[comp.sys.amiga] "ls" and file system problems

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (09/16/90)

In article <mrr.3864@mrsoft.Newport.RI.US> mrr@mrsoft.Newport.RI.US (Mark Rinfret) writes:
> >In article <1990Sep6.034821.9389@ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
> >
> >I got files i can't find on my floppy, they run and act like they is thers.,
> >but they don't show up, Yes i tried the -h file option of
> >ls 4.0k (i'm usinf this ls) but these files don't
> >show up on browser/dir/list/anything else i use.
> >
> >BUT THE FILES ARE THERE!, They WORK they run they are invisible!.
>
> Your problem may be at least partially due to the fact that ls 4.0 is
> case-sensitive. I went back to 3.2 (I think) because of this.

Or you could have aliased "ls" to use the -m and/or -M flags, Mark.  Version
4.1k of "ls" is nearing release, and will include env var support so you can
set the defaults *you* prefer via that mechanism, rather than having to use
aliases.

I am currently waiting for my v5.10 version of the SAS compiler to show up,
as I need to use the startup code from it in order to fix a 2.0/3000 problem.

As to the problem Willis reports, I have little to add to what Dave, Larry,
and others have mentioned in response to the original c.s.a posting on this
problem (that's why this is cross-posted, BTW).

It appears that ExNext() is not picking up these entries for some reason,
*probably* due to some form of disk corruption.  I would suspect a problem
with corrupt datestamps if ARP Dir/etc. cmds were being used, as ARP doesn't
"see" files with bad datestamps, but Willis mentioned several utilities that
have nothing in common with ARP (so far as I know), including "ls".

The only other thing I can think of is an operational problem where the files
in question were (somehow) moved to another dir, that happens to also be in
his path.  Wasn't there a old bug that could "move" files in strange ways
when moving "drawers" around in the WB environment?  Possible I suppose, but
not very likely ... besides, that had to have been in 1.2, I think.

No magic answers from me on this one ...

/kim
--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim