[comp.sys.amiga] New Net?

Beans@tlvx.UUCP (Beans Baxter) (09/03/90)

      Is there anyone out there that is interested in starting a repacment net
for USENET,etc? From what I can see, Usenet is not a "organized" net, and will
eventually break down from too  many newsgroups. If you have any interest AT
ALL, please leave me email. If you would like to "work" on the actual support
team, please leave E-Mail also! If there arn't enough people out there, of
course this won't happen, but I would like to see it form. If you don't want a
new or updated USENET, then please don't be offended, I'm mearly trying to see
if there IS any interest. Comments from either side will be graciouly
accepted.
                                Most Sincerely,
                                Ben Wern
At: Uflorida!unf7!tlvx!Beans OR unf7!tlvx!Beans@bikini.cis.edu
                             OR
                      Beans@Tlvx.UUCP

In <396@tlvx.UUCP>, Beans@tlvx.UUCP (Beans Baxter) writes:
>      Is there anyone out there that is interested in starting a repacment net
>for USENET,etc? From what I can see, Usenet is not a "organized" net, and will
>eventually break down from too  many newsgroups. If you have any interest AT
>ALL, please leave me email. If you would like to "work" on the actual support
>team, please leave E-Mail also! If there arn't enough people out there, of
>course this won't happen, but I would like to see it form. If you don't want a
>new or updated USENET, then please don't be offended, I'm mearly trying to see
>if there IS any interest. Comments from either side will be graciouly
>accepted.

What an odd idea, that something 'unorganized' can 'break down'.

All Usenet sites carry precisely the newsgroups they can afford/want/obtain; no
more, no less.  If by 'break down', you mean that some newsgroups will not be
propogated to all sites, then you could say that it has already broken down.
If you mean something else, then I would have to hear your definition of 'break
down' before commenting much.  I will say that the net is self regulating, in
that it does not depend on fixed resources with fixed capacities.  It grows and
shrinks in both resources and information content on a daily, if not hourly
basis. New newsgroups spring up, old ones either carry on or die, depending on
poster/reader interest. Please note that these observations are merely
impressions of the beast, somewhat akin to watching a cellular automaton like
LIFE, and coming to conclusions based upon observed behaviour. An organized net
is far more likely to have traffic/load problems.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

Beans@tlvx.UUCP (Beans Baxter) (09/16/90)

     O.K, Let's get this cleared up. What I was getting at was a "reworking"
of usenet. A general 'fixing up' not a Whole new net... To those of you who
wrote me, sorry but I've beenm having trouble with me E-mail, but I'm working
on it! Those of you who would like to join a "team" and help set to work on
this project, please leave me e-mail at the address below!

                         <<<<<Beans Baxter>>>>>