[comp.sys.amiga] Should I buy now?

ga1060@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (ga1060) (09/15/90)

  I am wondering, is now the time to buy an Amiga?  I considering
buying a 3000, but I am worried about C= future (they are losing $
and a ression is coming).  I also want to know if I do buy, am I
better off buying a 3000/25 or a 3000/16 and spending the left over
$500 for other stuff, like the FF CD-ROM.

  If i do buy, I plan on writing some molecular biology software,
like a PDB viewer, and I am wondering if there is any interest in
such things.

Please respond via E-mail

                                            Rick Blewitt
                                            UCSD

In article <12669@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ga1060@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (ga1060) writes:

>  I am wondering, is now the time to buy an Amiga?  I considering
>buying a 3000, but I am worried about C= future (they are losing $
>and a ression is coming).  I also want to know if I do buy, am I

	First, Commodore is not losing money. Individual quarters
may have losses but they have never had a loss over a year's
period in a number of years. They are a solid company and aren't
going out of business.
	Second, if the recession hits the U.S. and doesn't
significantly impact Europe, the effect will not be enormous on
C= as they sell around 75% of their machines there. Companies
like IBM and Apple sell somewhere around 45% of their machines in
the U.S. (I believe it is thereabouts).

	Please, people, although there are valid complaints about
the Amiga, the Commodore is going out of business comment is
getting old. It has been said for years now, and at least
recently there is no evidence to support it. Their
asset/liability ratio is 2.5/1.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait;