[comp.sys.amiga] Compression algorithms

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (09/17/90)

In article <85485@aerospace.AERO.ORG> huebner@sunpoison.UUCP (Robert E. Huebner) writes:
> .... The throughput of a compressed data stream is hardly constant.  Many
>download protocols give you an indication of the current BPS for this
>very reason.  Using something like an HST-DS (Dual Standard) V.32 you get
>more compression transmitting a text file than something that's been
>.lzh'ed.  There is a significant speed increase on both, however. I wouldn't
>say "little is gained."  I think the speed achievable is still on the
>order of 2:1 for even the most densely packed files using HST-DS.

I'm slightly puzzled.  Could someone explain why there would be such a
large increase in transmission speed - even for .lzh'ed files?
Wouldn't the compression first performed on the source file be the
best possible?  (Forgive my ignorance - I'm slowly plodding through
compression algorithms as a hobby)

-----
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia