[comp.sys.amiga] flick fix

cs41fc49@csufres.csufresno.edu (Kelly Dodge) (09/07/90)

	Has anyone out there come up with some clever way to gram a flicker
fixer on a 500 yet?

					Kelly dodge

kinks@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Karl E Aldinger) (09/13/90)

In article <29688@nigel.ee.udel.edu> cs41fc49@csufres.csufresno.edu (Kelly Dodge) writes:

>	Has anyone out there come up with some clever way to gram a flicker
>fixer on a 500 yet?
>
>					Kelly dodge

This is an interesting question, with the Toaster requiring a video slot.
Does anyone know if it is possible to simulate the video slot with an
adapter mated to the expansion port of a A500.  This could allow the use of
Flicker Fixer, the Video Toaster, or any other framebuffer.

						Karl Aldinger

presley@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Matthew Presley) (09/14/90)

In article <6908@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> kinks@vax1.udel.edu (Karl E Aldinger) writes:

>This is an interesting question, with the Toaster requiring a video slot.
>Does anyone know if it is possible to simulate the video slot with an
>adapter mated to the expansion port of a A500.  This could allow the use of
>Flicker Fixer, the Video Toaster, or any other framebuffer.
>
>						Karl Aldinger

Some company has made some adapter so that you can put a flicker
fixer somewhere other than the video slot.  This device has been
tested with both the Toaster and a Flixer in the same machine and
it worked fine.

This info from October Amiga World article on the Toaster.
Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)
Internet (presley@cs.ucla.edu) or (matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov)
"Twisted yellow puppies play loudly broken flutes..."

dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (09/14/90)

In article <6908@vax1.acs.udel.EDU>, kinks@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Karl E Aldinger) writes:
> In article <29688@nigel.ee.udel.edu> cs41fc49@csufres.csufresno.edu (Kelly Dodge) writes:
> >
> >	Has anyone out there come up with some clever way to gram a flicker
> >fixer on a 500 yet?
> >
> >					Kelly dodge
>
> This is an interesting question, with the Toaster requiring a video slot.
> Does anyone know if it is possible to simulate the video slot with an
> adapter mated to the expansion port of a A500.  This could allow the use of
> Flicker Fixer, the Video Toaster, or any other framebuffer.
>
> 						Karl Aldinger

I expect the major signals in the video slot which are not on the connector
on the back is the raw 4 bit per color digital values.  To reproduce these
signals from the RGB port would require 3 very fast 4 bit A/D converters
which operate at video speeds.  Now, I'm not up on such hardware but I expect
these would probably be expensive.  Microway already makes an adapter which
fits under the Denise chip and allows you to relocate your FF out of the video
slot and into a more convenient location freeing up the video slot in the 2000.
I had thought that the 500 and 2000 Denise chips are equivalent.  If so, a
more promising hack might be to use this adapter and some sort of external
box to provide the FF capability on the 500.

David Albrecht

tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca (09/17/90)

There was a hack about a year ago in AmigoTimes  Issue  1.5  that
explained the nessecary hardware to hook a flickerfixer to either
an A500 or A1000.

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *
*                              *                 \XX/    *

QUIT

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (09/17/90)

tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca writes:
>There was a hack about a year ago in AmigoTimes  Issue  1.5  that
>explained the nessecary hardware to hook a flickerfixer to either
>an A500 or A1000.

>* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
>* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
>*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *
>

>QUIT

No real need to hack anything now.  MicroWay's DEB extender board reportedly
will work fine with an A500...and allow the FlickerFixer to be hooked up...
although it probably will have to go outside the case.

"The most original .sig file yet: A non-existant one!"

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!lkoop
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lkoop@nosc.mil
INET: lkoop@pnet01.cts.com