[comp.sys.amiga] Help on playing mod.* sound files

01moose@ac.dal.ca (09/07/90)

I've FTPed a bunch of files from plains.nodak.edu in the pub/amiga/tmp
directory; when un LHarced they yield a single file called "mod.filename".
After aplying with this file, I ran it through SOUNDv2 and it has
audible .IFF sounds in it. What program plays mod.* files?
Where can I get it?

--
 Michael Dinn, Sysop of the Moose's Swamp - Nova Scotia's largest Amiga BBS
 +1 (902) 463-0483, 3/12/24/48/96/14,400 baud * 170 Megabytes online

bjc@smunews.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (09/12/90)

In article <1948@ac.dal.ca> 01moose@ac.dal.ca writes:
>I've FTPed a bunch of files from plains.nodak.edu in the pub/amiga/tmp
>directory; when un LHarced they yield a single file called "mod.filename".
>After aplying with this file, I ran it through SOUNDv2 and it has
>audible .IFF sounds in it. What program plays mod.* files?
>Where can I get it?

Those files have been showing up on local BBS's and on CompuServe, too.
They are made for SoundTracker, but can be played with a freely
distributable program called IntuiTracker, as well.

You should be able to find IntuiTracker on just about any good BBS - but
if all else fails, it will be in Library 7 of CompuServe's AmigaArts Forum.
Probably all the other services, as well.

Betty
Betty Clay
76702.337@compuserve.com

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (09/13/90)

In article <1948@ac.dal.ca> 01moose@ac.dal.ca writes:
> I've FTPed a bunch of files from plains.nodak.edu in the pub/amiga/tmp
> directory; when un LHarced they yield a single file called "mod.filename".
> After aplying with this file, I ran it through SOUNDv2 and it has
> audible .IFF sounds in it. What program plays mod.* files?

Those are NoiseTracker/SoundTracker files.  A freely distributable
player called IntuiTracker is available via anonymous ftp from
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in /amiga/sounds/tools (note that neither
NoiseTracker or SoundTracker are freely distributable).

There are some modules available in /amiga/sounds/ntmodules, and more
in /incoming/amiga (somewhere)...

	...tad

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) (09/14/90)

    Don't forget ST/NT modules can also be played and edited with

       **************        MED 2.10          ***************

       The best (and possibly only) PD music composition system.
  Now if it could read Sonix and DMCS files....... And let me print some of
  this music....

--
 adam hill                                   Everybody lies about sex.
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu    BOING!4Ever     Rub HER feet!

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep14.085931.8455@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) writes:

>    Don't forget ST/NT modules can also be played and edited with
>

>       **************        MED 2.10          ***************
>
>       The best (and possibly only) PD music composition system.
>  Now if it could read Sonix and DMCS files....... And let me print some of
>  this music....

......and (adding to the wish list) if it would read in midi files created
by Bars & Pipes, MusicX or Dr. T's. It could then be used as a "music
compiler", creating stand alone versions of compositions. Medplayer works
very nicely as a background music player for animations, etc. It's internal
sample player support is wonderful! As a compositional tool, though, it's a
bit lacking. One cannot argue with the price, however.

If someone knows of something that will do what I've described, I'd like to
hear about it.

--hal

--
hgm@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu          "He was a legendary hero,
netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet          his IQ was zero."

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (09/15/90)

On 14 Sep 90 18:20:40 GMT you said:
>In article <1990Sep14.085931.8455@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu
>(Col. Ames and Pixel) writes:
>>

>>    Don't forget ST/NT modules can also be played and edited with
>>

>>       **************        MED 2.10          ***************
>>
>>       The best (and possibly only) PD music composition system.
>>  Now if it could read Sonix and DMCS files....... And let me print some of
>>  this music....
>>

>......and (adding to the wish list) if it would read in midi files created
>by Bars & Pipes, MusicX or Dr. T's. It could then be used as a "music
>compiler", creating stand alone versions of compositions. Medplayer works
>very nicely as a background music player for animations, etc. It's internal
>sample player support is wonderful! As a compositional tool, though, it's a
>bit lacking. One cannot argue with the price, however.
>
>If someone knows of something that will do what I've described, I'd like to
>hear about it.

But the BIIIIIIIIGGGGG question is DOES IT RUN ON 2.0!?!?!?!?!?

Not that I have found. :-(

>--hal
>
>--
>hgm@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu          "He was a legendary hero,
>netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet          his IQ was zero."
>		                Zoogz Rift

||To steal from one is plagiarism.  To steal from many is research.    ||
||___________________________________               ---UNKNOWN---      ||
||                                   |      / /                        ||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) (09/15/90)

      Under 2.0 you get a green box with

  MED: ciaa A timer in use

  Isn't this what SONIX does????
  If anyone from BK's home country could relay this fact, it would be much
appreciated.
--
 adam hill                                   Everybody lies about sex.
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu    BOING!4Ever     Rub HER feet!
                                             It's better to copulate than never
 AmigaDos2.0 - A VW with $10,000 in options.         --Robert A. Heinlein

maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent) (09/18/90)

	There are few programs I know that play the SoundTracker's mod. files.
	Intuitracker is one, and Noisetracker is another good player/editor.
	The newer versions of MED does that too, but not a very good job.
	Soundtracker, of course, could play the mod.  sound modules too.

	Hope that helps!!

	p.s.	Does anyone know if there is a source where I could get
		mod.  files (lots of it)?   A FTP site, Internet, mail, etc.
		I will greatly appreciate it if you could mail me directly
		at     maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu    .    Thank you very much!!

	p.s.s.	I love these modules because they sounds different (then sonix
		and DMCS's music files.   Somewhat more precise).

			Currently, I have these ..........

			Magnetic field
			Prelude
			Jarre
			Walkman
			Stories never end
			Echoing
			When the saint...
			Love song
			Airborne rabbit
			......                    that's it.  I think.

--
[]  Only Amiga makes it Possible..  | InnerTangent: maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu []