spworley@athena.mit.edu (09/07/90)

Finally! I got my A3000 under the Ed. Discount plan on Tuesday-
It took over a month to be delivered- it seems that they held the
1950 and CPU for two weeks until my A10 speakers could be delivered
with the set (ARRRRRGGHHH!)

Anyway, It's great! Wow! 2.0 is smoooooth! Enough praises- I'm posting to
give a report on the programs that work on it [I haven't seen a list like
this for a long time, and I was always anxious]. I upgraded from an A500
so I had a bunch of software  already.

A520  (RF Modulator            Byoo-tee-full, although it flickers in
      for the A500)            interlace, like you would expect. I was
                               surprised it worked.. it doesn't on an A2000.

AudioMaster II                 Works just fine in 2.0, though its half-screen
                               instead of full.

BattleChess                    Works fine in 1.3, graphics are glitchy in 2.0
DataStorm                      Title Screen loads, then program bombs,
                                no matter what I try.

Deluxe Paint III               Works fine in 2.0, once froze when trying to
                               do a large area fill.

DigiView Gold 4.0              Works beautifully in 2.0! Someone else posted that
                               theirs didn't work, but so far the only change
                               I see is the image processing speed is MUCH
                               faster.

Falcon                         No go in 2.0, haven't tried 1.3 yet...

MED 2.10  (PD)                 Dies in 2.0, 1.3 works fine.

Perfect Sound 3.0              Some glitchy digitization, but that sometimes
                               happened on my A500, too.

PixMate                        No problems...[the interlaced demo pix are great!)
Their Finest Hour              Works fine under 2.0, though the floppy version
                               keeps the drive spinning when it asks you to
                               change floppies.

Overall, I'm most impressed with the 3000 and 2.0! I especially like the option
to show all files even if they don't have icons [wish that were a key command,
like many other WB options...] The 50MB HD is nice, too. Now all I have to
do is wait for AmigaVision to arrive- probably 3 months from now.. :-)

Steven Worley                                        Spworley@athena.mit.edu

jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) (09/07/90)

I recently heard that DigiView doesn't work with the A3000. Considering how
popular it is, if this is really true then I'm really surprised I haven't
read anything about it here yet.

Anybody with an A3000 have any experience with this?

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

bcphyagi@Twg-S5.uucp (ste[phen walton) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep7.001728.16658@athena.mit.edu> spworley@athena.mit.edu writes:
>Deluxe Paint III               Works fine in 2.0, once froze when trying to
>                               do a large area fill.

DPaint uses their own area fill routine.  Over on BIX today or yesterday,
it was said that EA had gone and looked at their code and found a missing
WaitSomething() call, which broke the area fill.  Apparently timing was
just right to allow the same code to work properly under 1.3.2.

Steve Walton

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (09/10/90)

The official reply I got from NewTek concerning compatibility is:
"After you get your A3000 home, call us up and we will help you
 work through all technical problems you might have". That's good
 enough for me.

 Note: The Sharp JX100 scanlab does work great with the A3000.
 Maybe scanlab sales are approaching a competitive level with
 digiview? Who knows, idle speculation on my part. Perry any
 response to this??

*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******
********* CreativEdge Systems, the Multimedia Solution    ******
********* The Computer Shoppe, Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor, MI's  ******
********* Commodore-Amiga Education Dealer                ******

spworley@athena.mit.edu writes:

>A520  (RF Modulator            Byoo-tee-full, although it flickers in
>      for the A500)            interlace, like you would expect. I was
>                               surprised it worked.. it doesn't on an A2000.

It works fine on my friend's amiga 2000.

It should work on any Amiga matter of fact. The monitor port is the same on
all of them.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (09/14/90)

>>A520  (RF Modulator            Byoo-tee-full, although it flickers in
>>      for the A500)            interlace, like you would expect. I was
>>                               surprised it worked.. it doesn't on an A2000.
>
>It works fine on my friend's amiga 2000.
>
>It should work on any Amiga matter of fact. The monitor port is the same on
>all of them.

The port may be the same, but the signals aren't.  Most 500's put out
a much weaker signal, and the 520 is tweaked more towards accepting
that type of signal.  On a 2000, you will probably get an oversaturated
signal.  You *could* mess with the 520 to compensate, I guess....

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

root@bcstarc.stgt.sub.org (Frank Pecher) (09/15/90)

In article <90256.205400JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>The port may be the same, but the signals aren't.  Most 500's put out
>a much weaker signal, and the 520 is tweaked more towards accepting
>that type of signal.  On a 2000, you will probably get an oversaturated
>signal.  You *could* mess with the 520 to compensate, I guess....

Oh! That might be the reason why the 520 on my Amiga 2000 changes from
color to b&w whenever the screen shows bright colors! Thanks for the
hint :-)

>  Kurt
        --  Frank

--