[comp.sys.amiga] How about MISC?

In article <2956@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:

>>Ah, I'd imagine it'd take a bit fewer than 200,000,000, for whatever RISC
>>architecture he chooses.  If not, he should choose a different one. :-)

>Actually since the article mentioned that it had downloadable micro-code,
>wouldn't that meand that it would be neither RISC nor CISC, but something
>new maybe.... ooohh I don't know... PISC? Programable blah blah blah?

>I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe in another 10 years or so. But not today.

Don't be so sure.  I just read about a very interesting new architecture,
called MISC (Minimal Instruction Set Computer).  It's basically a Very Long
Instruction Word computer, but without the problems.  The idea of VLIW is to
support many different functional units in a chip, each with its own
instruction, on every cycle.  So you provide a long instruction word, which
has fields that provide instructions for each of your functional units.  These
instructions get created by clever scheduling, much like a RISC compiler trys
to keep a pipeline full by ordering instructions in clever ways.  The problem
in the past has been that VLIW computers are hard to build.  This MISC
approach solves that problem my making each functional unit extremely simple
and each instruction processed by this unit very basic.  So you end up with
instructions that aren't all that different than microcode on some machine,
but you get a mess of them executed all at once.  This particular architecture
also has a few interesting thoughts given to multiprocessing and scheduling of
CISC-like instructions on multiple MISC processors working together.  The
main drawback is that the thing "eats memory with a vengence".

>John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (09/15/90)

Dave, your description of a MISC machine sounds a lot like the Forth
Engine.  Forth where the primitives are Opcodes and the secondaries
are subroutines.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com