[comp.sys.amiga] Loading a DiskFont

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (09/14/90)

"Lars R. Clausen" <lclausen@lckaos.uucp> writes:

> Or even better, assign Fonts: to where you want it, load the font, then
> reassign to the original Fonts:. We've run into exactly the same
> problem, and we don't want Fonts: to be changed all the time, as other
> programs might want it. Changing it only as long as it takes to load the
> font minimizes the risc of a collision. I'd like to hear any
> suggestions, too.

Or you could set up a floppy named "FONTS" and whenever you inserted
this disk, it would "override" the directory assigned to "FONTS:".

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>   or
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
  NW Florida's first Amiga BBS running on NW Florida's FIRST AMIGA!

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) (09/16/90)

In Message-ID: <30363@nigel.ee.udel.edu>
          jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) said:
>"Lars R. Clausen" <lclausen@lckaos.uucp> writes:
>
>> Or even better, assign Fonts: to where you want it, load the font, then
>> reassign to the original Fonts:. We've run into exactly the same
>> problem, and we don't want Fonts: to be changed all the time, as other
>> programs might want it. Changing it only as long as it takes to load the
>> font minimizes the risc of a collision. I'd like to hear any
>> suggestions, too.
>
>Or you could set up a floppy named "FONTS" and whenever you inserted
>this disk, it would "override" the directory assigned to "FONTS:".

One cute feature in AmigaOS that I have discovered is it desperately wants to
assign FONTS to something and not too particular about what it is.  Is you
delete the fonts directory from your workbench disk and reboot Fonts will be
assigned to the first xxxx:Fonts directory that comes accross.  In my case my
telcom directory has a fonts directory.  I wondered why the telcom icon never
dissapeard when I ejected the disk.  I then noticed that FONTS had been
automagicly assigned to Telcom:fonts

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."