[comp.sys.amiga] questions, questions, questions

jwb@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Jeff W. Brogden) (01/24/90)

Situation:
	I am going to get a second Amiga thanks to Commodore's Educational
Discount (it's for my wife, I'm tired of her kicking me off my Amiga, so
she can use it :-)

I have an older A2000 (don't know the rev number, bought it in May 1988)
with 2 floppies, standard 1mg RAM, 1.2 ROMS, and a bridgeboard (which is
hardly ever used).  Basically a stock A2000.  I have a modem hooked to
the serial port and a printer to the parallel port.

Q1:
	I want to be able to hook the two Amiga's together (the new one
will be the A500 bundle) so my wife can use the printer, etc.  I think this
can be done (Dnet right?).  If anyone has done this let me know about your
experiance and any pitfalls, etc.

Q2:
	If I boot my A2000 each time so the bridgeboard is mounted, can my
wife open up a window into it on her A500 and use it from there?

Q3:
	I plan on adding a hard drive with the purchase of the new
computer.  I was looking at Supra's Wordsync controller and a SyQuest.  Any
one used this setup?  Let me know what you think, any pitfalls, how it
works, etc...  (example: does it recognize when a new cart has been
inserted)

Q4:
	I need to keep my modem hooked up to the serial port, and the
printer to the parallel port.  What kind of multi-serial boards are
available, who makes them, what are their features, etc...
I found three: Commodore's (anyone used it? what's it like?)
	       ASDG's         "     "    "   "      "   "
	       Checkpoint     "     "    "   "      "   "

I need to be able to hook up my printer, modem, cable to A500, and, as an
added bonus, a tek4010-1 terminal if I so desire.  The tek4010-1 isn't
important though.

Q5:
	When I get all these goodies, I plan on getting some more RAM
(about 2mg I think) and I want to upgrade to the new 1.3 ROMS as well as
the new agnus chip.  Will there be any problems with the above equipment
when I do this?

Q6:
	Where can I pick up the latest version of Dnet or what ever I need
for Q1.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide to me.  E-mail responses
to me at the address below, I will summerize to the net if there is
intrest.  Again, Thanks.

Jeff Brogden					| Kansas State University
Internet: jwb@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu          	| Manhattan, KS.  66506
                                            	| Office phone: (913)532-6350
UUCP: {rutgers,texbell,atanasoff}!ksuvax1!jwb	| Home phone: (913)776-5798

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/15/90)

I've 99% convinced my advisor to spend some grant money to but an Amiga!
Yea!
Macs are VERY big around here, but we need some color capability to vizualize
data sets we have produced and we have a limited budget. I wrote some
software and showed that the Amiga would be useful, especially at the price.

However, there are a bunch of questions that I need to be able to answer, so
I'm turning to the knowledgeable folks of the net for help.
 I would appreciate any responses by e-mail:

Here goes:

1. Ethernet available? I see there is an ethernet card listed on the edu.
	discount form. Is it available? Is the software available? Is there
	a way to hook up an A500 to ethernet?
2. Postscript support. We will have an Apple LaserWriter sometime soon. Can
	the Amiga be hooked up to it? I assume the answer is yes, but what
	software/hardware (if any) is necessary to use it. I assume the
	answer is that the individual software package (WP, etc.) has to
	support postscript printing, but I may be wrong about this.
	For example, if I have a text file (say some source code), can
	"1.> type foo.c > prt:"
	to the LaserWriter?
3. Does the 2000HD come with the A2091 controller? Does it have sockets
	for 2 Megs of expansion RAM? If so, what type of chips does it use.
4. Is Appletalk available for the 2000? The 500?
5. Does AmigaVision come with all CPUs on the edu. discount program now?
6. Do the 2000s/500s have the ECS now? How much CHIP RAM are they shipping with?
7. How about 2.0? How much will it cost to upgrade?

If you, too, were wondering about any of these questions, send me e-mail and
I'll let you know what I find out.

Regards,
Richard
gerber@rigel.astro.uiuc.edu
:wq

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/16/90)

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I've 99% convinced my advisor to spend some grant money to but an Amiga!
> Yea!
> Macs are VERY big around here, but we need some color capability to vizualize
> data sets we have produced and we have a limited budget. I wrote some
> software and showed that the Amiga would be useful, especially at the price.
>
> However, there are a bunch of questions that I need to be able to answer, so
> I'm turning to the knowledgeable folks of the net for help.
>  I would appreciate any responses by e-mail:
>
> Here goes:
>
> 1. Ethernet available? I see there is an ethernet card listed on the edu.
> 	discount form. Is it available? Is the software available? Is there
> 	a way to hook up an A500 to ethernet?

No A500 EtherNet controllers yet from CBM. GVP has one though.

> 2. Postscript support. We will have an Apple LaserWriter sometime soon. Can
> 	the Amiga be hooked up to it? I assume the answer is yes, but what
> 	software/hardware (if any) is necessary to use it. I assume the
> 	answer is that the individual software package (WP, etc.) has to
> 	support postscript printing, but I may be wrong about this.
> 	For example, if I have a text file (say some source code), can
> 	"1.> type foo.c > prt:"
> 	to the LaserWriter?

Not sure...

> 3. Does the 2000HD come with the A2091 controller? Does it have sockets
> 	for 2 Megs of expansion RAM? If so, what type of chips does it use.

Yes..it does use the A2091 SCSI controller. It does have room for 2 megs
or fast RAM. Just ask your delare to tell you what types or SIMM mdules
you need for expanding your RAM.

> 4. Is Appletalk available for the 2000? The 500?

There is one company selling networking stuff just for AppleTalk. I
forget the name, but thy advertise in AmigaWorld a lot.

> 5. Does AmigaVision come with all CPUs on the edu. discount program now?

AmigaVision comed with all Amiga with 1 meg RAM or more, unless someone
has taken it out, which is illegal.

> 6. Do the 2000s/500s have the ECS now? How much CHIP RAM are they shipping wi

Not until 2.0 starts shipping for the A500/A2x00's. The A500C is shipping
with 512k of chip RAM and no fast RAM. The A500P ships with 1 meg of chip
and no fast RAM. The A2000 and A2000HD are the same. The A2500/30 ships
with 1 meg of chip RAM, 0k of 16 bit fast RAM and 4 megs of 32 bit fast
RAM. The A3000 has 1 meg 32 bit chip RAM and 1 meg 32 bit fast RAM.

> 7. How about 2.0? How much will it cost to upgrade?

2.0 was supposed to be out soon, but it looks like we'll have to wait
'til Christmas. I don't know for how much.

> Regards,
> Richard
> gerber@rigel.astro.uiuc.edu
> :wq